PDA

View Full Version : Midriff mothership

Iceman
09-04-2005, 11:53 AM
http://www.desertmuseum.org/images/CGCAngel23.jpg

http://www.bajadestinations.com/hbarc/hb2001/hb010411/celia2.jpg

http://www.kayaker.net/baja0404/mfh_0050.jpg

http://www.csun.edu/~mbgsclub/images/horsehead.jpg

I am looking into the possibilities of booking a Spring and Fall charter to the Midriff Islands, mothershipping kayaks instead of pangas. Guaging interest and would appreciate information from those that have done the panga mothership trips out of San Felipe. I have wanted to do this trip for years. There may be a possibillity of a shorter Spring trip, fishing the upper islands and a 6 day Fall trip. I will be looking into rates and openings. If you are among those interested please respond.

kurt
09-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Count me in. Something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Lit-up1
09-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Andy,

I have done the trip about 6 or 7 times. Once on the Erik and the rest on the Captain Villegas. Only once with the Kayak, but the Captain Villegas is yak friendly. I am interested so keep me posted. I have lots of "how to.." type info and the trip is a real adventure Yak or panga.

Thanks,
Dave

tattuna
09-04-2005, 12:38 PM
I've done the Midriff trips before and they're awesome, as hardcore as it gets! Got one planneed for late June '06, but I'd love to do it from the yak. Keep us posted, this would be one hell of a trip!

Jeff S.
09-05-2005, 09:52 AM
I would think the local response would be favorable to fill a trip. I'd look for service and accomadations in a mothership first, rather than cost. I have heard of a charter that went awry because of less than humane conditions aboard and unfullfilled expectations. I talked with the captain of the Islander at the first non-kayak meeting and he can do a overnighter to Bahia Soledad/Punta China/Punta San Jose area with kayaks, could be a interim teaser. Midriff would be an awesome adventure in many different ways though, an experience for sure.

Jeff S.

Hook 1
09-05-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm down with that. Fall would be the time.

cabojohn
09-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Heck yea! :D
Does the mother ship have AC? he he
I am very interested too. Please let us know the dates asap.

John

'Cuda
09-06-2005, 05:58 AM
Definately interested in the fall or spring. Make sure the fish counts are normal...I've already been skunked this past spring after 3 weeks in the Mulege/Loreto area both on panga and kayak and they still are not catching.

lamb
09-06-2005, 07:35 AM
With the proper notice, and given that my wife doesn’t dump me because of all the time spent on the water...

...count me in!!!

madscientist
09-06-2005, 09:00 AM
With the proper notice, and given that my wife doesn’t dump me because of all the time spent on the water...

...count me in!!!

Likewise.

C-level
09-06-2005, 12:15 PM

...count me in!!!

I second that motion :!: I'm in...with the above stipulations
Todd :D

Iceman
09-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Most recent, published catch report for the "Erik" 6 day trip, including released fish:

255 yellowtail

580 cabrilla

9 pargo

3 sheephead

4 grouper

1 roosterfish

56 dorado

500 misc (spotties, triggers etc)

madscientist
09-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Most recent, published catch report for the "Erik" 6 day trip, including released fish:

255 yellowtail

580 cabrilla

9 pargo

3 sheephead

4 grouper

1 roosterfish

56 dorado

500 misc (spotties, triggers etc)

For how many anglers? And what's a cabrilla?

Iceman
09-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Brad I think capacity on the Erik is now 30, not sure if that trip was filled. Here are some nicer spotted cabrilla, also called pinto bass down in Baja.

http://www.bajadestinations.com/fishid/CabrillaSpotted/CabrillaSpotted.jpg

aguachico
09-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Dennis Spike did this trip with yaks before. You may get some info from him.

Remeber it's the Midriff trip that killed an angler on the mothership trip. Don't go cheap and risk safety. The Cortez can go from a lake to a full blown chubasco in a heart beat.

Having the PANGAS do the yak distribution will increase your range, fishing and safety to get back to the mothership. Forgoing the pangas will probably not save you much $$$.

Don't go during or around the full.

I'd like to fish San Fransiquito.

Wish I could join you.

Bolt Man
09-16-2005, 11:46 AM
I just got back from a Tony Reyes trip a few weeks back. The weather really came up big time in the afternoon each day. I'm guessing 15-20kts with 3-4 capped swells. Really hot and humid too. We were sweating like dogs just sitting there with bait on the bottom. Our fishing wasn't too good but still had fun.

From what I understand, summer is more dropper loop fishing down deep which is what we mostly did and spring is more surface and surface iron fishing.

The crew was very good on the Reyes. Deckhands would gut and gill and rinse the fish immediately when you got back on the boat and put them on ice below. The food was awesome the whole time. A kayak trip in spring for WSB and yellows would probably go off!!

Blair
09-16-2005, 04:42 PM
hmm Intresting trip. If I get the details early enough i might do this instead of my fall 5 day next year

TACO DESTROYER
11-05-2005, 08:00 AM
hey, im planning to go this spring, but if this kayak trip goes thru Im in, thanks iceman keep us posted.