PDA

View Full Version : Crabs...

PapaDave
10-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Rock, not crotch...

I recently got a few of these guys, and the meat in the claws was great, but the rest of the body wasn't so great. I know in Florida going after stone crabs you could pull off one of the pinchers and the crab would still live and even regrow the claw after about 4 or 5 molts. Is that the same for the rock crabs? And is that okay with the DFG?

MrM
10-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Rock, not crotch...

Thanks for clarifying! :luxhello:

I know this isn't the definitive answer you're looking for, but I don't think they'd be OK with it. Like all things, the DFG would want to know how big the crab was that it came from, and you can't prove that without the body.

OutdoorAdvntr
10-22-2012, 12:53 PM
does it also goes the same with the lobster, if you chop off the claws? is there a limit for how many claws you can collect? :lobster:

slobslayer
10-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Spiny lobster around here have no claws and must remain whole and untouched until the point just prior of consumption.

DocHaole
10-22-2012, 06:16 PM
does it also goes the same with the lobster, if you chop off the claws? is there a limit for how many claws you can collect? :lobster:

I think you are allowed to collect all the lobster claws you come across in CA without any bag limit

sasha
10-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Duhhh why do you think the lobster that you catch has no claws already??? Some one took them already.... :rolleyes:

Hunters Pa
10-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Rock, not crotch...

I recently got a few of these guys, and the meat in the claws was great, but the rest of the body wasn't so great. I know in Florida going after stone crabs you could pull off one of the pinchers and the crab would still live and even regrow the claw after about 4 or 5 molts. Is that the same for the rock crabs? And is that okay with the DFG?

Nope, no way to tell if they were legal if not attached to the body for measurement.

PapaDave
10-23-2012, 07:08 AM
You guys are correct, DFG finally called back and said that you need to keep the whole crab.

bus kid
10-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Duhhh why do you think the lobster that you catch has no claws already??? Some one took them already.... :rolleyes:

:biggrinjester: :notworthy: :the_finger:

vincentek9
10-24-2012, 09:11 AM
yeah. must keep entire crab. limit is 35. min size 4" wide. sucks that the the claws are the only thing people eat, i would try to use the entire crab and make a crab salad out of it but it is a ton of work... but my grandma would beat me ass if i wasted food.