PDA

View Full Version : Peacock Bass

Necron 99
08-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Haven't had the chance to fish much in San Diego as I've been underway for five summers in a row. Stopped in Hawaii this trip and heard there were peacock bass in the reservoirs. Rented a yak and went to it. Mahalo to the kayak fisherman who gave me some tips, (and live bait). Another species checked off. Of course, the big one towed my kayak around, wrapped around a tree and got off. I also included a pic of the guy who paddled by on a chunk of styrofoam with a stick and bucket lids for paddles. Hobie beware!

JeffB
08-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Nice, my brother is stationed at Scholfield and fishes for peacock out his yak as well right off the base. He is big into Spearfishing as well. It's funny bc I got him into a yak and he managed to put a gun in my hand with flippers in the back! My dream trip is to go catch Peacock in Venezuela.

PE.rider
08-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Pretty fish. Looks like a cross between a Yellow perch and Smallmouth Bass.

vincentek9
08-13-2012, 11:20 AM
that DIY kayak is nuts lol. i bet it'd fall apart in the ocean though

lterrero
08-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Nice, my brother is stationed at Scholfield and fishes for peacock out his yak as well right off the base. He is big into Spearfishing as well. It's funny bc I got him into a yak and he managed to put a gun in my hand with flippers in the back! My dream trip is to go catch Peacock in Venezuela.Yes you are in the good direction & they are the best fresh water fish to eat ;)

oneyedeer
08-13-2012, 12:19 PM
nice for the fishtank too!

lterrero
08-13-2012, 12:46 PM
nice for the fishtank too!You mean a swimming pool; they grow big..? over 2 feet, I release any thing less than 2 feet while fishing in Venezuela:)