PDA

View Full Version : Bilge pump cap

Regor
05-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Anyone know where to get the black cap for the Attwood Bilge pump? Mine is MIA, and I'd like to pick one up, but haven't been able to find them anywhere.

See pic:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/637/Livewell-pump.jpg

dsafety
05-15-2011, 03:23 PM
I think that is the same pump used in the Hobie bait tank. If so, the output is treaded with hose threads the same size as a garden hose. You can get threaded caps at most irrigation supply stores.

Bob

Billy V
05-15-2011, 08:46 PM
A small piece of Pool Noodle works as a cork.

Regor
05-16-2011, 08:25 AM
A small piece of Pool Noodle works as a cork.

Ah ... yeah ... wasn't even thinking of corking internally, only capping eternally. For that matter, I have numerous sizes of corks I can use also.

Bob - yes, this is my Hobie pump. The only issue with a screw on cap is that of screwing on/off down in the livewell behind you, with the swells, etc. Just capping off with a rubber cap or plugging with a cork would be much easier, faster, and corks are readily available in my house (not saying that we do a little drinking of the vino ) ;)

dsafety
05-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Ah ... yeah ... wasn't even thinking of corking internally, only capping eternally. For that matter, I have numerous sizes of corks I can use also.

Bob - yes, this is my Hobie pump. The only issue with a screw on cap is that of screwing on/off down in the livewell behind you, with the swells, etc. Just capping off with a rubber cap or plugging with a cork would be much easier, faster, and corks are readily available in my house (not saying that we do a little drinking of the vino ) ;)

Greg,

There is a better way to prevent the tank from draining. Search the innovations thread for post #37. Basically, I screwed a 90 degree ell on to the pump output and then attached a piece of tubing to it. When tube is pointing up, it above the water line in the tank so it cannot drain away if you turn off the motor. Rotate the tube so it is on the bottom of the tank, water will drain away, (I do this on the way in to make the tank lighter).

This setup has another useful feature. If your intake gets plugged up while on the water, blow air through the tube, (I carry a piece of sprinkler riser with me which I insert into the tube when needed.) Sucking water in will prime the pump if you are sitting still or the pump will not self prime.

Bob