PDA

View Full Version : Apparently El Nino is coming

nmbrinkman
09-13-2006, 12:17 PM
I just heard that we can expect another El Nino. From what I hear, the '97 fishing season was EPIC. Did anyone here fish LJ that year? What can we expect as far as catch goes?

esdees
09-13-2006, 06:07 PM
I remember bonita being WIDE open at the OB pier... I can't imagine what it must have been like at LJ.

-Patrick

FISHIONADO
09-13-2006, 06:45 PM
1997 was the best surf year of my life, swells broke decent or epic all year. I remember surfing donuts or dolphin tanks and seeing hundreds of fishermen on boats hooked up outside the kelp. I regret the billions in property damage and lost lives from an el nino but look forward to the surf and fish.

vellocity
09-13-2006, 08:32 PM
yeah same.. epic surf summer for south swells.. two catergory 5 hurricanes Guilermo and Linda were huge swell givers....
water was warm like it is now until late November that year...

wish i knew about fishing back then!

Croaker Dave
09-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Sept. 13, 2006 — Scientists at the NOAA Climate Prediction Center reported today that El Niño conditions have developed in the tropical Pacific and are likely to continue into early 2007. Ocean temperatures increased remarkably in the equatorial Pacific during the last two weeks. "Currently, weak El Niño conditions exist, but there is a potential for this event to strengthen into a moderate event by winter," said Vernon Kousky, NOAA's lead El Niño forecaster.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2699.htm

Calcutta
09-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Linda was epic!! Oh yeah, the fishing was fun, too, but Linda sticks out! :D

Point breaks in DP, one in particular, were world class

not many times you need a 7'2" in OC- no way you were getting close to the boilers for the checkers during that swell!!

Bring on the El Nino, and somebody take out those frickin seiners

Fishionado, Ralphs must have been wrapping, too? must have been epic down there!