PDA

View Full Version : dropper loop for yellows?

carbonbass
08-17-2012, 06:08 AM
When fishing with squid for YT, is a dropper loop knot going to hold up against such a strong fish?:jig:

seriola_killer
08-17-2012, 01:25 PM
When fishing with squid for YT, is a dropper loop knot going to hold up against such a strong fish?:jig:

No. Go with a Spider Hitch or a Surgeons Loop. Use the tag end as the one for your sinker if you're going to use a Palomar or Double SD knot on the hook.

I like cutting the Spider hitch loop at an 80/20 or 70/30 ratio. Use the shorter ratio for the sinker and the longer ratio for the hook. It's strong as hell.

Dropper look is NOT a very strong knot for these fish (unless your are using 60# and up topshot).

bubblehide
08-17-2012, 07:29 PM
If it's tied properly, yes. It's pretty commonly used on party boats when the fish aren't line shy. If they are line shy, I'd skip it and opt for an egg sinker or the JD dropper.

October
08-17-2012, 08:56 PM
No. Go with a Spider Hitch or a Surgeons Loop. Use the tag end as the one for your sinker if you're going to use a Palomar or Double SD knot on the hook.

I like cutting the Spider hitch loop at an 80/20 or 70/30 ratio. Use the shorter ratio for the sinker and the longer ratio for the hook. It's strong as hell.

Dropper look is NOT a very strong knot for these fish (unless your are using 60# and up topshot).

im trying to picture this and im having a hard time. Basing it off the spider hitch

bigbarrels
08-18-2012, 12:21 AM
im trying to picture this and im having a hard time. Basing it off the spider hitch

seems like the weight should go on the 80, and the hook on the 20?

lowprofile
08-18-2012, 12:25 AM
seems like the weight should go on the 80, and the hook on the 20?

its percentage. the weight goes on the lower and the hook on the higher. longer tag end for the hook and shorter for the weight. too much thinking and complication IMO.

honestly. just get on the water and observe. no one here will tell you their true secrets.

Drake
08-18-2012, 03:18 AM
its percentage. the weight goes on the lower and the hook on the higher. longer tag end for the hook and shorter for the weight. too much thinking and complication IMO.

This is wrong

seriola_killer
08-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Ok, You have a loop... Let's call it a 6' loop for shits n giggles. That's a total of 12' of line to make that loop.

If you cut it at 50/50 you would have two lines that are 6' each. If you cut it at 70/30 you'd have one line at a little over 8' and one at a little under 4'. By the way, if the current is running pretty good, this is a great method (having the longer end with the hook on it).

You can fish it either way, hook on short end, or on the long end.

Or you can not cut it at all. Then you can use the loop and tie a palomar, or sd knot to the hook. Just leave the tag end long enough to tie the sinker on.

I don't really like fishing with double line, but that's just me. Others have different methods and ways of fishing.

seriola_killer
08-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Ahhh, fuggit! How about we just invent some super heavy tungsten hooks and just flyline.

Drake
08-18-2012, 08:39 AM
This thread was starting to hurt, so I made this super high detail drawn to scale perfect rendition of a dropper loop for you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/Drakeskakes/Untitled-2-1.jpg
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-8HKSs6IhTE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bigbarrels
08-18-2012, 10:15 AM

honestly. just get on the water and observe. no one here will tell you their true secrets.

http://bymyink.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/rocket-science.jpg