PDA

View Full Version : La Jolla Newb Help!

Joker619
09-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Hey there! Finally got the balls to take my kayak out in La Jolla this upcoming week. I'm not asking for spots but just wondering how and where I will know I'm not in a state preservation area or whatever. I'm a little confused because I took a look at a map, and was like ok. But then I went out on a sport fisher out of seaforth and was fishing the south la jolla kelp beds pretty much the whole day. I'm sure it was good to go but what are the main restrictions. And let me tell you, there were a whole bunch of boats out there. We left out of mission bay, headed north and started anchoring just west of what I know as the south la jolla area. What am I not understanding. Was gonna launch out of the shores and just paddle till I got tired! Haha help me out please. Been fishing the bay for a couple weeks now and wanna head out and try some new stuff! Thanks.

Cbad Mike
09-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Launch from the shores and head straight out for about 3/4 of a mile. You will see a thin yellow buoy. The buoy is the end of the protected area. Continue atleast 100 yards past that buoy to be safe. You will then be in the kelp :). OR to make things easier just head for where the other kayaks are. You will be able to see them from the beach at the launch and will definitely see them on your paddle out to the buoy. I promise that if you have at least a half a brain you will easily figure out where to legally fish :reel:... It's really easy unless you're an idiot, in which case follow the kayakers with the helmets and enjoy the caves.
Good luck!
Mike

Sdspeed
09-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Hey there! Finally got the balls to take my kayak out in La Jolla this upcoming week. I'm not asking for spots but just wondering how and where I will know I'm not in a state preservation area or whatever. I'm a little confused because I took a look at a map, and was like ok. But then I went out on a sport fisher out of seaforth and was fishing the south la jolla kelp beds pretty much the whole day. I'm sure it was good to go but what are the main restrictions. And let me tell you, there were a whole bunch of boats out there. We left out of mission bay, headed north and started anchoring just west of what I know as the south la jolla area. What am I not understanding. Was gonna launch out of the shores and just paddle till I got tired! Haha help me out please. Been fishing the bay for a couple weeks now and wanna head out and try some new stuff! Thanks.

I ask the same question last month and still haven't gone out yet but the guys here made it simple for me because they know i can't read a map.

"To make it simple, paddle out past the two yellow buoys and keep paddling to Point La Jolla (just a little farther) which sticks out and is a great landmark."

:reel:

maui jim
09-14-2012, 07:07 AM
I always had good luck on the east side of the dam near the inlet...
stay way from the overflow it gets a little dicey over there....:cool:

Or if all fails look at the map in the concrete next to the restrooms/ playground....gives a good layout of LJ even has fish marked on it...:D

skrilla
09-14-2012, 07:33 AM
If in doubt, paddle past anyone fishing so you're west of them. If the DFG rolls by they'll hound the other guy first. :aetsch:

CheapPelican
09-14-2012, 06:53 PM
What time does the beach crowd begin to thin out in the afternoon? I'm thinking about a late launch.

Joker619
09-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Cool.... Thanks everyone. Hopefully all goes well and I land something worthwhile!