PDA

View Full Version : lobster gauges

lowprofile
09-24-2012, 08:34 AM
i heard they were getting pretty strict with measuring your gauge.. what gauges do you guys use? I have Blue chromed Danielson one that i got for like.. idk.. $5 from wally world. did fine last year but never had a warden measure it.

danjor
09-24-2012, 08:40 AM
I use the promar ones and let go any that are too close. Figure its not worth risking a ticket, rather toss a few back than get a fine and risk maby even getting my gear taken...

MrM
09-24-2012, 08:43 AM
HuntersPa gave me a great tip the other day... And that is to file out a little extra bit of the gauge, that way you know it's legal for sure.

Hunters Pa
09-24-2012, 08:51 AM
HuntersPa gave me a great tip the other day... And that is to file out a little extra bit of the gauge, that way you know it's legal for sure.

Yep, but a lot of the time the warden will ask for your gauge to measure, so keep that in mind

lowprofile
09-24-2012, 08:59 AM
I use the promar ones and let go any that are too close. Figure its not worth risking a ticket, rather toss a few back than get a fine and risk maby even getting my gear taken...

i realise its better to let go those that are too close to call but apparently if they measure your gauge and its not correct, even by 1/8" you can be cited.

bus kid
09-24-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm getting my certified by the NIST. :rolleyes:

jorluivil
09-24-2012, 02:46 PM
If you've never seen a DFG warden measure a lobsters carapace you're in for a big surprise. The first time I saw a warden measure one of my lobsters I couldn't believe how many times he tried to make his gauge fit over the lobsters carapace, its almost as if he was trying to stretch the aluminum gauge. Needless to say, his efforts failed so he moved on to another boater. Had I not shaved my gauge an extra 1/8 of an inch I can guarantee you that the warden would have been able to get his gauge over the carapace. Save yourself the headache, shave your gauge and only keep those that you know are keepers.

wiredantz
09-24-2012, 03:01 PM
i had a warden, crack my lobster, because he was trying to get it over the body.

Punk

:mad: