PDA

View Full Version : 6-20 La Jolla

Boneshaker21
06-20-2011, 05:56 PM
So I went out for my 2nd adventure to La jolla and this was much more productive.

Was hoping to be out really early but went to leave and my vans battery was dead. With no one around to jump it I had to call AAA which set me back a good hour and a half.

Finally got on the water and came up to the fleet of yakers out there. Dropped my iron down to the bottom, placed it in the rod holder and within minutes it was doubled over. Could it be my first WSB or yellowtail from a kayak?!?!
No... fought it forever and turned out to be the biggest Bat ray I have ever caught let alone seen. Fun fight though.

BTW thanks to RK who had offered to assist in landing the fish before we knew it was a ray. Was able to pop the jig at the service and let the beast swim away free without a big iron in its mouth...

So back into the fleet... After a couple of sand bass on a swimbait the jig rod doubled over again. Fight on and this time it felt a little more like the right kind... But what do I know... Turned out to be another mud marlin haha.. This one much smaller.
Thinks time thanks to Matt Moyer for the assist in getting my iron back from the beast...

So after another hour or 2 of nothing I met with Joe or "SAR" in the kelps for some great action on assorted bottom critters. Had a blast fishing and shooting the s*** with Joe. Managed some fish taco meat for tonight to keep the girlfriend happy =)

All in all a great day and was once again very impressed and stoked on how nice and cool everyone is out there. Everyone I met was very helpful and gave me some tips and pointers for different tactics in the La Jolla area.

Hope to see you all out there again soon and thanks again to everyone...

-Jared P

FlyFishinYakr
06-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Did you get out earlier than your last excursion at least?
Great to hear available BWE members lent you a hand...Kudos to them.
Always enjoy hearing about the following so I have to ask...any misadventures on the launch or landing?
FFY

lbsurf2ca
06-20-2011, 07:31 PM
That is more than i have ever caught in LJ

Boneshaker21
06-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Yes even with the dead battery incident I was still on the water by like 8 which is still late but way earlier then 930 haha.

I actually for the 2nd trip in a row had a smooth take off and landing although I have biffed it many times in the past in the Newport/Huntington area. The surf has been nice and low in La Jolla for me to launch which is awesome.

coxtanker421
06-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Thx 4 report. Maybe I should tie on an iron. At the least put a bend it rod.:reel:

addicted2sp33d
06-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Thx 4 report. Maybe I should tie on an iron. At the least put a bend it rod.:reel:

When I troll a deep-diving crankbait with light/medium tackle, I get all kinds of funny looks 'cause the rod is bent and the tip vibrates like I have something on the other end.

RK
06-21-2011, 01:11 PM
"Bro if you help me gaff it ill give you half the meat"!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
That was the best thing I heard all day, if your polite and respectful to people on the water(or in any situation) 9 times out of 10 it will be recipricated, there are a lot of salty dudes that work really hard to time and locate bites and they just dont want to see all of the ground work and recon missions to dial in get blown up in online reports that get posted while the bite is still flaring, that being said the bat ray fishing is wide open go have at em.....
Bat rays are also wide open at shelter island pier, j street marina, and the channel just opposite the port of san diego, all of which are shorter paddles than LJ, and people dont have to worry about those big vicious sharks.
Nice to meet you too dude:cheers1:

Boneshaker21
06-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Hahahaha that was the first thing that popped in my head was to offer half of the gaffed fished and I totally would have held up my end of the offer lol...

I was in panic mode considering I was used to only Spottys pulling my line from the kayak.

Cheers and nice meeting you out there man!:cheers1: