PDA

View Full Version : Bait tank question

drseiler
09-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Hello all, My question is:
What is the minimum gallons in the holding area you can have in a bait tank? is it 2 gal or 4 gal? any info would be much appreciated.

ful-rac
09-11-2012, 03:15 PM
I guess it depends on the size of the container you use. More water if it is bigger and less if it is smaller. What did you have in mind to use for your container?

TEAMFISH
09-11-2012, 03:24 PM
It's all going to matter on the flow of you pump and the quantity and size of your bait. 20 dines' aren't the same as 20 macs'

Yakin
09-11-2012, 03:56 PM
It's all going to matter on the flow of you pump and the quantity and size of your bait. 20 dines' aren't the same as 20 macs'

X2 on this being said!
I am running a 360 bilg with an adjustable pressure gage to either keep the level higher then my outflow to keep the water as fresh as it can and a on off switch.
my tank can hold 4 gallons or a little more then 6 and when it is holding 6 gallons it weighs your ass back so much!

wiredantz
09-11-2012, 06:10 PM
i use a 5 gallon bucket.... when you have 5 gallon in the back it feels like your pulling tony in his pa 14. so 3-4 galls is good

drseiler
09-12-2012, 06:29 AM
I guess it depends on the size of the container you use. More water if it is bigger and less if it is smaller. What did you have in mind to use for your container? I was thinking of using a round water cooler like the kind you see on the side lines of a sports game. just only around 2- 4 gal. not the big ones(if it will work with the flow.) I think I might have to go the 5 gal bucket rout. I was thinking of a 4 gal with using only 3 gal in it due to the weight added to the yak.

Thank you all for your input. Any info on correct flow and size helps me.

jorluivil
09-12-2012, 06:37 AM
I was thinking of using a round water cooler like the kind you see on the side lines of a sports game. just only around 2- 4 gal. not the big ones(if it will work with the flow.) I think I might have to go the 5 gal bucket rout. I was thinking of a 4 gal with using only 3 gal in it due to the weight added to the yak.

Save your money and just use a paint bucket or one of those dog food containers.

OutdoorAdvntr
09-12-2012, 07:24 AM
just curious.. have you guys tried to use a mesh bait basket? that way, it doesn't put weight on your yak? thanks, this will also informational to me :reel:

StinkyMatt
09-12-2012, 07:48 AM
No weight but major drag.

Your choice.

mtnbykr2
09-12-2012, 09:27 AM
No weight but major drag.

Your choice.

That and it can become "dog" food right quick...

Biggameaddict
09-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Not to thread jack but how many gallons would you need to carry 15-20 sardines in the 5-6 inch range?

jruiz
09-12-2012, 10:22 AM
I was thinking of using a round water cooler like the kind you see on the side lines of a sports game. just only around 2- 4 gal. not the big ones(if it will work with the flow.) I think I might have to go the 5 gal bucket rout. I was thinking of a 4 gal with using only 3 gal in it due to the weight added to the yak.

Don't those coolers have insulation? May not be something you want to deal with when you are plumbing it.

jorluivil
09-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Don't those coolers have insulation? May not be something you want to deal with when you are plumbing it.

That's why I suggested a bucket or container. You're not trying to keep beer cold, or are you?

ful-rac
09-12-2012, 11:10 AM
If you want to make your own bait tank I would go with something like this, it's made out of a pet food container and works very well. If you don't want to build it yourself and want to just buy one....you can too from KFS. Alot of guys use this or something similar to this for their bait tank. If you have a hobie, the hobie bait tank seems to work good as well.

<EMBED height=315 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=560 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/Xd1kEfm2fcU?version=3&hl=en_GB&rel=0 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

The mesh bait bag works well for squid, and if you want to travel light. Not so sure how it would work for fin bait...haven't tried it but, I don't think It would work well.....try it and let everyone know.

As far as pumps standard pumps from attwood or rule seem to be the most popular. 6v batteries are definitely recommended, over 12v, or 12v with a timer will work too.

drseiler
09-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Not trying to keep anything cold. Just though that container might work. I have seen the ultimate bait tank. Also don't really want to spend 200 bucks on it either but might end up doing so. Thank you all for the feedback.:cheers1: