PDA

View Full Version : Anybody With Back Problems?

Sdspeed
12-02-2012, 05:59 AM
Has anyone that fights back pain find that it increased or decreased after they started kayaking or found in moderation it was beneficial ? :confused:

Amish Ed
12-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Bad back problems here. I've found that with the right yak/seat combo I'm fine on the water. In my Manta 14 I can go as long as I want. My T140 at 4hrs I was hurting. Steve's Prowler, it depended on what seat I was using. In order of comfort... Feel Free, Apex 1, Sea Air Sports. My biggest problem is getting to and from the water. Haven't solved that problem yet.

Sdspeed
12-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Bad back problems here. I've found that with the right yak/seat combo I'm fine on the water. In my Manta 14 I can go as long as I want. My T140 at 4hrs I was hurting. Steve's Prowler, it depended on what seat I was using. In order of comfort... Feel Free, Apex 1, Sea Air Sports. My biggest problem is getting to and from the water. Haven't solved that problem yet.

Any idea why the Manta appears to work the best for you?

Amish Ed
12-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Part of it is that the cockpit is wide with the center support being narrow. This leaves me free to adjust my legs into multiple positions. The seat itself just fits my back perfect. A big part of this is because the seat pan sits lower than most kayaks and the area behind the seat is higher. What this gives is an area that supports my low back when I'm leaning back. No other kayak I've had has given me that support. If you want to test paddle one, try Southwind kayaks. I don't think they carry them anymore, but they should have some in their rental fleet and might be willing to sell one.

I will say, they are not a great yak for surf launching though. The very small hatches don't give you much room for below deck storage and the scupper holes are small. But, I don't surf launch often, so it's a non-issue for me.

Do you have a kayak right now?

Sdspeed
12-02-2012, 09:21 AM
No I have a variety of health concerns. I tried a trident 13 but nothing else yet. I didn't last long in the T13 but it's not like I can pick my own seat.
I do know I can't go down the peddle road due to both my back and knees. In addition to that I have storage limitations so 14 or less, the less part being better. Being in San Diego eventually I'd be surf launching too.

Amish Ed
12-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Yeah I understand. I don't like the newer OKs because the footwells are so narrow that you can't move your feet and thus knees around. You should try the Tarpon 140 it might work for you. Did you try the Trident at OEX? They should have multiple different yaks you can try out.

Drake
12-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Two herniated disks and bone degeneration on my back. I had a lot of pain for a while, but kayaking has definitely made it better. The term "motion is lotion" is certainly true.

GregAndrew
12-02-2012, 10:23 AM
I have L4 and L5 protrusions and have had lots of improvement in my condition since I started paddling a kayak. Paddling has helped to strengthen my core which I believe is where my success has come from. I did however, go through a good bit of pain pushing my limits. Finding a comfortable seat and/or pad combination is very individual from my experience. What works great for others may be a serious pain to you. I would suggest that you look for a seat that provides support where you need it. Then keep it adjusted properly to give you that support. My straps are constantly self adjusting, and I usually find out by a pain in the back after a long day.

Sdspeed
12-02-2012, 11:21 AM
I appreciate the input, as far as the "core" does paddaling cause any grief in the upper back or neck. I honestly think that if I approach this at a measured rate that I'd see a health benefit, and no doubt as a young 55 I could use it.
I just wanted as much input from a large cross section to be an educated consumer and not look at kayaking thru rose colored glasses. I know there is a lot of variables but I don't think that If I buy used and get a seat and paddle that fit me that should it not pan out I can sell and not take to bad of a beating. :D

RobFish
12-02-2012, 05:22 PM
My back is a pretzel as well thanks to years of roadracing motorcycles.
IMO, the Hobie Pro Angler is the only way to go. All the real estate you need to move and change positions. I started out in a paddle kayak, and just being committed to the 90* bend at the waist made for some pretty short outings.
Now, 7-8 hour days are the norm. I credit it all to the ability to move around.
Just the ability to get to my knees and arch my back is huge, let alone on the more calm days to really stand up and give the back a good stretching out.

T-Rex
12-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Neck and low back problems. With a good seat, I'm fine paddling all day -- it's the next day or two when I really feel it. Lifting my xFactor doesn't help. One day my back was killing me I test rode a PA 12 at OEX Sunset and found the new seat more comfortable for my back than my car seat. I was pretty impressed.

Baja_Traveler
12-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Sciatic nerve pinch here - my old Scupper Pro was killing me - not enough lower back support no matter what I did. Then I tried the new Vantage seating on the PA's. Wow what a ride! I'll be back in the kayaking game next month in a new PA14.

Cbad Mike
12-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Bad lower back. It feels ok on the water but I have to be careful loading and unloading my Stealth 14.

