PDA

View Full Version : Making bait

Hard dogg
09-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Hello everyone. I am new, just bought a Malibu Pa 14 and hit La Jolla for the first time last week.. I'm sure this has been addressed but I am wondering what is the best way to make bait.. Weather it's squid or mackerel.. Also what size mackerel am I hoping for as a prime yellowtail of WSB bait? Any info is appreciated.

GR6RR
09-18-2012, 02:33 PM
A Malibu PA14?
Sorry I couldn't answer your question.

todd one
09-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Just go out past the reserve and drop a sabiki rig with a 2oz weight. Bob it up and down or trole it to catch macks.

Get a squid jig for squid. just bounce the weight off the bottom.
Now I can't help you catch a Yellow or WSB. That's all I can catch is bait lol.

Hard dogg
09-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks for that. What about Mack size.. What is too big... Like a 10 inch mack is that too big or worth a shot to fish... I caught a 10 inch long 1.5 inch wide Mack and I thought it was too big and let it go... I don't have a bait tank yet so can't really save anything, just want to catch and the fish it until I get bait tank.

seriola_killer
09-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks for that. What about Mack size.. What is too big... Like a 10 inch mack is that too big or worth a shot to fish... I caught a 10 inch long 1.5 inch wide Mack and I thought it was too big and let it go... I don't have a bait tank yet so can't really save anything, just want to catch and the fish it until I get bait tank.

Yellows and Ghosts love Big Macs when they're not eating squid. No greenie is too big, i.m.o.

Necron 99
09-18-2012, 03:22 PM
I have only caught bait so far as well. Only been out twice, so I think I'll eventually catch something else. I even caught squid on my sabiki rig. Just need to spend more time on the water.

ful-rac
09-18-2012, 03:38 PM
I have only caught bait so far as well. Only been out twice, so I think I'll eventually catch something else. I even caught squid on my sabiki rig. Just need to spend more time on the water.

There you go, you just answered your own question. You need to put in some serious time to start catching yellowtail and wsb. There is going to be lots of trial and error for you, just like everyone else. I hope your patient......

jorluivil
09-18-2012, 05:17 PM
A Malibu PA14?
Sorry I couldn't answer your question.

I still want to know what a Malibu PA14 is. Must be made by that knotless hook company.

NextBite
09-18-2012, 05:34 PM
I still want to know what a Malibu PA14 is. Must be made by that knotless hook company.

Oh Geogre :p

bus kid
09-18-2012, 06:26 PM
The key to making bait in Lj is to dangle at least 50 or 60 security tokens mixed in with a few security keys (2 maybe 3) in a mesh laundry bag over the side of your kayak. Be sure that they are all shinny, the sound and flash will not only draw in macs but squid also. be sure to leash it down tight,as sometimes the macks will swim right up and smash into the bag! I'm sure that the Malibu PA has ample lashing points for this.

Hard dogg
09-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Okay so I'm really a rookie... Had to go in the garage to confirm the Malibu is a Hobie PA

bus kid
09-18-2012, 07:38 PM
your tokens should look something like this

cowboybill
09-18-2012, 07:43 PM
yuk yuk yuk.... If Malibu made a PA it would weigh a 150 lbs..

If wilderness made a PA... it would be really bitchin...

Just caught my eye...

Just enjoy fishin!!!

:cheers1:Cowboybill

jorluivil
09-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Okay so I'm really a rookie... Had to go in the garage to confirm the Malibu is a Hobie PA

You bought a PA and thought it was made by Malibu?:rolleyes:

dorado50
09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Simple mistake....I bought a Chevy once and thought it was a ford!:eek:

todd one
09-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Ok, Hobie PA. That make sence. You got yourself a nice kayak.

Drake
09-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Yellows and Ghosts love Big Macs when they're not eating squid. No greenie is too big, i.m.o.

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/7/10750/z10750647Q,I-don-t-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg

taggermike
09-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Catching bait can be like catching any other fish. Some times they're there, some times not, some times they bite, some times not. You can usualy catch bait in LJ with a bit of work though. Like todd one said, right passed the reserve bouys usually produces. A fish finder helps but so does watching for surface and bird activity. Greenies are by far the most popular bait but spanish and even smelt will work. Some times the sardines are thick and they work well too but don't live in kayak sized bait tanks well. If you're after YT and WSB a bigger bait will work fine. Too big is about the size that can't swim circles in your tank becasue they will die. Larger baits usually keep bass,and cuda off, allow you to use larger hooks, and heavier line. Mike

mtnbykr2
09-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Way to stay on the subject Mike!!!....;)

Hard dogg
09-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks Mike... That's what I was shooting for.

lowprofile
09-19-2012, 10:04 AM

i hope you got an HDS10 to go with it.

mackerel are easy to find in and around the kelp. think 50ft of water and just under the surface. its a good place to start. sabikis work well but sometimes get loaded with macs and tangled and become a mess. i like a #2 hook and a piece of squid or mackerel and pull them in one at a time. or throw a croc to them and pass some time.

Squid is better for soaking IMO. hopefully it stays around. I've caught several threshers and 4 seals (2 landed :p) on mackerel and lots of rockfish, bass a couple wsb and Yellowtail on squid.... no seals.