PDA

View Full Version : So, you caught some bugs. Dinner is in 12 hours...

MrM
10-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Keep them alive to preserve the meat, moisten towels with sea water, etc. But how do you guys kill them? Some people boil, yada yada. Whats the humane way to go about it?

Thanks

-:lobster: noobie

jorluivil
10-01-2012, 07:54 AM
there's nothing humane about 'killing'

MrM
10-01-2012, 07:56 AM
I was expecting "I let them take a look at Candy!"

Or something along those lines! :p

ctfphoto
10-01-2012, 07:59 AM
I had a bubble box for a bait tank that got retired when I bought a real bait tank.

The bubble box works fantastic and keeps the bugs very lively.

:lobster::lobster::lobster::lobster:

jorluivil
10-01-2012, 08:08 AM

She great in the kitchen and great in the ..........

I usually keep a moist sack in the ice chest or container and freeze them when I get home. I've left them up to 12hrs in the ice chest and when I pull them out they're still kicking.

bus kid
10-01-2012, 08:37 AM
She great in the kitchen and great in the ..........
I usually keep a moist sack

Maybe you should get some new waders to keep the sack dry.

ful-rac
10-01-2012, 09:14 AM
I usually go for the inhumane quick kill. Hold the body down and take a knife to em' cut off the tail rip their intestines out and rinse. Quick clean death. Dont forget to bust the legs of and microwave/popcorn lobster them, lot of extra meat in there.

Loco
10-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Try holding their heads underwater!

CheapPelican
10-01-2012, 10:24 AM
I filled a couple of one gallon bags with water and froze them. Threw a towel soaked with salt water on top. Dropped the bugs on top. Keept them happy and cool till the afternoon. Freezer was full, so I filled the cooler with ice. Two hours later, they were pretty much out of it. Twist, pull, probe :ack2:

- :lobster: Noobie

wiredantz
10-01-2012, 11:29 AM
i like to twist and pull the tail out, and then clean the egg sack and BBQ, or freeze it

OutdoorAdvntr
10-01-2012, 11:31 AM
buy an aquarium tank put a salt water and an aerator, your good to go.. pick only how many you want to cook and leave the rest in the tank :D

Anthony179
10-01-2012, 01:29 PM
buy an aquarium tank put a salt water and an aerator, your good to go.. pick only how many you want to cook and leave the rest in the tank :D

just like at red lobster.

Cbad Mike
10-01-2012, 01:53 PM

Look at her!!! I'm sure she eats them alive, shell and all!

finyak
10-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Keep them alive to preserve the meat, moisten towels with sea water, etc. But how do you guys kill them? Some people boil, yada yada. Whats the humane way to go about it?

Thanks

-:lobster: noobie
A knife straight threw the brain then continue to cut completley in half.If you stick them in the freezer first they kinda go to sleep.

lowprofile
10-01-2012, 03:02 PM
just keep them in the sea water, add frozen bottles to cool them off (calms them down alot) and then thow them in the pot when ready.

who cares how it dies, your going to eat it. as long as it doesnt die before your ready to prepare it. I'm trying to figure out how to keep them alive for 4 days. lol

GR6RR
10-01-2012, 03:11 PM

more than 4 days right here.

MrM
10-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

outdoorzen
10-02-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm a noobbie but the gal at Sport Chalet said to ice em and when your ready to cook just twist, pull and cleann out the bum with one of the antennae. Haven't got one yet to try it out though...

DocHaole
10-03-2012, 10:30 AM
I was told that the most humane way was a knife between the eyes, but what they don't tell you is that then you have a lobster reflexively flipping all over the place like a chicken with it's head cut off, with the knife still lodged between the eyes.

I put them in the freezer for 30 min to calm them down, then twist and pull the tail, and you're done. So much easier.

maui jim
10-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Funny... Just dont name them and you be fine and guilt free....
Does the bait have no soul or life value.... :confused::confused: Just give thanks...
It will be OK:D

lowprofile
10-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Funny... Just dont name them and you be fine and guilt free....
Does the bait have no soul or life value.... :confused::confused: Just give thanks...
It will be OK:D

if it was shrimp no one would think twice. :D the bigger things are the more feelings they have. donchya kno?

Fiskadoro
10-03-2012, 08:55 PM

I have a small dorm sized fridge I've set up for lobsters. I put them in there turn it on and after a while they are chill (quit moving) :D

These things are cold blooded they just slow down. Must not hurt them too much as I once had five pound bug eat half the legs off a just legal while in the fridge.