PDA

View Full Version : First time in the big blue, sort of..

yotasan
05-28-2011, 11:03 AM
After tooling around on Irvine Lake to get used to to the kayak, I finally took it to Dana Point (Baby Beach; fittingly named for a begginer like me) and WOW, what an experience.. I don't think I'll ever go back to the lake.. In due time I'll go out past the rocks. Any one want to join me? I got my fishing stuff converted from freshwater and ready to go, my PFD, fish finder, tackle, just need the most important thing... BALLS.

So if any wants to join me out there, I'm looking for a MENTOR.

TAKE ME FISHING

JOE aka YOTASAN :D:D:D

Vikingj
05-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Nice scenery- and it will just get better as the sun (and bikinis) come out. That's smart to build up your confidence 1st. Once you get outside and get use to it you'll wonder why you were worried. Good luck and thanks for posting
Wayne

flydigital
05-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Hey Joe,

Glad to see you doing it the right way.. working up your experience and confidence one step at a time. There is tons to see and explore as you work your way out of the harbor, but the harbor is lots of fun too... and the scenery of course is excellent.

A few suggestions while you are at this stage:

- Try dismounting and remounting your kayak, you will probably need to do this one day out on the open water with wind and swell. Training for it in the harbor is a great idea.

- Watch out for the pelicans and cormorants. They are evil.

- Fish near the bait barge when there is some tidal movement and you can get bass, halibut, barricuda, croaker and other surprises. There isn't much for big fish but plenty to tug on.

- Get a bait tank on that bad boy... you will catch much more fish with live bait. $10 a scoop at the bait barge for sardines and you can build yourself a tank for about $50. But like I said, watch out for the evil birds. They love kayakers.

- Get a VHF radio when you decide to venture out of the harbor. Never know when you'll need it. Oh, and a manual bilge pump too.

I'd be happy to fish with you any time. I am out there usually on Saturdays, just look for a big guy on a red Revo.

Hypoxic1
05-28-2011, 02:29 PM
I have seen that girl on that standup board actually stand upside down on her head on that board on the water. shes got amazing.....everything:biggrinjester:

steveooo
05-28-2011, 03:04 PM
I have seen that girl on that standup board actually stand upside down on her head on that board on the water. shes got amazing.....everything:biggrinjester:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/bigsteveorr/864ab499.jpg

Amish Ed
05-28-2011, 10:52 PM
The next couple of weeks I'm going to be busy, but I usually fish on mon or tues mornings. The 13th or 14th I'm planning to fish the Pipe if you want to join me.