PDA

View Full Version : More Hawaii action from the 808 state!

Kau grown
12-14-2012, 04:59 PM
I've got tons of yak fishing video footage for pelagics from the past few weeks I'm starting to go through and edit, here's one I made last night! Aloha and enjoy! :reeling:

KG
Big Island, Hawaii

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dgJSOqpdFb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/dgJSOqpdFb8

Aaron&Julie
12-14-2012, 06:27 PM
You guys are da bomb!
Awesome video, and I loved the soundtrack.
Jealous? :D Oh, yeah. Keep 'em coming.
Hana Pa'a!

MrPatrick
12-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Great video. Please explain the harpooning of the fish before you gaff them. Do you hit them in the spine or head to stun them?

Kau grown
12-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Great video. Please explain the harpooning of the fish before you gaff them. Do you hit them in the spine or head to stun them?

Yep! For some reason the fish doesn't get as nuts compared to a gaff! I usually try to stone them in the brain on the first shot! But most of the time I dispatch a fish with my bat, most of us here in Hawaii use it, we call it a "kage" it works great and some guys only use the kage instead of a gaff! I use both tho, I like to sink my gaff into its head right after the kage shot!!! Hate to try and gaff a large fish trashing next to me and miss, putting a hole in the side of my yak! IMHO it's easier to pull up a 50+ pound fish with a gaff in my yak too!

Kau grown
12-15-2012, 01:03 AM
You guys are da bomb!
Awesome video, and I loved the soundtrack.
Jealous? :D Oh, yeah. Keep 'em coming.
Hana Pa'a!

Mahalo!

Necron 99
12-15-2012, 03:39 AM
Thanks for sharing. Next deployment I'm heading out your way. I'll take some leave and fly over to the big island. Looks like fun.

MrPukaShell
12-15-2012, 04:40 AM
Simply Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Divad
12-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Nice Bra! Time for move to the big island!:luxhello:
Thanks for sharing.

Kau grown
12-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Cheeeeee Pono!!!! Big mahalo brothers!!!! Heres a vid of the 66# shibi I caught earlier this month, I slapped it together really quick lastnight! I tried doing the rewind playback feature and it didnt come out as good as I wanted but it's good enough, I'll be working on more vids tonight. I didnt realize my front camera was off during the entire fight, I'm glad I had the back camera on! lol It gets a lil crazy sometimes, wake up from nap, Grab pole, set hook, tighten up drap, reel up other line, turn on cameras! Sometimes I forget a couple things! haha main thing Is that I wake up from my nap, set that hook and land the fish! lol

http://youtu.be/VZa2NNqtdMc

DanaPT
12-15-2012, 02:09 PM
:luxhello::notworthy::luxhello::notworthy:

great videos

lterrero
12-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Nice Video, is Kage & gaffing a tradition in Hawaii :confused:

blitzburgh
12-15-2012, 07:09 PM
:notworthy:

Kau grown
12-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Nice Video, is Kage & gaffing a tradition in Hawaii :confused:

Not really a tradition, it's just how we like to land, secure and subdue these pelagics here in Hawaii.

ful-rac
12-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Wow wahoo from a kayak!!! Really!! Awsome braddah!:luxhello:

dwntwnall4u
12-16-2012, 02:33 AM
Nice work. I have yet to try out my Kage.

RobFish
12-16-2012, 06:28 AM
Awesome all the way around!
Great fish and great videos. Very motivating indeed. So motivating that I went ahead and built my own kage. Haven't used it yet although it's been on a few trips. Can't wait though. Also, pronounce kage for me please. You did it once before in a previous post, but I want to make sure I'm saying it correctly.
Kah-gay is how I've been saying it. Spear just sounds so boring.
Again, thanks for the motivation.

hook1fred
12-16-2012, 10:00 AM
awesome.... love fishing hawaii

Kau grown
12-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Awesome all the way around!
Great fish and great videos. Very motivating indeed. So motivating that I went ahead and built my own kage. Haven't used it yet although it's been on a few trips. Can't wait though. Also, pronounce kage for me please. You did it once before in a previous post, but I want to make sure I'm saying it correctly.
Kah-gay is how I've been saying it. Spear just sounds so boring.
Again, thanks for the motivation.

