PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the help.

Jim Sammons LJKF
08-28-2012, 07:44 AM
I hit LJ yesterday early and upon leaving the ramp my truck sank in the insanely soft sand. This is not normally an issue for me as my truck is 4x4, so when crossing the ramp area I go slow. Well my 4x4 for some reason is not engaging and I got stuck. Several other yakers came over and helped me out.
My struggles were worth while as when I got out I came across Moyer who was boat fishing and he handed off a few live squid, I also caught a few more. First drop of the hand off squid was hit and a few minutes later I landed a nice low 20's YT, which later that afternoon was turned into Pokey and some was seared.
Not sure how anyone else did out there, the only other fish I saw were cuddas.
So again thanks for all the help yesterday with the push and the bait.

Dannowar
08-28-2012, 08:11 AM
No squid, no :yt: for me.

:doh:

Been stuck in that sand before, always someone willing to help out.

Cheers, stoked on your catch!

lowprofile
08-28-2012, 08:15 AM
i get a kick out of the guys getting stuck at the launch, all it's doing is making the sand softer, but have helped a few in need when there isnt already 5 or 6 guys trying to push and pull it out. saw a ford Ranger Edge stuck the other day. i thought they were 4x4. this weeks super high tides will pack it down good and as long as no one tries to burn out around the barriers it shouldn't require 4 wheel drive.

good on the guys to help out and WTG on some fresh Hiramasa!

Jim Sammons LJKF
08-28-2012, 10:04 AM
I have pulled enough people out of the sand with my truck over the years, I figure I earned a push.
Going to have to get my truck in for service and figure out why it is indicating it is in 4x4 but it is not. Digging out with a paddle SUCKS

GregAndrew
08-28-2012, 10:49 AM
I have been stuck on the soft side with my 4 wheel drive on. When the ruts get deep enough you can bottom out on the high part between them. Got pulled out and a day or 2 later it was my turn to do the pulling. Sometimes you are glad that you are not the only one out there. You got Squid from Moyer and did not catch a monster Calico on it?

seriola_killer
08-28-2012, 01:17 PM
I have pulled enough people out of the sand with my truck over the years, I figure I earned a push.
Going to have to get my truck in for service and figure out why it is indicating it is in 4x4 but it is not. Digging out with a paddle SUCKS

No worries Jim! Glad me and the father in law could help!

Aaron&Julie
08-28-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't where that soft sand came from this year, but it's been murder on all types of vehicles, as I've been stuck twice on the same trip. I even helped the person in front of me as I was leaving, get unstuck, only to get stuck the second time that day, right behind him. Definitely something different this year for many. Kinda puts the damper on a good day, or quite crappy on just a fair day.
Aaron

seriola_killer
08-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Jim's problem was a wierd one. The 4x4 drive didn't engage until his front tires hit the cement. At least I found out a superb use for Hobie's stock paddles.

T-Rex
08-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Jim - at least you got a nice yt for your efforts. I was dropping off my daughter and a friend to go paddling and got the wife's minivan stuck in the soft sand about a month ago when a film crew was there for the History channel. Now that sucked! There was a lady life guard being interviewed for the show and she just took delight in chewing my a$$ out for driving a two wheel drive vehicle onto the beach. She lightened up a little when I told her it was the first time I've gotten stuck at the launch in over 10 years. Floor mats, a shovel and some help from some of the film crew got me off the beach in about 10 minutes.

Aaron&Julie
08-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Yep, T-Rex, 2 wheel drives didn't used to get stuck, at least not as often as this year. I feel for your embarrassing, I think just about everyone feels that to some degree when getting stuck in the sand. Apparently this year, the lifeguards are only letting 4x4s on the beach, when in the past they didn't have to.

bellcon
08-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Sometimes these damn fords need to have the hubs "manually" locked for the 4x4 to wake up.

Stupid "automatic" 4x4's, give me a lever on my transfer case any day!

tacmik
08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
It's a plot by the commie enviros. They come by every night and dig up the sand so we get stuck.

wiredantz
08-28-2012, 02:54 PM
when i was there this weekend. there was a lot of soft sand.

Tman
08-28-2012, 06:08 PM
hahahahahahahaha....wait...

Sammons was in LJ?

Get back to work and hit those tropical waters...:sifone:

lowprofile
08-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Jim - at least you got a nice yt for your efforts. I was dropping off my daughter and a friend to go paddling and got the wife's minivan stuck in the soft sand about a month ago when a film crew was there for the History channel. Now that sucked! There was a lady life guard being interviewed for the show and she just took delight in chewing my a$$ out for driving a two wheel drive vehicle onto the beach. She lightened up a little when I told her it was the first time I've gotten stuck at the launch in over 10 years. Floor mats, a shovel and some help from some of the film crew got me off the beach in about 10 minutes.

don't worry, I've told her off along with her little minions, trying to direct traffic and tell me where i can and can't unload while they block the exit or half the beach with their ATV's and truck. she even had the nerve to tell me i couldn't pull someone out because i wouldn't make it around them and I'd get stuck... the guy i pulled out gave me $20 ;)

but thats for another topic.

when you get the truck diagnosed, post up, im curious what happened. what kind of truck? is it a manual transfer case (have a stick in the center console) or electric (knob or button on the dash)?

slobslayer
08-28-2012, 07:00 PM
this is why I love my 1985 4runner, she couldnt get stuck if i tried:D

Nic D
08-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Glad you made use of the squishy Jim.

MattRabasco
08-28-2012, 08:02 PM
I want to hear what Moyer Caught!!!! Skunk for me today except for 6 large reds on live squid - Big ones!!!

Yakin
08-29-2012, 06:47 AM
My ford ranger did the same thing! the 4x4 came on but it wasn't on. Happen to be if even one of the 4x4 hubs are shattered then the whole thing won't engage!
Good luck on getting it fixed jim!

taggermike
08-29-2012, 09:43 AM
That might have been the same female LG I dealt with a few weeks ago. Tall, thin, brown hair, looked like she has never smiled once in her whole life. Week ends suck. I launched at 4:30am on an almost empty beach. Come back at noon and of course the beach is a mad house. Go to pull on to the beach and get stopped by the LG. "Is this a 4WD vehicle?". I drive a ford focus station wagon with hello kitty stickers on it. 4WD, ya right. But I've been driving that car on to the LJ launch for 6 years now and never had a problem. Long pause on my part, "No". "Then you'll have to park over there and carry your kayak". She's pointing like 5 parking places back on the street. "But I can't carry my kayak", I say. Absolute dead face and no response from the LG. I say, "no really, its the long ass kayak with the big out riggers and sail right over there". She, very nicely, allows me to park half on the side walk on the going out side and drag my stuff over. The LGs have a tough job to do in the summer and they can't tell who knows how to drive in the sand. Long post, sorry. Just had to get that off my chest. Mike

RedSledTeam
08-29-2012, 01:36 PM
That might have been the same female LG I dealt with a few weeks ago. Tall, thin, brown hair, looked like she has never smiled once in her whole life....... "Then you'll have to park over there and carry your kayak". She's pointing like 5 parking places back on the street....... The LGs have a tough job to do in the summer and they can't tell who knows how to drive in the sand.... Mike Yep. She told me the same thing about my truck. My F350 4WD Warthog of a truck. But figuring that she has a lot to be "in control" about, I still chose the 'high-road' and politely agreed as I drove onto the sand. I guess after seeing the daylight under my truck she figured I was going to make it out. No Worries!

jimbo
08-29-2012, 08:31 PM
One of lifeguards gave me hard time early this summer- told me i was not allowed to turn around on the beach or back up bc i did not hav spotter. Also told me i could not go on beach in 2wd vehicle any more . I think lifeguards get stressed with heavy foot traffic n cars going fast to avoid getting stuck. Ive not been stuck in 8 yrs but hav complied bc i think its a mess in summer n trying to go w flow n make it work. I just wheel my yak unless early or late in day. labor day will be here soon n crowds will diminish again. Hallelujah!

However, there are related problems with sharing beach in summer. I'd like to have signs on Avenida De La Playa directing pedestrians to walk only on sidewalk on south side of street. And why not put some steps and entry way for pedestrian kayak renters right there at end of sidewalk? It's very dangerous for groups of kayak renters to walk in front of car path onto beach. When people are in big herds like that their awareness n intelligence decreases - they need more idiotproofing. I fear an accident will happen, someone will get seriously hurt, n we may lose access to our launch site. Lose lose lose.

Sorry for thread jack Jim. Glad u had good karma.

Nic D
08-30-2012, 03:47 PM
I want to hear what Moyer Caught!!!! Skunk for me today except for 6 large reds on live squid - Big ones!!!

Moyer didn't catch one but he did hook and hand one to my dad (and it was a good one). I'll post photos as soon as I can.