PDA

View Full Version : Spaniards Vs. Greenies

nmbrinkman
06-27-2006, 11:07 AM
I started saltwater fishing in california in february....I've noticed a few things after 170+ hours on the water...one is, and most importantly, that greenback mackerel seem to be a better bait compared to their spanish cousins......Everybody has their own preferences, it just seems that spanish macs seem to not be very energetic or lively when compared to the greenback....Once when trolling a greenback I noticed it running behind me, next to me and even and past me :P (never seen that outta a spaniard).....but a seal ( i think) was the recipient of my prize bait.....What do you guys have to say about it? AND...does anyone know a way to catch more greenies than spanish? I would spend a lot less time makin bait if I cut the crap (in my opinion) and caught the greenies....

Dan
06-27-2006, 11:45 AM
bait up at the pier for greenies.....don't discount the spanish macs moving into the summer months--tough as nails and the yellows eat em up.

Ryan The Sealion
06-27-2006, 01:39 PM
I like em both, but like dan said, the spanish are tough and live longer in ur tank.. I can't keep the calico's off my spanish..

nmbrinkman
06-27-2006, 02:18 PM
really!? shows what I've learned over the last few months....I only bring this up because whenever I troll a greenback and reel it in to remove eel grass, they go right back to running away, peeling line as they do.....

Dean Machine
06-27-2006, 02:20 PM
I agree that spanish are tougher than the greenies and have caught some toad calico on them more than once. :shock: I think whatever bait is present is the bait to use but when given a choice I will opt for the greenie. I don't really know why though. Maybe because a spanish will last longer in the tank and if I had to I would probably rather eat the greenie!! :lol:

tylerdurden
06-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Spanish are much tougher when it comes to crowding in the bait tank. Never had one die in the tank. When I cram my bait tank I always have a few greenies roll. I have caught half my yt this year on spanish and half on greenies. I know at least one big wsb was also caught on a spanish. That being said I still prefer to troll a greenie when I have a choice.

kurt
06-27-2006, 03:01 PM
There's some days that size seems more important than type. I remember one day where Lamb caught about 7YT on big, big greenbacks. My small greenbacks went untouched, so I put out the biggest spanish I'd ever caught and was picked up within minutes. It never hurts to try something different. I'm gonna try flylining grasshoppers this weekend.

tylerdurden
06-27-2006, 03:09 PM
I remember one day where Lamb caught about 7YT on big, big greenbacks.

I remember that epic day well. I was brand new to this and just got to sit around and watch everyone else catch fish while my baits went untouched. Very frustrating.

cajunman
06-27-2006, 03:21 PM
just remember, kurtson,,
patience with grasshopper patience
8)

madscientist
06-27-2006, 03:49 PM
I caught my third WSB last year on a half dead smelt and my first halibut on a dead sardine. The first rule is there are no rules. Go with what you feel confident in.

I prefer to troll greenies because they can keep up if I pick up the pace. A hard charge will usually do a spanish in, unless it's a big one on 'roids.

Razorback
06-27-2006, 03:57 PM
AND...does anyone know a way to catch more greenies than spanish? ..

I seem to pick up more Greenies and less Spanish while using a larger Sabiki. I have good luck with the Size 6 tri-color by Mustad. Smash the barb down to make unhooking easier. Less handling = longer and friskier lifespan.

.02cents

T-Rex
06-27-2006, 04:11 PM
I like greenies better because they've got fewer spikes to jab me with! :lol:

skiffman
06-27-2006, 04:35 PM
I find the sea lions don't eat the spanish as well as the greenbacks. Less spines I would guess. Fish with what you catch for bait. They all catch fish. As stated before, you must fish with confidence.

nmbrinkman
06-27-2006, 05:19 PM
It's nice to get a variety of opinions :P It's kinda hard to get this kinda info "on the water"....too much going on to sit and bs....especially if you just met....."so what do you prefer"...kinda weird :roll: ...thanks for the feedback....