Awseome!!! Yup that's how we say it here, I never leave land without mines! Lol I also feel a lot more secure with a kage being on my yak, if a frisky tiger comes along and tries something stupid than he'll get a lil taste of stainless steel in his nose! Haha, we've got tons of tigers here in Hawaii but most of them are just curious and harmless! The smaller ones ranging from 6-10 are usually more aggressive and The bigger 11-15 footers are lazy and usually just float around. Didn't really have to use my kage for that purpose yet but I feel like it would defiantly work if I had to. Now you gotta get out and bless that kage!!

Goodluck and tight lines bro!!! Go gettum!

Here's one of my favorite vids I made, probably cause its one of my favorite songs! lol it's an old vid I did when I just started to edit videos.

Aloha, KG

http://youtu.be/aJ2EQeKbkeg

RobFish
12-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Another great video KG, and thanks for the pronunciation clarification.
I'll be heading out tomorrow for a quick AM session, and will do my best to make you proud by putting my kage to use.
Good times ahead.

Ggiannig89
12-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Badass video thanks for sharing

taggermike
12-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Gret vid. Thanks for posting. I noticed you put a muzzle or shealth around that ono's mouth befor you stashed it in the hatch. Great idea right there. What were you using bait or lure wise? Is that kage barbed or knotched in any way? Seams like if the spike was smooth or polished it would slide back out of the fish. Thanks, Mike

Kau grown
12-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Gret vid. Thanks for posting. I noticed you put a muzzle or shealth around that ono's mouth befor you stashed it in the hatch. Great idea right there. What were you using bait or lure wise? Is that kage barbed or knotched in any way? Seams like if the spike was smooth or polished it would slide back out of the fish. Thanks, Mike

Aloha Mike, I like to use the muzzle to protect my fish bag in my hull, I ruined a bag stuffing ono's in without the muzzle before! Them teeth are razor sharp! I like to use whatever live bait that are around the peligcs since that is what they are feeding on, mostly scads. But sometimes they are very hard to find and catch and I'm stuck with using crystal minnows or swim baits. My kage is made out of a 3/8" stainless steel threaded rod. It usually sticks very well if you hit um in the head or spine, but if I get a meat or belly shot it does slip out if I don't back it up with my gaff! I also had a tuna slip off when I kaged it right through the eyes. Try to hit um in the head, it's very bony and it most likely will never slip off! I stoned a 71# tuna in the brain with my kage and pretty much had to unscrew it out because it was stuck so bad! Lol

Thanks mike and tight lines!
KG

JarrodMc
12-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Great day on the water man!

Kau grown
12-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Here's a new vid of the ono's I caught from the past couple weeks! I went out yesterday and had an EPIC day!!!! Hooked and landed 3 yellow fin tunas, 12#, 30#, and a monster 115# yellow fin tuna! A 4 hour battle and 3 mile tow kicked my butt! Lol but it was well worth it! Gonna work on that vid this weekend and post it here when it's done! Mahalo everyone for the awseome comments and aloha!

KG

http://youtu.be/cRW3VNC4bbc

ful-rac
12-21-2012, 04:02 PM
That's some awsome fishing you have over there! I still can't belive you can actually catch wahoo from your kayak! How far do you usually have to paddle? Man if you wanted to catch wahoo here you'd have to go on a 7-8 day out of san diego...and go about 600 miles...your a lucky guy! Cant' wait for the yellowfin video that's too cool!!!

VINNYC
12-21-2012, 04:49 PM
You make me want to tell my wife were going on a vacation to Hawaii and just fish the entire time were there, looks like a blast!!!

