PDA

View Full Version : new to fish finder

The_Serpent
10-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Want to take my kayak out for the first time. Just got done rigging the whole thing. Can anyone tell me if you can see a lobster or halibut on a fish finder. I've asked many and no one knew. Help?

TJones
10-01-2012, 07:12 AM
i doubt it, unless he was leaving the floor. bugs not sure , maybe if their was a train of em. what unit do you have? it takes lots of experiece to interupt some of this stuff on the screen. goodluck.

MrM
10-01-2012, 07:21 AM
You'd want to look for structure more than anything. I doubt you'd see the actual fish, as stated above. Read up on what fish like what type of environment and then work on finding that environment. (start with the ocean :p )

Go check out a local tackle shop and pick up a set of maps. A good set will have launches, known hot spots, big structure, wrecks, reefs, flats, locals-only spots and coordinates for you to use. It'l cut down the learning curve, big time. Spend the $50. It's well worth it.

ful-rac
10-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Want to take my kayak out for the first time. Just got done rigging the whole thing. Can anyone tell me if you can see a lobster or halibut on a fish finder. I've asked many and no one knew. Help?

No you can't see a lobster on the meter, if it is possible you probably wouldn't be able to distinguish them from the bottom, so no.

Halibut.... is it possible to meter them? Yes according to mark wisch. You have to screw with your fishfinder settings and get it dialed in to where anything thats not the bottom shows up. That anything could be just that anything, could be halibut could be trash, dead body....etc....

Basically use your fishfinder to find the structure that the particular species you are targeting is. Then fish in that area, if you see fish then that's a bonus. Just go out and use it and you will eventually learn.

The_Serpent
10-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will try it this weekend

OutdoorAdvntr
10-03-2012, 07:11 AM
hi, i'm new to fishfinder as well.. i would like to know what kind of battery do you guys use? and how long it last? no other electronics connected to the battery just ff.. thanks!

jruiz
10-03-2012, 08:12 AM
hi, i'm new to fishfinder as well.. i would like to know what kind of battery do you guys use? and how long it last? no other electronics connected to the battery just ff.. thanks!

Depends on the FF. Look through the manual and it should tell you the current consumption of the battery. Multiply that by how many hours you plan to be out and you'll have your battery size. For example if your FF consumes 0.5A and you plan to be out for up to 12hours then you'll likely need at least a 6Ah 12V battery. I have a really low power one and run it off of a 2AH RC NiMH battery.

OutdoorAdvntr
10-03-2012, 09:06 AM
thanks a lot!