PDA

View Full Version : Trout fishing question

todd one
11-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Does anyone know if they've started stocking Lake Murry in San Diego.

SDROB
11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't know if they have stocked it prior but I know the next stocking is the week of 12-9-12. Here's the link I always go to for my trout stocking info

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/

Hope this helps! Also if you scroll through the next few pages it will tell you if it was stocked or not.

todd one
11-29-2012, 05:15 PM
I don't know if they have stocked it prior but I know the next stocking is the week of 12-9-12. Here's the link I always go to for my trout stocking info

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/

Hope this helps! Also if you scroll through the next few pages it will tell you if it was stocked or not.

Right on money, thanks. I'm trying to find a new trout spot, since they stopped stocking Mira Mar. I fished that lake for years. They stocked the big Nebraskas too. I miss trout fishing there.

roadx
11-29-2012, 05:43 PM
lake Jennings have been stocked with 6000 Mt. Lassen's "Sierra Bow" Rainbow Trout so far. there a great tasting fish with an orange flesh similar to salmon.
only bummer NO kayaks. i go in my buddies tricked out canoe (thanks Mitchell).
i be there tommorrow for the first time this season. reports from lake Jennings is promising.

last year pic

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad353/xroadx/fish/jennings12-9.jpg

todd one
11-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Oh yeah! those are nice. Mt. Lasson's are nice too. I'm look for some where to catch Mt. Lassons or Nebraskas from my kayak. There's Corona Lake, but that's too far from San Diego. Not to mention it cost 22 dollars, then another 20 to launch. And about 20 in gas.

RobFish
11-29-2012, 06:08 PM
What I've found is that the best place in San Diego to catch a lunker trout from your kayak is at Lake Cuyamaca, or Lake Jennings as mentioned before.
Again you run into $20 in fuel to get there, plus time, etc.
Once upon a time before I owned a kayak, I used to go to Santee Lakes. I got my name in the newspaper for this guy. 25.5" long and just over 7 pounds.

todd one
11-29-2012, 06:49 PM
That's a nice one Rob. Can you take a kayak on Santee? I'm there this season if you can. Those trout the DFG stock suck. There a pound each. It's all about the Nebraskas or the Mt. lassons. Corona has the largest hands down. They're in the double digits, up to 18 lbs. It's quite expensive though, and no guarantee you're going to catch one of the big ones.

RobFish
11-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the props Todd.
As far as a kayak on Santee Lakes, nope. No need though.
It's a fresh water source owned/operated by Padre Dam. The lakes are decent in size, but with enough weight and a good arm, you can cast across them. They stock some pretty fat ones, but they also tag a few, and at the end of the season, they do a drawing for prizes. Free fishing for next season, rod/reel combos, and iirc the grand prize is a flat screen TV. It's also a great place to take visitors or friends that don't really fish, as it's privately owned, and so you don't need a CA fishing license. Parking and a 2 rod stamp is roughly $20.
Another nice aspect is that it's close, has a little store, & a fish cleaning station.

I too like fishing for big trout. In September, I landed my first Alpers trout up in Mammoth. Nice sized, nice fight, and the colors were awesome.