PDA

View Full Version : Leo Carrillo

danjor
12-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Im planing on fishing there tomorrow 12/11 if anyone wants to join (that is if work doesn't call me in the next few hours)
My first time trying this area, have only heard good stuff about it.
Waves reports say under a foot swells and wind tops out at 5mph so nice calm day
Planing on fishing mainly plastics and strip squid for rockfish and halibut.
Any tips also appreciated :)

crazyfishnfool
12-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Im game what time you planning on getting out at??:cheers1:

danjor
12-10-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm thinking about leaving my house around 330-400 and its a 2 hour drive without traffic and with idk... lol so I'll get there around 6 to 7 depending on traffic

danjor
12-10-2012, 06:20 PM
See you there. I'll be in a yellow trident 15, running to BPS right now to slap on a fish finder for tomorrow. Stupid Elite 7 still has not come out yet so a elite 4x will do for now.

crazyfishnfool
12-10-2012, 07:00 PM
im going to have to get there around 9 i will see there though. will be in my black and yellow scupper pro. Im looking forward on getting to try out my new magellan hand held gps i have some solid way points already installed for us tomorrow c u there

danjor
12-10-2012, 08:23 PM
I'll probably see you there around that time. Going to sleep in and leave around 630

danjor
12-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Well first of all I got skunked. But it wasn't all bad, it was my first time going to the Malibu area and I got to say wow its beautiful up there!! The ocean was flat, less waves than most lakes! I was surprised how warm it was up there I brought layers and ended up with a tee shirt and shorts and I still broke a sweat out there.
Anyways fishing up there seems completely different than San Diego area, the water was extremely clear, there was 40+ feet of visibility which was amazing! I ended up spending most of the trip looking down at the ocean floor while paddling and not so much fishing, was amazing to see all the rock formations and kelp forests, was almost like a diving trip without getting wet lol saw everything from starfish, sea slugs, sea urchins, I could even see the crabs in the commercial pots! I was surprised I didn't see one game fish only huge smelt, like 18+ inch models and those lovely orange fish you see along docks.
Finished off the evening eating fish and chips at a place in Santa Monica called Ye Olde Kings Head, very good food and nice atmosphere, was like I just stepped into London.
So even though I didn't end up catching anything it was an amazing trip!

Redeyejedi
12-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Well first of all I got skunked. But it wasn't all bad, it was my first time going to the Malibu area and I got to say wow its beautiful up there!! The ocean was flat, less waves than most lakes! I was surprised how warm it was up there I brought layers and ended up with a tee shirt and shorts and I still broke a sweat out there.
Anyways fishing up there seems completely different than San Diego area, the water was extremely clear, there was 40+ feet of visibility which was amazing! I ended up spending most of the trip looking down at the ocean floor while paddling and not so much fishing, was amazing to see all the rock formations and kelp forests, was almost like a diving trip without getting wet lol saw everything from starfish, sea slugs, sea urchins, I could even see the crabs in the commercial pots! I was surprised I didn't see one game fish only huge smelt, like 18+ inch models and those lovely orange fish you see along docks.
Finished off the evening eating fish and chips at a place in Santa Monica called Ye Olde Kings Head, very good food and nice atmosphere, was like I just stepped into London.

my stomping grounds.

been surfing the area since 80's

going to be doing some campyakn there this off season.

TJones
12-13-2012, 04:14 PM
or meeting at cabrill?

Biggameaddict
12-13-2012, 07:32 PM
your not going to see the fish from your yak. their hidden real good in the rocks or halibut are hidden in the sand. you shouldve dragged a sardine behind you that wouldve been fun. its sounds like a good day anyway.