PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird 597

medina760
09-20-2012, 08:47 AM
I just got my fishfinder, I was wondering if anybody has any ideas of where to install the transducer. I would prefer through the scupper hole don't wanna drill no holes or put it through the hull. The transducer is kind of big that's what's making it so difficult to figure out!

mtnbykr2
09-20-2012, 08:54 AM
check innovations and do a search....lots and lots of answers, I think HB has a scupper mount....

Jimmyz123
09-20-2012, 11:40 AM
I just got my fishfinder, I was wondering if anybody has any ideas of where to install the transducer. I would prefer through the scupper hole don't wanna drill no holes or put it through the hull. The transducer is kind of big that's what's making it so difficult to figure out!

Humminbird makes a scupper hole tranducer that would make your life easier. What's wrong with shooting through the hull? I've never had any issues with it. If you use Electrical putty it's not permanent and it works great.

medina760
09-20-2012, 01:15 PM
I just move my kayak a lot and transport it upside down. So hull setup wouldn't work for me want something more permanent.

mtnbykr2
09-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I just move my kayak a lot and transport it upside down. So hull setup wouldn't work for me want something more permanent.

then it sounds like you need to do a wet mount and shoot thru hull

Jimmyz123
09-20-2012, 02:02 PM

Trust me if you use the electrical putty it will not move if you carry it upside down, sideways, or even drop your kayak. When I had my blue Prowler Kayak I litterally dropped it off of my SUV, twice, and the tranducer never moved, and was in perfect condition. When you want to move the ducer you pop it off of the putty and move it. Peal the putty off and you can use the FF on a different kayak or boat. It's not permanent and it's very clean and easy to use. I posted some picks in the Share your Innovations page, however at that time I used a sponge as a frame. After a couple kayaks and FF moves I realized the sponge frame was not needed. If you're in San Diego area I could help you with this and give you some putty. The putty costs less than $2 at Home depot.
John Oast put out a video for the installation. Very easy.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1d3_UeD3k

medina760
09-20-2012, 03:14 PM
I think I might do the hull set up after all. How does it work for you guys? Do you guys still get good accurate readings?

medina760
09-20-2012, 03:53 PM
One last question should i use putty or goop the transducer? And would it be better to use the frame? Looks like it'll keep it in place better.

mtnbykr2
09-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Use the putty...I have gooped several, they always end up getting air and rust under them...
I did a wet mount which I think is pretty cool...consists of a snap top plastic container you can get them at the grocery they have a seal and four snap fittings on the top.
Cut the bottom out of the container and fit it to your hull with the least amount of gap as possible, goop it down let it dry, reseal inside and outside one more time and let dry, it needs to hold water.
Take the lid and drill a hole for the cable and install the ducer onto the lid using
transom bracket, use stainless hardware, should have come with the meter.
Seal the cable entrance on the lid. Fill the container you just need about an inch or so of water put the lid on and snap it down, good to go.

Jimmyz123
09-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I think I might do the hull set up after all. How does it work for you guys? Do you guys still get good accurate readings?

I have used this system exclusively for the last two Kayaks I have owned and will always recommend this to others. It's easy, accurate, and not permanent.

I have tried the wet mount setup and did not like the readings from that. The foam sponge for a frame is nice but remember it's not needed. Once you stick something to the putty it will hold in place.