PDA

View Full Version : Girl Power SD Harbor 04/20/2012

KatFish
04-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Well I went out for the first time without the hubby! I didn't do so bad. Caught a sculpin and a bass. I had my friend come she caught a sculpin too! We had a blast for a couple of hours while my daughter was in school. Water was calm and not to much boat traffic.

mtnbykr2
04-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Alright Katfish you go girl....hopefully you left somethin for us weekend warriors I will be there saturday sunday, weather should be great...
thanks for the report

Gigafish
04-20-2012, 02:14 PM
:luxhello:Great pics, nice bass. Thanks for sharing.

blitzburgh
04-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Way to go!

Monovasia
04-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Great way to spend a couple of hours.....

NEEFFF
04-20-2012, 03:46 PM
:luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

Amish Ed
04-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Good to see some reports from the ladies. Keep it up.

NextBite
04-21-2012, 11:49 AM
WTG! Kat :D

walrus
04-21-2012, 03:56 PM
fun and tacos, who could ask for more?

Nice catch.

KatFish
04-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Thanks guys! I am hoping to catch a BIG fish I think my husband has brain washed me fishing is all I think about and sometimes dream about lol I wouldn't thought of fish tacos but yummy I will make some now : ) my husband has taught me to load all the gear and to get them off the hook, bait the hook and measure them now the only thing left to teach me is how to do knots and stuff but that's coming very soon because I lost the hook this week on my poll but at least was smart enough to bring a back up just in case. But sucks I want to go this week and now I don't know how to tie my own hooks lmfao but I guess it won't kill me to wait until this weekend when he's home :reel:

radastaff
04-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys! I am hoping to catch a BIG fish I think my husband has brain washed me fishing is all I think about and sometimes dream about lol I wouldn't thought of fish tacos but yummy I will make some now : ) my husband has taught me to load all the gear and to get them off the hook, bait the hook and measure them now the only thing left to teach me is how to do knots and stuff but that's coming very soon because I lost the hook this week on my poll but at least was smart enough to bring a back up just in case. But sucks I want to go this week and now I don't know how to tie my own hooks lmfao but I guess it won't kill me to wait until this weekend when he's home :reel:
palomar knot
if u just learn one knot
thats the one to learn

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/helpful/tips-and-tricks/fishing-knots/
this is a great resource for trying to learn it on ure own

the second would be the dropper loop

THE DARKHORSE
04-22-2012, 01:42 PM
palomar knot
if u just learn one knot
thats the one to learn

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/helpful/tips-and-tricks/fishing-knots/
this is a great resource for trying to learn it on ure own

the second would be the dropper loop

I'm 100% confident, that in five minutes, you can learn to tie a knot that's of equal or greater strength than your hubbies. No doubt! Without selecting a knot for you, there's only one rule with tying a knot: A knot's either perfect or it's not. Learn what a perfect knot looks like and you're set. And never settle for a knot that, "kinda", looks right!

I've been tying the same knot since I was four years old. There's knots with higher breaking strength, but I continue to tie my knot of choice for a few reasons: For one, like I said, it's the same knot I've tied since I was a child. It's caught thousands of fish; so why change now? Secondly, it's very easy to tell if this knot is perfect---or not. The site above has my knot of choice listed as the, "half blood knot". Simply wrap the line six times and pass it back through the eye of the knot, lube with saliva (the most important part), and gingerly synch the knot until it's tight. Go ahead and give this knot a solid pull, though. As it's prone to slip if you don't. Never push the knot down with your fingers, though. It should synch down perfectly on it's own. If it doesn't, you're not handling the line properly. Like anything in life tying a good knot requires a bit of practice. If it looks machined down, "perfect", when you're done then it's good to go.

My advice is to go a step further, though: re-spool that reel with spectra and go drag a Greenback Mackerel around in local waters. When your hubby gets home and sees the giant ice-chest you had to buy from Costco---to fit that massive White Sea Bass---guaranteed happy marriage for life.

Or, he'll blow a gasket and never let you fish with him again. :D

MrPukaShell
04-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Great job on the Sculpin. They are one of the best for making ceviche. I usually clip the spines on their back to avoid any unnecessary pain when they come on board. Thanks for sharing and I agree with the rest. Google up some knots, get some extra weights and hooks and you will be well on your way. Good Luck

taggermike
04-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Well done Kat. SD Bay is a great fishery. There are plenty of websites that have excellent tutorials on way too many knots. Many have animated instructions that make following along easy. And like any thing else, practice makes perfect. I have learned maybe 20 knots over the years but but only use 4. Improved clinch, perfection loop, dropper loop, and back to back uni.
In your photos it looks like your sculpin still have thier spines intact. If you have a safe, secure place to store them thats ok, but if they are loose in your kayak it's a good habit to trim the spins. All the hard forward dorsal spines, anal spines and the pelvic fins are the ones that carry venom. Mike

KatFish
04-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Cool thanks for all the tips! I will b fishing LaJolla for the first time his weekend so am hoping to catch something big lol I hope I don't freak out and fall in lmfao but I'll let you all know how it goes :) I did make fish tacos but damn it's just easier to stop at a taco shop I'll save it for frying from now on

KatFish
04-24-2012, 07:43 PM
my homemade fish tacos

Gigafish
04-24-2012, 08:32 PM
The surf is forecasted at 2.5 to 3ft. Less is more when going out the first time. Any questions you need help with please post.

KatFish
04-24-2012, 10:55 PM
The surf is forecasted at 2.5 to 3ft. Less is more when going out the first time. Any questions you need help with please post.

THANKS! Will do :cool: