PDA

View Full Version : Paddies anyone?

carbonbass
08-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Who wants to look for some in the yak :)

Poxy Boggards
08-20-2012, 09:47 AM
What we need is a BWE spotter plane that will only give out numbers to BWE members...LOL

taggermike
08-20-2012, 11:37 AM
An outside paddy trip has been on my list of things to do for a while now. Kayaks are not the ideal vesselsfor this style of fishing though. I spent about 7 hours on the roof of my buddy's Davis on Friday looking for paddies. From a kayak seat at just a few feet of sea level you'd about have to run a paddy over to see it or head toward any stopped boat(not so cool). It would still be fun though. A local kayak dodo would be a great catch. Launch and head NW off Del Mar then take it S/SW to off the South LJ MPA then back to the launch. Long day and lots o' mile right there. Definately a few yaks spread out in a line several hundred yards apart would make paddy finding much more effective. Bring some chunks or cut squid to get the dodos going. I'm fishing a hobie AI now and while not the best fishing boat it would really excel at this sort of trip. Mike

lowprofile
08-20-2012, 11:45 AM
having a mother ship would be ideal.

although, im sure you can find dodos in lajolla. you can find just about anything there.

TEAMFISH
08-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Working on mothership:D

fishsouthcounty
08-20-2012, 01:20 PM

nice boat...are you taking reservations yet?:sifone:

MrM
08-20-2012, 01:42 PM

Whats up, buddy! :cheers1:

(begin brown nose contest... NOW!)

JNAST13ST
08-20-2012, 02:06 PM
:cheers1:Working on mothership:D

:cheers1:I've been waiting for someone to do it I almost wanted to start at post for every one to chip in to get a big boat for BWE member mothership. Keep us posted I'm down if its not $500 lol, my brother welds he can build us a yak rack

lowprofile
08-20-2012, 03:34 PM
:cheers1:

:cheers1:I've been waiting for someone to do it I almost wanted to start at post for every one to chip in to get a big boat for BWE member mothership. Keep us posted I'm down if its not $500 lol, my brother welds he can build us a yak rack

even a big boat, going from mission bay or SD bay out to SC island would only cost about $100 a person to cover gas, another $30 for food. bring your own beer.

i was out yesterday and we did a huge loop and with 6 people only came to $70 per person.

JNAST13ST
08-20-2012, 03:42 PM
See I'm down with stuff like that you figure $150 a person and your eating steaks lol

danjor
08-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Id be down for $150 for a trip to the islands. Hit me up when you want to go out

finyak
08-20-2012, 04:15 PM

I'am in just say where when and how much ca$h.:cheers1:

Finyak

October
08-20-2012, 04:30 PM
What are paddies? Kelp paddies? And dodos? What the heck is that? All of this talk sounds fun, I would pay 150 for anything that's not a cattle boat!

Drake
08-20-2012, 04:58 PM
What are paddies? Kelp paddies? And dodos? What the heck is that? All of this talk sounds fun, I would pay 150 for anything that's not a cattle boat!

Yes, Kelp paddies. They're large patches of floating stringers that tend to hold a lot of fish. dodo means Dorado.

carbonbass
08-20-2012, 05:38 PM
i bet if you looked for the lone tern sitting on the surface it could help, then again i guess every paddy doesnt have a bird chillin on it :). I mean a 3 mile paddle wouldnt be that scary, and im sure you could do the safety in numbers game. Would be neat to roll up on a paddy all stealthy in the yak and just rail dorado and yt.

lowprofile
08-20-2012, 05:43 PM
i bet if you looked for the lone tern sitting on the surface it could help, then again i guess every paddy doesnt have a bird chillin on it :). I mean a 3 mile paddle wouldnt be that scary, and im sure you could do the safety in numbers game. Would be neat to roll up on a paddy all stealthy in the yak and just rail dorado and yt.

except only like 1/4 of the paddies out there are holding fish. lol. my guess, with out a sail or spotter, you'd be lucky to find one, if you found two and both had no fish you'd call it quits.

sure you might say different now, but wait till you get off shore more than 2.5 miles. and the launch is only about a mile from la jolla point, not 2 or 3 like some think.

finyak
08-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Call me lazy but I would pay for a overnighter trip to LJ.Would anyone else?

Finyak

Gone_Ballistic
08-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Need to get some of these marines to bring a pointer drone to do some spotting!
:)

Drake
08-20-2012, 07:02 PM
sure you might say different now, but wait till you get off shore more than 2.5 miles. and the launch is only about a mile from la jolla point, not 2 or 3 like some think.

I've read and re-read this 6-8 times trying to figure out what you're trying to say

lowprofile
08-20-2012, 11:02 PM
I've read and re-read this 6-8 times trying to figure out what you're trying to say

im saying, it all sounds great now, but with just a paddle or peddles you'll be thinking different when you get 2.5 miles off shore. and before anyone says "its 2 miles to the point, so it should be easy" its only a mile.

did i clear that jumbled mess up?

jorluivil
08-21-2012, 03:02 AM
im saying, it all sounds great now, but with just a paddle or peddles you'll be thinking different when you get 2.5 miles off shore. and before anyone says "its 2 miles to the point, so it should be easy" its only a mile.

Its never the distance that's the issue, its more about little thing called Mother nature.

TEAMFISH
08-21-2012, 05:48 AM
Damn, looks like I just made some friends:). I've been wanting to use her as a mothership since I got the yak. That was a year ago and she hasn't been out since that or longer. The unfortunate part is that it's only a 25 footer and can get crowded real quick. I'm going to do an Island trip with two other guys and see how that works out. I've done the Catalina thing without yaks and three guys is comfortable. Sleeps two down below, one on deck. Porta-potty, B.B.Q., two ice chests, two bait tanks, full electronics (radar took a shit) MP3 and huge fish hold. Due to a busy life and rising fuel prices (1-1/2 m.p.g.) :eek: the yak was bought and she sat. Now I'm itching for some speed and distance.
I'll give a full report on her first "Skipyak" trip. Would love to get everyone out there but due to limited load capacities the waiting list may be a little long. :toetap05:

Drake
08-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Been talking to some of the Helo pilots on base. Seems like I may have been able to get us a "spotter" doing a "training mission." Just need to pick a date a few weeks in advance so they can make it happen. Needs to be done SOON! :cheers1:

October
08-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Been talking to some of the Helo pilots on base. Seems like I may have been able to get us a "spotter" doing a "training mission." Just need to pick a date a few weeks in advance so they can make it happen. Needs to be done SOON! :cheers1:

:eek:

thats freakin sick!

man, with connections like this, i really need to make friends with some of you! :D A kayak mission like that sounds like a blast

MrM
08-22-2012, 05:21 PM

That is BAD ASS!

Hey, if they want, we could spice things up. One of us could wear a turban and bring a really big camera.

/sarcasm

carbonbass
08-22-2012, 06:06 PM

as long as it was a weekend id be in...the more the merrier, as many of you know some of the paddies have 100's of dodos on them, more than enough for some yakkers....

danjor
08-22-2012, 06:19 PM

And reasons like this is why im in the process of setting up a trolling motor to increase range. Just recived a very sexy battery in the mail yesterday, 100ah 12.8v lifepo4 pack. Should give 80ah of useful battery combined with PWM controler and im looking at ranges of up to 20 miles on one charge if i keep throttle under 75% with no voltage sag, downside is 14 hour charge time. But plus side is it only weighs 24lbs so carrying 2 could be possible just need the cash. All said and done $750 for battery and battery management chip including hazmat shipping lol

Drake
08-22-2012, 07:33 PM

Says the guys who doesn't have a GPS...

You'd be suprised to know that one of the most popular LJ fishing grounds is just under 3 miles away according to my chart plotter.

Drake
08-22-2012, 07:35 PM
:eek:

thats freakin sick!

man, with connections like this, i really need to make friends with some of you! :D A kayak mission like that sounds like a blast

That is BAD ASS!

Hey, if they want, we could spice things up. One of us could wear a turban and bring a really big camera.

/sarcasm

as long as it was a weekend id be in...the more the merrier, as many of you know some of the paddies have 100's of dodos on them, more than enough for some yakkers....

I'll talk to my buddy with a 46ft boat, See if he's be willing to take a few kayaks out. I'll update as the info comes about

vincentek9
08-23-2012, 07:03 PM
going paddy hunting on a yak is tough. low to the ground and you dont cover ground fast. going on a boat is awesome though!

lowprofile
08-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Says the guys who doesn't have a GPS...

You'd be suprised to know that one of the most popular LJ fishing grounds is just under 3 miles away according to my chart plotter.

i have a GPS... i just don't have one built into my FF.

and.. get this. i dont have a FF right now either. :D it was only good for making bait anyways.

Cbad Mike
08-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Distance isn't that big of a deal. I'm more worried about the wind. I'd love to give it a try though, especially with some numbers from the greatest military on Earth. If anyone happens to hear of a target paddie PLEASE count me in and send me a PM. :D