PDA

View Full Version : preferred method of landing sharks?

skrilla
09-24-2012, 09:01 AM
What's your preferred method of landing a shark on a kayak? On the boat we usually gaff it and slice behind its head. On bigger models we would drag it backwards first. I imagine paddling would be too slow for this?

I've been blessed/cursed (depending how you see it) to have hooked into 6 in the past month with 2 of em good eating size. All were by-catch and safely released but the thought of harvesting one has crossed my mind lately. It's been awhile since I've had a shark sandwich. But again if I don't hook into anymore of these pesky bastards for the rest of the year I'd be one happy camper.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

lowprofile
09-24-2012, 09:12 AM
what kind of sharks?

threshers, get a stick about 4ft and secure a knife to the end. Grab it by the tail and secure the tail across your lap, stab/slice the gills with the knife. tie a rope around the tail and secure the rope to the yak with the sharks tail out of the water and right against your yak. let it bleed out for 10 mins or so while you regain your breath (for some reason i tend to hold my breath lol). once thats done i have a pulley in the rear and a metal eye up front. get a gill knot around its head (basically a one way cinche knot) and tie that to the eyelet up front, run the rail rope through the pulley and pulle it tight. now you have it secured to the side of the yak and can paddle in. if its small (75lb and under) you can throw it on your lap and paddle in.

a soupfin. I'd slip a tail rope on it while along side the yak and clip it off in the rear then throw a gaff between its gills and then pull it over your body and keep it tight so it cant move. those guys are fiesty on the sand, i could only imagine in the yak.

Leopards, just pull them on board. esiest fish to land.

bus kid
09-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Use a seal poke stick got it! :D

jorluivil
09-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Use a seal poke stick got it! :D

10' or 12' pole?

bus kid
09-24-2012, 03:29 PM
10' or 12' pole?

That's what she said!

skrilla
09-24-2012, 04:14 PM
what kind of sharks?

All soupfins and a thresher so far.

Right on... so lift the tail, poke em n' choke em. Sounds easy enough though I'm no sheep farmer. Thanks for the tips.

Anyone have success with a brain spike?

taggermike
09-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Instead of a brain spike try severing the spine behind the head. Mike