PDA

View Full Version : PA wood

lowprofile
10-24-2012, 08:38 PM
first question... what kind of wood are the guys using for the side boards on the PA's?

second. It's great to be able to stand up, but i try to do it whenever possible. Bass fishing, throwing swimmies under docks, jigging for squid and macs, tossing irons. I notice the floor flexes, and although its not showing any signs of wear, i feel it will over time. i'm between 245 and 250, so there is a little bit of weight being forced onto a relatively small area of deck space.

was thinking of cutting some 3/8" ply wood and fit it around the center hatch and cover the deck up to the mirage hole to displace some of the weight.

anyone try something like this or know of it being done? i know its a simple job but i dont want to do something that will ruin the yak. Also, I'm just going to lay it in, not drill or epoxy it. ill lacquer/paint it and put some grip tape on one side.

ericko
10-24-2012, 08:51 PM
My pa 12 has alot of foam inside the area that i might stand dont know if this helps just another idea..

it came with the foam.

lowprofile
10-24-2012, 09:00 PM
yeah, mine has foam too. made wiring it a pain. :D

Amish Ed
10-25-2012, 09:01 AM
I'd be more worried about creating new stress points. They'd be in areas not designed to take the kind of pressure they would be getting.

GregAndrew
10-25-2012, 09:37 AM
I would suggest Apitong for the deck wood. It is a sturdy hardwood that handles the Sun well and has a bit of water resistance. It is what they use for stakebed trucks. There is a similar wood available too that is sometimes used as a substitute (because of availablility), but I cannot remember the name of it.

taggermike
10-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Teak is one of the best woods for sun and water exposure but it has become very expensive. Avitong-apitong?? is a good wood for exposure and its tough as well. Sand it smooth and use an oil coating and it should be good. Mike

Hunters Pa
10-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Teak is one of the best woods for sun and water exposure but it has become very expensive. Avitong-apitong?? is a good wood for exposure and its tough as well. Sand it smooth and use an oil coating and it should be good. Mike

I think there is a sailboat salvage place in Long Beach where you may be able to get some older pieces. Or look on CL for people parting out their boats

jorluivil
10-25-2012, 12:26 PM
I think there is a sailboat salvage place in Long Beach where you may be able to get some older pieces. Or look on CL for people parting out their boats

This place has a lot of boat junk....you might be able to find something there

http://www.kellymarine.com/

Anthony179
10-25-2012, 01:49 PM
I work in a lumber yard in City of Industry. Teak goes for $23 a board foot. How much lumber and thickeness do you need. I have some teak in a 4/4 and 8/4 thick. Let me know. I can get you a piece at no charge. you just need to pick up. 626-274-0425