PDA

View Full Version : newbie questions

porkchopcb
08-31-2012, 06:05 PM
I just transferred here from Pensacola, Florida where I yak'd fished quite a bit. I went out of La Jolla and all I got was a couple Cudas. Where is a good place to go on weekends that isn't so crowded? Please bare with me as I will probably be posting a lot of questions on here. I have an OK Trident 13. Also I will have evenings off, so what places are good for then, and what places should I avoid? Any help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to meeting some of y'all out there.

Kevin

Drake
08-31-2012, 06:21 PM
I just transferred here from Pensacola, Florida where I yak'd fished quite a bit. I went out of La Jolla and all I got was a couple Cudas. Where is a good place to go on weekends that isn't so crowded? Please bare with me as I will probably be posting a lot of questions on here. I have an OK Trident 13. Also I will have evenings off, so what places are good for then, and what places should I avoid? Any help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to meeting some of y'all out there.

Kevin

During the summer months, LJ will be crowded during the weekends. It's unavoidable. It'll slow down as fall/winter settle in. Also, when the bite spreads out a bit, it will thin.

if you have nights off, I suggest taking up hoops. Oct 1st is right around the corner

You can't go wrong with a bunch of :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster:
Plus, you can hoop in A LOT of places and avoid crowds

MrM
08-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Heh... Another Kevin with a Trident 13.... This town aint big enough for the two of us!

Where are you located? LJ seems to be the most consistant right now from my perspective/reports on here... Dana Point and Newport haven't yielded much results for me lately. Less people for sure in NP. But that's far off from LJ.

if you have nights off, I suggest taking up hoops. Oct 1st is right around the corner

You can't go wrong with a bunch of :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster:
Plus, you can hoop in A LOT of places and avoid crowds

+1. I'm going to be trying it out this year...

<<<<< Much to learn about hoops for this guy!

porkchopcb
08-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Ha ha! Kevin me too! I have no clue what hoops is! I'm located in San Diego. This is my first time fishing here. I've mostly caught Snapper, Redfish, and Trout out of my Kayak in Florida so far.

Drake
08-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Ha ha! Kevin me too! I have no clue what hoops is! I'm located in San Diego. This is my first time fishing here. I've mostly caught Snapper, Redfish, and Trout out of my Kayak in Florida so far.
http://liquidcoasthighway.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/20091119_09.jpg

mtnbykr2
08-31-2012, 07:43 PM
show off...:D

Drake
08-31-2012, 08:14 PM
show off...:D

I've posted enough photos you should know that'd not me

mtnbykr2
09-01-2012, 06:50 AM
I was really only looking at the bugs....in the mood for some lobster tail right about now...:D

roadx
09-01-2012, 06:59 AM

first off fishing wont be as good as pensacola, but you can usually catch rock fish (when in season March 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012, less than 360 feet) if your looking for something good to eat. less crowded in deep waters.

ctfphoto
09-01-2012, 07:31 AM
I want to go Lobstering with Drake, wow what a haul, very nice.

Last year I got over 20 smalls and only two legals.

I want to go to your spot, wow.

Oxbeast1210
09-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Ahhh some familiar names!

Ill be heading to San Diego soon

Roadx and Porkchopcb what kayak should I get? still debating!

taggermike
09-01-2012, 09:11 AM
I fished the OBX in NC for a year and the east coast fishing is crazy different that here in SoCal. LJ is packed in the summer. Thats just how it is. If you are comfortable with surf launches you can ditch LJ and punch out about any where in the county or SoCal. I've launched about every where between south Imperial Beach to carring the yak down the trails in Laguna, and carting the long hell road to Salt Creek. The bays are fun at night and no surf surprises. If youre used to FL then the whole kelp bed experience is going to be strange for you. Places to avoid? The military BS all over SD Bay and know where the MLPA closed areas are. other than that go for it. Mike

porkchopcb
09-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all of the info. I'll check the bays out next.

Ox, when you get here you can take my trident out anytime you want. I wish I would've brought the outback but I wanted something to use when I go to Mississippi.

Oxbeast1210
09-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I got another trident here the other one Acevedo had... couldn't resist fishing..

anyway I'm going to use it for a while till i figure out what I need.
Im leaning towards the pa12 at the moment I just hope my knee can handle it
I dont need any more surgeries.