PDA

View Full Version : Aerator electrical.

jumpinjoemoreno
09-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Looking to retire my aerator pump tomorrow, went in and looked at the wiring and it is a jungle, I have an aerator and a bilge pump, (2 different pumps) and fish finder hook ups. I need to connect these to 2 switches, not really the electrical type of guy, but I can get by, long story short, I need some help, this thing has 2 fuse housings with 5A fuses. Any help is appreciated.

jorluivil
09-25-2012, 07:24 AM
You should post pics

ful-rac
09-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Hey joe, yeah it's alot of wires, but just do 1 at a time. Looking at them all at once looks pretty intimidating but if you just separate them and replace them, you should be able to do it. If you are going to change out the wires you should change the switches as well.

jumpinjoemoreno
09-25-2012, 07:58 AM
yeah i got a friend who is electrical saavy and i think that is what we are going to do. i appreciate and i really love the kayak, once i get this done, im going to take the plunge and go to la jolla.

Hunters Pa
09-25-2012, 08:06 AM
If you are replacing wire use tinned copper. It is more expensive but holds up a lot better in the saltwater environment. Also, use heatshrink that has adhesive in it for your connections. It seals it up a lot better. Both should be available at any electrical supply store

jumpinjoemoreno
09-25-2012, 08:54 AM
the only other question i have. What is this grease like stuff that is on alot of the connections i dont know what it is. Any insight?

sharjak
09-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Dielectric grease :cool:

StinkyMatt
09-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Any auto parts store should have the grease, Auto Zone does.

ful-rac
09-25-2012, 09:40 AM
correct dielectric grease. I got a whole giant can of it from west marine, it lasts forever and you can use it on alot of other stuff too.

jumpinjoemoreno
09-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Good stuff! A good successful day of rewiring, as it turns out, one of the switches was faulty, got it replaced. Only thing left to buy is a FF, then it's game on, hit the surf for some launching and landing drills, then hit up la jolla!