PDA

View Full Version : Question about Hobies

Jimmyz123
08-05-2012, 06:55 AM
With everything that we do whether it be peddling or paddling our kayaks there's always got to be an upside and a downside to everything. With paddling we all know the shoulders, back, and wrists sometimes feel the pain from the day out. Is this also true with Hobies in anyway? Surely not with the shoulders, but after a long day on the water do you feel pain or anything in your hips, knees, legs, or anything?

bus kid
08-05-2012, 07:04 AM
only my arse, but I suffer from a medical condition called nofatarsetocushion.
I made a pad a few weeks back and seems to be helping.

KatFish
08-05-2012, 07:11 AM
My knees get soar but it doesn't last long. When I was paddleing my right shoulder was in alot of pain. Actually it was in pain until last week the doc gave me a cortisone shot it my bursa. It feels much better now! So yes I'd chose peddle or paddle any day! Hope this helped.

Jimmyz123
08-05-2012, 07:26 AM
only my arse, but I suffer from a medical condition called nofatarsetocushion.
I made a pad a few weeks back and seems to be helping.

I know this one. When I bought my last Kayak there was a gel seat cushion the previous owner included with the sale, an that was the key for a comfy ride, so that did not get sold with my Kayak.

Jimmyz123
08-05-2012, 07:29 AM
My knees get soar but it doesn't last long. When I was paddleing my right shoulder was in alot of pain. Actually it was in pain until last week the doc gave me a cortisone shot it my bursa. It feels much better now! So yes I'd chose peddle or paddle any day! Hope this helped.

My shoulder sometimes hurts but that was caused from baseball when I was a kid. Once I warm up I'm fine, but I can see how some may give up the paddling for peddling due to shoulder pain. Personally I love the peace of paddling and the upper body workout I get. I totally respect the Peddling kayaks and think they are great, but I'll be sticking to the Paddling.

Good luck Catfishing today.

RockyRaab
08-05-2012, 08:04 AM
My pet peeve again: "Peddling" means selling door-to-door.

If my knees get sore while PEDALING, I know I've been allowing my legs to spread too far. Keeping my legs straighter immediately relieves that. Raising the seat of my PA14 4" helped a lot with that, too. Getting my knees below shoulder height made a huge difference.

Otherwise, PEDALING a Hobie takes less effort than walking, IMO. Much less than biking. I can troll for five+ hours and feel very little fatigue.

KatFish
08-05-2012, 08:19 AM

If my knees get sore while PEDALING, I know I've been allowing my legs to spread too far. Keeping my legs straighter immediately relieves that. Raising the seat of my PA14 4" helped a lot with that, too. Getting my knees below shoulder height made a huge difference.

Otherwise, PEDALING a Hobie takes less effort than walking, IMO. Much less than biking. I can troll for five+ hours and feel very little fatigue.

PEDALING!

bigbarrels
08-05-2012, 08:35 AM
right knee has been becoming sore this year......thought I was just getting old but maybe it's a position thing......if I'm not kayak fishing I'm on my MTB and so my knees get a bit overused......hands free fishing is well worth it:D

Jimmyz123
08-05-2012, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the correction.

PEDALING, and paddling(I checked, it's correct) have their ups and downs just the same.

packeryakker
08-05-2012, 11:54 AM
The only soreness I experience is a sore ass after a long day on water, I cut a custom cushion to fit over the stock Hobe seat and it has helped a lot.

vincentek9
08-05-2012, 12:44 PM
when i paddle.. my back (and sometimes shoulders) start aching. my arse starts to get numb because i have a crappy seat. and my legs start to lose blood circulation due to the fact that i cant move around much to get blood to them. i'm sure a hobie with a well padded seat will leave you feeling MUCH better at the end of the day compared to a paddle yak.

bus kid
08-05-2012, 02:26 PM
PEDALING!

Funny my spell check didn't highlight that. Added. PEDALING to it now. :you_rock:

YakMedic
08-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Personally I love the peace of paddling .

I agree. I switched to a Hobie Outback a while back and after a day on the water I no longer have the relaxed feeling I did after a day of paddling. I am however pushing my third shoulder surgery and see it as a necessary evil. I just take my wifes WS Tarpon out when I need a stress relief paddle.

What I have noticed is after a long day in the Hobie the next day my lower back is very tight, I think its from having my legs up so high while pedaling. Maybe if I had a higher perch like a PA it wouldn't be as bad.

echo1er
08-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I have no pain. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

Jimmyz123
08-06-2012, 07:43 AM
I have no pain. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

That's kind of a sharp, shooting pain right?

mtnbykr2
08-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Hey missed ya this weekend, maybe the next time huh...:reel:

Jonesyak
08-06-2012, 07:02 PM
First time I spent about 8 hours on the water pedaling around, at landing I tried to jump out of the yak in less than 2 feet of water. My legs buckled under me and I almost let the yak flip in the surf 3 or 4 times before the feeling came back to my legs lol.
<O:p</O:p

I am a pretty fit person, I just don’t abuse my thighs and calves on a regular basis, this was the first time I experienced jello legs, and perfectly at the wrong time. <O:p</O:p

For the record, Hobies rocks! I feel bad for everyone I see fighting the current and wind with their little paddle.

Tight lines!!
-Aaron

mazilla
08-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Neither.

:the_finger:

:p

mtnbykr2
08-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I did something like that at the baby beach in DP, tide went up thought I was in two feet, jumped out into six....lol funny as hell, with waders on, what a dumba$$...lol

warrior
08-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I've been paddling for about 5 years and just recently switched to an Outback. I have 4 trips and haven't felt anything major; I too have bad knees from my mountain biking days; football; track; martial arts, etc, etc, etc. I think once you learn to relax your peddle, just like a bike, it is a very comfortable ride.

I'm not as sore from my knees or legs peddling as I was from my shoulders, wrists and upper back when I paddled.

I can honestly say, that the soreness from either, is not enough from keeping me from venturing out, so which ever you chose; fish and be happy.

PapaDave
08-06-2012, 08:34 PM
I have a PA, raised the seat a little to be able to get under it, I am usually on the water 10-14 hours per trip. I pedal a lot and don't even feel it unless I am sprinting after some birds a mile off. And the seat in a PA is nice, no sore butts for me.

Jimmyz123
08-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Hey missed ya this weekend, maybe the next time huh...:reel:

I'm in the process of getting a Trident type Kayak. I had someone purchase mine on Friday.

jorluivil
08-06-2012, 09:55 PM
If you get a Hobie(except for the pa) save yourself the pain and get rid of the stock P O S seat if that's what it comes with, I went about a year with the stock one and still can't figure out why I waited so long to replace it. It took me a few trips to get the new seat dialed in but I seem to have found the right angle for it. In addition to the new seat I bought one of those gardening pads at Lowes and cut it in the same shape as the seat for additional support. I've been on the seat a few times now and this weekend I finally noticed that I'm not getting the same pain and discomfort that I was when I had the stock seat.

I bought last years model of this same seat.

p.s.
it doesn't come with a bottle of beer.

Go see Andy @ OEX, he'll take care of you
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/the-94/Seairsports-Pacific-Angler-Seat/Detail

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/catalog/DSC_5861.JPG