PDA

View Full Version : Yellowtail Bacteria

stevo
07-27-2006, 12:41 PM
I had a friend recently tell me he took his 30lb YT he caught 40 miles SW off SD, to a sushi shef friend of his and he alerted him of the Bacteria in Yellowtail. He said as soon as you catch the fish, you need to cut off the head and tail and gut em. He said the bacteria gets released as soon as it begins to die ?. Then he said you freeze the meat, take it out and soak it in sake and salt, then wrap it up and freeze until you eat it. Now this may be for sushi grade sashimi but for BBQ?. The shef is going to test the fish before he takes it. Has anyone ever heard of such a claim?.

rastrev
07-27-2006, 01:53 PM
I have eaten LJ caught YT raw on several occassions with no problems, and will hopefully be able to do so agian soon :D , thanks for the heads up though

http://sdkayakfishing.com/rastrev/albums/album01/12_3_012.sized.jpg

Grego
07-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Never heard of that, seems like a recipe to me, to eat it cooked later on. Salt draws water out, sake could make the meat sweet.

The chef certainly can't mean to eat it later on sashimi style. Frozen stuff taste like crap, the coloring, taste, and texture is a dead give away that it was frozen. I wouldn't even make poke out of frozen stuff. I think maybe you can make spicy tuna roll mix with it since you mash it up and douse it with seasoning anyhow.

DESTROYER
07-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Drink a lot of sake when you eat it and it will kill the bacateria :D :lol: :D :lol:

Matt

mizu
07-27-2006, 10:06 PM
If that chef is japanese,he may mean the "Ciguatera Fish Poisoning "that is commonly known in Japan.all sushi chef must know this.
http://www.holistichealthtopics.com/HMG/ciguatera.html
I know a few of my friends talk about it and I've also heard of some lawsuits toward sushi restaurant in japan for people got sick because of that bacteria.
but I myself had never had problem with fish that I ate in raw all my life.
so i will keep eating.
if LJ YTL have problem with bacteria,we all know about that for long time already and most of all commercial fisherman should know.
I think we should not worry about.

btw,WASABI kills bacteria(one German scientist found out).
Gari(pickled ginger)also kills bacteria.

it make all sense that we eat sushi or sashimi with those stuff.

mizu

Zed
07-28-2006, 08:48 AM
http://www.patronspirits.com/images/photos/spirits/gran_patron.jpg
Kills bacteria, too.

madscientist
07-28-2006, 09:04 AM
For what it's worth, I've eaten a lot of LJ YT sashimi in the past couple of years and have never had ill effect. Then again, I usually have a lot of sake with it, so maybe that the key. I never freeze it or soak it or any of these other tricks. Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but I really don't see how the bacteria could spread into the meat that quickly, particulaly if you bleed it, unless you got a belly gaff shot. Even then I'm skeptical. Gutting it ASAP probably can't hurt, but my experience would say it is unnecessary.

vellocity
07-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Never heard of that, seems like a recipe to me, to eat it cooked later on. Salt draws water out, sake could make the meat sweet.

The chef certainly can't mean to eat it later on sashimi style. Frozen stuff taste like crap, the coloring, taste, and texture is a dead give away that it was frozen. I wouldn't even make poke out of frozen stuff. I think maybe you can make spicy tuna roll mix with it since you mash it up and douse it with seasoning anyhow.

never had a problem eating raw Hamachi either..
but.....about frozen fish..
ALOT of the Sashimi and Sushi we eat at majority of the Japanese restaurants ARE indeed frozen..
Tuna is flash frozen, and even treated with a coloring agent to make it perfectly pink/red...
Hamachi is ALL from farm raised Japan YT and frozen... that's why restaurant Hamachi taste so oily and buttery, and our local YT taste so crunchy and tough.. kinda like farm raised salmon and wild caught salmon, two completely different tastes and textures!

i like fresh caught tuna sashimi over restaurant tuna sashimi
i like farm raised hamachi over our local fresh hamachi... whoops!
i like farm raised salmon over wild caught salmon too! farm raised taste more oily

Fishin Phil
07-28-2006, 07:33 PM
I would think worms would be more of a concern in a big fish instead of a bacteria.

cajunman
07-29-2006, 05:13 PM
IF you are Cajun, bacteria doesn't bother you either,, we used to use bacteria for seasoning back in Louisiana

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Grego
07-29-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm with ya Nelz... Flash freezing is great like on the long range boats, but that's way different than the way you and I freeze local catches. I'm kinda spoiled and don't really eat at sushi bars because I'm fortunate to have a brother with friends who are 3 day and long range fishing fanatics and they mutually share catches throughout the year. I've actually gotten tired of eating BFT/YFT and Albies so many times in a row...during a good season that is.

It's good you know hamachi and YT are different...I never say anything cuz I'll get blasted for being anal...:lol: Ya know farm raised salmon has that dye to give it that pink color which is known to cause some kind of medical problem....

zeelaagee
07-30-2006, 10:55 AM
I used to work in a sushi restaurant, have eaten many a sushi meal myself- but have never been sick from any bacteria or paracite. The truth is that any organism is prone to bacteria- do you know how many cows can make the composition of one burger? 300! :shock: It's not the bacteria that gets you- it's their waste products. All those little guys have to poop too! Proper care and refridgeration will protect you better than anything else.

It is true- as i have heard- that the pickled ginger does kill bacteria. I have also heard that wasabi doing the same is a bit of a myth. I've never personally done any scientific experiments- but i do love to eat plenty of ginger when i dine on sushi.

madscientist
07-30-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm with ya Nelz... Flash freezing is great like on the long range boats, but that's way different than the way you and I freeze local catches. I'm kinda spoiled and don't really eat at sushi bars because I'm fortunate to have a brother with friends who are 3 day and long range fishing fanatics and they mutually share catches throughout the year. I've actually gotten tired of eating BFT/YFT and Albies so many times in a row...during a good season that is.

It's good you know hamachi and YT are different...I never say anything cuz I'll get blasted for being anal...:lol: Ya know farm raised salmon has that dye to give it that pink color which is known to cause some kind of medical problem....

A Japanese colleague of mine explained that "hamachi" actually refers to a size range of YT. There are 4 or 5 different words for YT depending on the size of the fish. I think hamachi topped out at 10 kilos, above that was something like "budo" (or close, I forget). I agree that the farm raised stuff in sushi places is a little better, but every now and then I get a really good one out of LJ. I can often tell as I'm filleting them, some are just more oily than others.

Tman
07-30-2006, 06:24 PM
http://www.patronspirits.com/images/photos/spirits/gran_patron.jpg
Kills bacteria, too.

Lately I've not had to worry about it...thank the neighbors...all I have to do is fillet and bag it for them, and keep my cuts.... :lol:

Tman
07-30-2006, 06:27 PM
This works better....

http://www.pocotequila.com/graphics/pics-mexico/almendrado-reserva.jpg

mizu
07-30-2006, 08:22 PM
I think hamachi topped out at 10 kilos, above that was something like "budo" (or close, I forget).

Tokyo area:

WAKASHI(8inch size)
INADA(16inch size)
WARASA(24inch size)
BURI(32inch Over)

Osaka area:

TSUBASU(8inch size)
HAMACHI(16inch size)
MEJIRO or MEBARU(24inch size)
BURI(32inch Over)

The reason why they start calling "farm raised BURI"as "Hamachi"
is size of fish are all those HAMACHI size (16inch).
They don't wait till fish become big,because small fish are easy to handle and transporting.

However,YTL we see here from Mexican water to So.ca.
are NOT none of those above!

Yellowtail (Seriola lalandi) are called "HIRAMASA"in Japanese.
They are same as Yellowtail Kingfish (Seriola lalandi) in Australia.
HIRAMASA and BURI look similar though,but HIRAMASA fight more
than BURI.That's why HIRAMASA is most popular jigging target fish in Japan.

Those Hamachi(either farm raised or wild) we eat at Sushi place
are "Seriola quinqueradiata".but they call them Yellowtail as well in English. :wink:

Excuse my jap-english 8)

nmbrinkman
07-31-2006, 12:20 PM
:shock: too complicated... they're yellowtail to me... that is interesting though...

madscientist
07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the info mizu. I knew I was going to get it wrong.

mizu
07-31-2006, 03:26 PM
no problem,Brad.

ok now,I am gonna shut my mouth up! :shock:

NO MORE TALKING!

Let's fish YTL! :wink: