PDA

View Full Version : La Jolla Sevengill sharks?

outdoorzen
09-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Hello all. My wife and I were SUPing @ La Jolla on he 6th. In close just South of the Marine room in about 10 feet of water, I saw a flash of what I thought was a big WSB. After seeing another one, I realized it was a big grey shark. I saw another 4-5 cruising around under my board and they ran about 5-7 feet long with some serious girth. I've seen plenty of leopards but never these guys. Does anyone know what these guys are? Thanks for the info, first post, long time eavesdropper.

T-Rex
09-08-2012, 10:31 AM
I caught a small 2' seven gill a couple of years ago at LJ. Nasty lil sucker tried to bite the crap out of me when i was removing the hook. I wouldn't want to mess with a big one - or another small one agaim for that matter. They're pretty easy to identify - grey with a long tail and the dorsal fin is positioned back toward the tail. There have been a lot of big soupfin around lately, but the ones I've caught and seen have been a lot more brown than grey.

taggermike
09-08-2012, 11:11 AM
7 gills are in LJ but they are ususally deeper especialy in the summer. 7 gills are kinda brownish tan with spots, with a broad short head, and a long tail. 7s look like slugs but they can get determined at times. The spear guys in LJ occationaly end up going mano a mano with them over speared WSB. If they were grey they might have been soup fins. We don't have too many sharks in so cal that fit your discription. Mike

lowprofile
09-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Sounds like Soupfin.

addicted2sp33d
09-10-2012, 10:59 AM
When you say "grey" and "serious girth", I would guess they were juvenile Great Whites instead of Soupfin... just to throw out an exciting possibility.

Personally I would not consider Soupfins to be "thick" sharks.

The San Diego coast, especially San Onofre is a prime hangout spot for juvenile Great Whites.

rcappelle
09-11-2012, 08:48 AM
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/picture.php?albumid=190&pictureid=1124

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/picture.php?albumid=190&pictureid=1125