PDA

View Full Version : Looking at getting a new rod & reel

Iebadboy
02-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Looking into getting a new set up want to use it for casting irons and possible fly lining mackerel for big yellow, sea bass and possible thresher I already have a shimono Luna 300 and an 8' dollbs rods 15"-30". What would be a decent all around rod? I usually go for shimono rods and dawai reels.

Drake
02-09-2012, 01:18 AM
The Teremar series of shimano >8' is pretty nice for throwing irons. I sometimes use mine for flylining macks or tossing big hammers as well. I have an Avet sx on mine with Magic cast, but now that I'm more comfortable with throwing bait casters, I've been using my Abu Garcia Alphamar 20 on it.

If you're looking for something light weight, I would absolutely use a 6'6" Shimano Trevala 50-100lb with a Saragosa 4000F (it's a spinning set up)

It so light weight, throws Tady 4/0, 9's, 7x and any iron for MILES and it stiff enough to flyline swim baits for hali or YT. When I first moved to SD, people down at the shores looked at me like I was high when I paddled out with trevala spinning set ups. No joke, these could pull 50# class YT out of kelp no problem. I've landed Mahi and football tuna with them.

It's hard to classify any set up as all around when you talk about throwing irons and fly lining. Completely different beasts. But if I HAD to have one set up for both, go for a set up that can throw iron better than flylining baits, as opposed to a set up that fly lines better than it throws irons. If that makes sense....

Hope that help, disregard my typos..... I've had a bit to drink lol

yaky yak
02-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Its kind of an individual thing, especially with so many choices. My self, I have my eye on the Shimano teramar WC inshore jig bait Rod TMC90MH 9'0" Me. Along with a Penn Squall Lever Drag reel.
I just got a daiwa sealine 30 and its a sweet reel too.

The Kid
02-09-2012, 01:21 PM
When I first moved to SD, people down at the shores looked at me like I was high when I paddled out with trevala spinning set ups. No joke, these could pull 50# class YT out of kelp no problem. I've landed Mahi and football tuna with them.

It's hard to make that claim until you've had a 50 lb yellow proving this statement wrong. Dodos and FOOTBALL tunas are nothing compared to a very pissed off yellow. Until the day one of those sticks pulls up a 50 lb yellow I will stick with Seeker Rods and conventional reels.

@Iebadboy. Try using a Super Seeker 990. It is a lightweight 9' rod. It can handle 45s and a nice big mackeral. Pair that with a Daiwa Seagate 40 and you can't go wrong.

RK
02-09-2012, 02:00 PM
No joke, these could pull 50# class YT out of kelp no problem.

You obviously know that from experiencing that situation?

BadBoy hahahahahha I cant get enough of that one.... If your on a budget crunch go with the sealines new $109, used 60-70 bucks and they are bulletproof, and rods if buying new isnt an option theres all kinds of great stuff on the classifieds here and BD, and on this forum theres a guy named fishaholic that apparently has incredible gear for great prices...

Dont buy shitty gear, not sure where your planning on fishing but those species you mentioned will test your gear to its maximum potential. Ive never caught a 50 pound yellow but I have a great feeling of how that would go and you dont wanna be caught with your dick in your hand if ya know what I mean...

Ive only heard of one waterman bagging such a beauty I just cant remember if it was 50 or 60 pounds.....

robmandel
02-09-2012, 02:05 PM
I have a zebco spincast rod that can pull a greased string out of a dead cat's ass. will that work on LJ yellows?

by the way, don't ask me how I know that :D:D:D

RK
02-09-2012, 02:08 PM
HAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA

mtnbykr2
02-09-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a zebco spincast rod that can pull a greased string out of a dead cat's ass. will that work on LJ yellows?

by the way, don't ask me how I know that :D:D:D
too funny, wait how did you know that?:svengo:

taggermike
02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
You don't need every rod in the shop to get started LJ kayak fishing. But that said, a surface iron/bait stick combo is a tough thing to do. Surface iron rods don't tend to make very good bait sticks and vice versa. Most of the local surface iron sticks are 8-10 feet long with a slower action or are even parabolic. The terramars that the guys have mentioned would be good. And a Daiwa reel to go on it, you can't go wrong with a sealine 40 of 50. I like the 40 with the slower gear ratio. There is also the saltist reels too. As for bait sticks, I like a rod that is long enough to let you go around the bow of the yak. Any thing much longer than that just puts the leverage on the fish's side. 6-7 feet is good. As to a shimano rod like that I'm not too familiar. Fast action, graphite, maybe rated 20-40lbs. The best reason I can see to have seperate jig and bait sticks is you always want to have your surface iron rod ready. And if you're trolling a mackeral on it it's not ready. Some times the fish are only up for a few seconds or it's one fish tailing along. That jig stick needs to "locked and loaded" and where you can reach it. Mike

deepdvr
02-09-2012, 08:25 PM
It so light weight, throws Tady 4/0, 9's, 7x and any iron for MILES

:confused: Only time a Tady 4/0 is flying through the air is when it's being thrown at someone's head.