PDA

View Full Version : 10/11 Dana Report.

DanaPT
10-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Missed my weds fishing appointment. So I'm looking to make it up today and surf launch (beach rd & palisades). After a little debate with my practical/sensible side, I decided to head out anyway. A 40% chance It would not rain.

A few lightning strikes/thunder, a little wind, and just a bit of inconsistent rain at the start. NO big deal. Looking north towards the headlands, it was very dark and grey. I figured I may get rained on but no big deal right?

I did manage to CATCH this rainbow.

Peddled south and made south to that ARCO station (pochie beach) and WHAM dumping rain. No big deal, until the lighting comes. Then my sensible self said WTF are you doing in a lighting storm with a long pole in your hand? :confused:

Stopped fishing, bound the rods and laid them down and peddled back. That storm cell over the headlands was now over me. Pounding rain, wind shifted so now I'm peddeling into the wind with crazy side-ways waves coming at me. With a paddle only kayak, I would have been screwed.

On the water by 6:40. Off the water at 8:45. humbled and cold.

Lesson learned.

mtnbykr2
10-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Got stuck there in a storm last year at a tourney, hate the sideways wind rain and swell, beautiful rainbow though...glad you didn't get lit up

bus kid
10-11-2012, 12:51 PM
beautiful rainbow though...glad you didn't get lit up

X2.

Amish Ed
10-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Glad you made it back safe and sound, if a little wet.

Vikingj
10-12-2012, 10:42 AM
What a crazy thunderstorm! Dumped buckets of water and the lightning strikes near my house scared the bejesus out of me. I didn't know thunder could be so loud. I'm still trying to pull the dog out from underneath the cars in the garage. I can't imagine how "interesting" it must have been otw. Glad you made it back safely and hope your post will help others decide before taking off in the rain.
Wayne

taggermike
10-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Beautiful Photo right there. Glad you made it back. We get weather like that so rarely that it's easy to dismiss the forcast. Mike

fishsouthcounty
10-14-2012, 11:03 AM
That thunder was shaking my house with every strike for a good half hour...less then a second between the strike and the thunder. Glad you got back safe.