PDA

View Full Version : Whats the smallest/most unstable Yak...

October
08-09-2012, 07:45 PM
...you took out fishing in the open ocean?

Dennis
08-09-2012, 09:52 PM
When I first started fishing La Jolla, my buddy had a Mainstream Jazz, which was 9' (spinning rods in scupper holes) that he would lend me as he fished off of his Prowler 13. I was hooked and ended up buying my first fishing kayak (Xfactor), then switched to a Maurader, X13, Tarpon 14, and lastly Trident 15..

CheapPelican
08-09-2012, 10:11 PM
The pelican castaway in my avatar. Not fun in a washing machine. Great in the bay tho.

PapaDave
08-10-2012, 08:38 AM
A Hobie Mirage sport, it's capacity was about my weight. My first time fishing from a yak. Rolled it three times just outside Oceanside harbor. Lost most of my tackle and a phone, rods got tangled in the rudder so I saved those. I loved it... :confused:

Jonesyak
08-10-2012, 09:33 AM
I am using the hobie mirage classic. I am pretty sure the classic is the least stable of all hobies.

taggermike
08-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Not a kayak but befor I ever bought a kayak I fished of an ancient wind surfing board. Milk crate bungie corded to the front a little canoe paddle. That was a tippy SOB but I fished the shit out of that thing. Bays, LJ, I used to get the wierdest looks paddling around at the Salton Sea in August with 2 gallons of gatorade in the crate and huge corvina draggin along behind. Kinda miss the accessability that thing gave. Mike

Pocoloco
08-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Cobra sport through tourmaline is my first adventure. Calicos, halibut, and leo's.
Used a crocadile and a leadhead jig with a freshwater spinning reel. I was hooked. :reel:

lterrero
08-10-2012, 10:09 AM
A Hobie Mirage sport, it's capacity was about my weight. My first time fishing from a yak. Rolled it three times just outside Oceanside harbor. Lost most of my tackle and a phone, rods got tangled in the rudder so I saved those. I loved it... :confused:Ride a Cobra explore & then tell me which one is easier to tip than the Mirage Sport:)

Pocoloco
08-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Not a kayak but befor I ever bought a kayak I fished of an ancient wind surfing board. Milk crate bungie corded to the front a little canoe paddle. That was a tippy SOB but I fished the shit out of that thing. Bays, LJ, I used to get the wierdest looks paddling around at the Salton Sea in August with 2 gallons of gatorade in the crate and huge corvina draggin along behind. Kinda miss the accessability that thing gave. Mike

Thats what i did before all these kayaks started coming out. Strap a rod to the deck of my longboard, fanny pack full of tackle and out to the kelpbeds. Ahh, the good ol days.

lterrero
08-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Cobra sport through tourmaline is my first adventure. Calicos, halibut, and leo's.
Used a crocadile and a leadhead jig with a freshwater spinning reel. I was hooked. :reel:Hahahaha good old times; cheers my friend:)

MrPatrick
08-10-2012, 11:19 AM
A cobra XL, do not lean too far on this yak. Everyone that paddled it, dumped it except me. I came close a few times though.

surfnutnj
08-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Wilderness Tarpon 120...handles the ocean pretty well...and not bad speed for a 12 ft yak....definitely ready for an upgrade to a 140 or 160 though soon.

October
08-11-2012, 08:09 AM
I have the one twenty. Been debating whether or not I'll be able to handle it in the ocean or not since I'm still fairly new to yakking.

taggermike
08-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Pocoloco, yep the good ol days. I've paddle out on the long board on surf trips to baja with a rod gripped in my teeth and a few plastics stuck in my trunk's key pocket. Good memories. Mike

vincentek9
08-13-2012, 03:20 PM
I have the one twenty. Been debating whether or not I'll be able to handle it in the ocean or not since I'm still fairly new to yakking.

keep your head exactly on top of your seat. slouch down low to gain more stability. as long as you keep your upper body at the center of the yak, you'll be fine. i fished an OK scrambler 11 and scambler xt (12ft) both are a bit tippy seeing as how i surf/snowboard/skate/bike and have decent balance.. i cant even kneel up on the damn yaks. crawling to the front hatches of those things is hell unless you lay down and scoot up slowly.