PDA

View Full Version : newbie fishing ??

Sdspeed
09-14-2012, 08:17 AM
If you go out and are lucky enough to catch a keeper early in your fishing trip what do you do to preserve (it) them until your back on land since Kayak space is limited?

Also what lighting is required if you go out or before daybreak or decide to fish at night?

tks
:cheers1:

OutdoorAdvntr
09-14-2012, 11:18 AM
i think you can use inside the hull? would it cause stability on the yak? :confused:

lowprofile
09-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Cover it with a shirt or gunny sack and let the bait tank keep it moist and cool.

Sdspeed
09-14-2012, 11:47 AM
i think you can use inside the hull? would it cause stability on the yak? :confused:

Well that would keep em out of the sun and weather plus be cooler, but can you fold a halibut in half length wise? :(

ful-rac
09-14-2012, 11:59 AM
I usually keep'em hanging over the side, unless there are some brave seals around. Then I'll pull'em up over my lap, or in the drive well area. When I had my stealth I just threw'em in my front hatch. If you are lucky enough to catch something nice, and want to keep it you shouldn't spend too much time out there you owe it to yourself and the fish to keep it as cool and fresh as possible.

tehburninator
09-14-2012, 12:08 PM
bring knife, fork plate, salt, pepper, and your appetite:D?

wiredantz
09-14-2012, 12:26 PM
I keep them wet and happy :D

dorado50
09-14-2012, 04:04 PM
I picked up a read called "The Book of Common Sense", its very informative and enlighting.I would recemmend to any" noob". U can find it on amazon.com:D

Joker619
09-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Caught a hali last week and I had some extra rope on my yak. Just used it as a stringer and tide it to the boat. Let it hang on the side in the water. I did go out and buy one of those stringer clips though to use instead of just straight rope. Don't worry about the newb questions by the way. I myself am new to this and ask questions all the time. I myself sometimes have an idea but just some clarification helps out a long ways. As far as the light thing goes, I was told when it starts getting dark and at night to have a light. One of those visicarbon poles or whatever they're called would do the trick. Peace

Sdspeed
09-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Caught a hali last week and I had some extra rope on my yak. Just used it as a stringer and tide it to the boat. Let it hang on the side in the water. I did go out and buy one of those stringer clips though to use instead of just straight rope. Don't worry about the newb questions by the way. I myself am new to this and ask questions all the time. I myself sometimes have an idea but just some clarification helps out a long ways. As far as the light thing goes, I was told when it starts getting dark and at night to have a light. One of those visicarbon poles or whatever they're called would do the trick. Peace

I don't mind the twisted sense of humor. Saltwater and scurvy rots the brain, take your vitamin C guys.

I was wondering if bloody fish on a stringer attracted seals,small predators or aggressive birds. I was considering a mesh bag and dragging it alongside.

I saw the group purchase on lights and was just double checking before dropping the coin. I wasn't sure of the legal requirements for a kayak were the same as a powerboat.

:linesnap:

jorluivil
09-14-2012, 10:30 PM
I keep them wet and happy :D

I usually slap the fish on the bow of the yak and cover it with a burlap sack, every so often I will splash some water on it just to keep it moist and happy.

taggermike
09-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Not a fan of any thing edible to a sealion hanging over the side of the kayak so I put larger fish in the bow hatch and cover then with a damp towel. As for lighting I think you need one white light. Mike

Sdspeed
09-15-2012, 10:44 AM
I picked up a read called "The Book of Common Sense", its very informative and enlighting.I would recemmend to any" noob". U can find it on amazon.com:D

Yeah I saw that next to the one you bought, "How to Make a Second Career Out of Selling a Used Kayak" :D

KatFish
09-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Use a mesh laundry bag and hang it over the side! I've never had a problem with sea lions. And the let's the fish breath and stay alive for awhile:)