PDA

View Full Version : La Jolla 9/21 It sucked

wiredantz
09-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Launched 5:20am

surf 4 to 5 ft breaking far from shore, saw a few roll walked my kayak all the way to the left and went through with surf over my head, it was a nice shower. :D

made bait, Seal took bait 3 ft under my kayak.

Then fought seal for 20 mins.... chased birds.... made lots of lobsters bait

no big one caught, didn't see anyone hooked up... 2 accidents on freeway made for 3 hour drive home to LA.

As Matt put it.

La Jolla is a love hate relationship... 99% hate

roadx
09-22-2012, 08:03 AM
yep it sucked

first time rolling in the surf on the way OUT. just got my sonar back from HB and rolling in the surf killed it again, back to HB it goes :mad:
sand dabs, lizard fish and one cormorant but i did make lots of lobster bait. ready for next weekend.:lobster:
wiredantz

found my straw hat where you left it. Thanks!
also recovered my flip flops, so everything was recovered from the roll. :)

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad353/xroadx/P82A0093_zpsbc117b78.jpg

Oxbeast1210
09-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Dang I dont know if im ready for the surf out there!

finyak
09-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Like someone once said there's to many good days to have to go out on big wave day.Still waiting for my first launch.

Hobie-Pedaller
09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
yes, the surf sucks. IMO, one of the only bad parts of ocean fishing in a yak.

i watch the forecasts, and only go out in LJ on low to med surf days.

big surf days are what SD bay is there for. :p

seaquinn
09-23-2012, 04:40 PM
one down-side of the Hobies, in my opinion, is they are much less responsive in the surf. With my old Ocean Kayak Prowler 13, and Cobra tandem, 15 years of surf launching and landing without every turning over, or even close, and the Hobie is much more tricky. You take out the pedals, and then water comes through the middle, and no rocker in the nose. I guess they are "almost" perfect.

Kailolo
09-24-2012, 02:43 PM
My Revo can be tricky, mainly on landing. Going out I bear down and stroke like a manic. Praying for good timing so I crest a wave and go airborn, rather than take the breaking crest in the chest or face. Also, once full of water, the Revo seems to take on a lot of it, be slow to drain, and a slug to get back up to a good paddling speed before the next wave hits.

Landing, with peddles and rudder up, it's been a challenge to keep the desired angle to surf in on a wave, even with a new larger surface area paddle. No keel to speak of. I rolled a few weeks ago on landing when the waves were really up. Don't have the confidence I did with other yaks.

But I still love that yak!

mtnbykr2
09-24-2012, 07:02 PM
My Revo can be tricky, mainly on landing. Going out I bear down and stroke like a manic. Praying for good timing so I crest a wave and go airborn, rather than take the breaking crest in the chest or face. Also, once full of water, the Revo seems to take on a lot of it, be slow to drain, and a slug to get back up to a good paddling speed before the next wave hits.

Landing, with peddles and rudder up, it's been a challenge to keep the desired angle to surf in on a wave, even with a new larger surface area paddle. No keel to speak of. I rolled a few weeks ago on landing when the waves were really up. Don't have the confidence I did with other yaks.

But I still love that yak!
there is supposed to have been a plug for the drive hole when you got the yak, if you got it used, just get one, that's the black stupid looking thing..
lock it down in the drive hole launching and landing...had mine for two years before I found out it really helps...:o