Jimmyz123
12-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Back problems are due to a lot of issues that we all put our bodies through. What I have noticed is that Kayak Paddling has vastly improved my core and has helped to relieve the pains I use to have. If you are paddling correctly and your seat is adjusted to provide the right support you should notice improvement in the feeling. My first kayaks had the paper thin seats and I use to feel that in the rear but now I have a very well cushioned seat and not leg numbness, no butt pain, and back feels great.

Now when you're loading and unloading you need to remember good lifting techniques as well. If you're not lifting correctly that can cause more issues. I learned that if you need help loading or unloading your kayak, ask for assistance, someone will help you. If you're alone figure out a safe way to load and unload that will not cause injury. I snapped my bicep tendon loading my kayak into my truck about 3 years ago. Had I asked for help that would not have happened.

Pocoloco
12-03-2012, 08:15 AM
My back is a pretzel as well thanks to years of roadracing motorcycles.
IMO, the Hobie Pro Angler is the only way to go. All the real estate you need to move and change positions. I started out in a paddle kayak, and just being committed to the 90* bend at the waist made for some pretty short outings.
Now, 7-8 hour days are the norm. I credit it all to the ability to move around.
Just the ability to get to my knees and arch my back is huge, let alone on the more calm days to really stand up and give the back a good stretching out.
football and surfing caused my back and neck problems and after going through 5 yaks from paddle to peddle, you can't beat a pa 12 for comfort and fishability. not enough pressure for knee problems and a really comfortable seat. stand up all day.

RobFish
12-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Hola Senor Loco,
I'm in a PA12 now, and came from a PA14. I couldn't agree more, that being able to move is the key. Think about how much we sit at 90* angles...
Driving, desk jobs, riding bicycles/motorcycles, and add to that kayaking...it all adds up. Stretching in general has helped big time, and like Drake said, motion is the lotion. Do enough of these though...and yup I'm number 649.

Pocoloco
12-03-2012, 10:19 AM
love those pocket rocket pogo sticks:ack2:

Sdspeed
12-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Hola Senor Loco,
I'm in a PA12 now, and came from a PA14. I couldn't agree more, that being able to move is the key. Think about how much we sit at 90* angles...
Driving, desk jobs, riding bicycles/motorcycles, and add to that kayaking...it all adds up. Stretching in general has helped big time, and like Drake said, motion is the lotion. Do enough of these though...and yup I'm number 649.

I agree, I have a left shoulder and collar bone being held together with a wide assortment of hardware by the same past, need for speed! Question is did ya stay upright?

Is there anywhere in San Diego where I can rent a PA 12?
My knees are tired but haven't ever been cut on.

RobFish
12-03-2012, 02:38 PM
The bike stayed upright. Me, not so much. Went over the front, bike hit me in the head (should explain a lot to those that know me), and I got a full page spread as the Crash Page in Road Racing World magazine.

As far as rental PA's...not that I'm aware of. You're in SD, so the trip, even tho well worth it, to OEX up in the OC would cost you $40 in fuel alone, perhaps a visit to the local dealer here might be in order. Just a thought.
To redeem yourself for visiting the local dealer, you will need to spend a few dollars at OEX-SD to prove your loyalty to the efforts being made here.

Also, popping a few Advil or the like before your launch helps too, as does anything from our friends at Ballast Point Brewing Co., or so I've heard.

Pocoloco
12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
you can test one at fastlane in mission bay for free. they are pretty cool, so bring your rod as part of the test ride.:reel:

surf-bum
12-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Having your back problems get better or worse when kayaking depends on the type of back pain you are having.

In general, if you have disc protrusion issues, the sitting and bending forward would tend to increase your pain, or your issue because it forces the disc back into the spinal cord/canal which leads to pain and numbness. In this persons case, you would want to be sitting more upright (back support/proper arch) and thus you may prefer something like the PA ( although I have never tried it). Having the PA would also give you the ability to move around and change positions which would help decrease the pain.

If you have stenosis or degenerative disc disease (loss of disc space), having a backward bend in your back would increase your pain. Bending forward should decrease this persons pain. Thus this person would benefit from a kayak that would afford more bend in the back. This could be the person that had their pain get better from kayaking.

For both conditions, regardless on kayak model, the paddling would help to strengthen the core providing you have the proper technique. This may not decrease the pain while kayaking, but it could help decrease ones pain overall.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the long explanation.

Sdspeed
12-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Really do appreciate everybodys input.:D

hd2001glide
12-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Guys, please follow this advice and it will change your life....I promise. If you are having back pain pick up the book "Healing Back Pain the Mind Body Connection" by Dr. John Sarno. The TV show 20/20 did a show on him and John Stossell swore by him and I have a L4 & L5 herniated discs and have been out of pain for 12 years now and I swear by the book. You will find this hard to believe but the battle is with your Mind not with your back/kneck or any other body part. Stop and think about it, you have tried everything but you are still in pain so pick up this book by this prominent neurologist and follow it.....it will change your life.