Kau grown
12-23-2012, 01:19 PM
The day before I caught a 115# yellow fin tuna I bumped into the worlds largest fish, this whale shark was massive!!!!! It made a 19 foot boat next to it look like a lil dingy!!!! It hung out for about 10 minutes until the boats chased it away!!! Them damn noisy motors!!!!! It was an awesome expiernce I will never forget! I got some underwater footage with my gopro while it was checking me out, but I had to keep my distance since I know that they like to scratch there backs on the bottom of the boats. I didn't want to be a back scratcher for a fish this size!!!
Shortly after it left I hooked and landed a 31# bull mahimahi! I gotta say it was an awesome week and a great Xmas gift!

Happy holidays and tight lines brothers!
Aloha, KG

http://youtu.be/fhxpzKifc9s

Kau grown
01-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Aloha brothers, I hope everyone had a fun and safe holiday break. Finally had some time to edit my video of the 115 pound ahi (yellow fin tuna) I caught a couple weeks ago!!!! Ended 2012 with a BANG!!!!!! This is how we do it here in Hawaii, mahalo for watching and enjoy!

Happy new year everyone!
Aloha, KG

http://youtu.be/fU8LbHtAYc8

dbarnett66
01-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Aloha brothers, I hope everyone had a fun and safe holiday break. Finally had some time to edit my video of the 115 pound ahi (yellow fin tuna) I caught a couple weeks ago!!!! Ended 2012 with a BANG!!!!!! This is how we do it here in Hawaii, mahalo for watching and enjoy!

Happy new year everyone!
Aloha, KG

http://youtu.be/fU8LbHtAYc8

I just watched this with my 7 year old three times. Awesome!

JKay
01-06-2013, 05:26 AM
Great videos!! I spent 4 years on the Kona side of the Big Island many years ago. Wish I would have been into kayak fishing back then. I never would have left. Which side of the island do you normally fish? Mahalo for the videos bro. ;)

Kau grown
01-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Great videos!! I spent 4 years on the Kona side of the Big Island many years ago. Wish I would have been into kayak fishing back then. I never would have left. Which side of the island do you normally fish? Mahalo for the videos bro. ;)

Mahalo!!! I go from the Kona and south side.

RGB
01-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Great videos keep em comin!

ful-rac
01-06-2013, 11:31 AM
WOW!!! You are a tough crazy mofo! Awsome! Thats tough enough to do on a boat...you are DA MAN!

GregAndrew
01-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Ridiculously Awesome! Great group of videos there.

Kau grown
01-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys!!!! I got to get out today, first day of 2013 and landed a 39# wahoo and lost a bigger one to a damn tiger shark!!!! Really bummed out that the shark had to grab the bigger one of the two but at least I came in with one.

Aloha, KG

Kau grown
02-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Aloha, here's a new vid from a trip in January, I haven't had time to do editing lately, I have tons of new epic footage to work on this week and will try to bang out a few this weekend for everyone to see the action here in Hawaii.

Mahalo for watching, tight lines and safe fishing brothers!!!

KG

http://youtu.be/T9Af5R6HfrI

GregAndrew
02-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Killer as usual. You need to get somebody to change the words on "Gangster Paradise" to "Pelagic Paridise".

tunaseeker
02-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Incredible! Keep em coming!
:cheers1:

outdoorzen
02-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Sweet vids KG, thanks for sharing!

fishingfiend
02-15-2013, 06:19 PM
:notworthy: RESPECT! Wahoo is just incredible from a kayak, but the 115# Ahi is out of control. :you_rock:

HeavyDrag
02-15-2013, 07:45 PM
NICE BRA,

I grew up in Kohala, I miss fishing for ulua with my dad and old man Steve.
What part of the Big Island you fishing?

Kau grown
02-20-2013, 08:07 PM
NICE BRA,

I grew up in Kohala, I miss fishing for ulua with my dad and old man Steve.
What part of the Big Island you fishing?

Aloha HD, I'm from ka'u but live now live in Kona. Kohala is country just like ka'u! Mahalo bro!

Thank you everyone for all the awesome replys!!!!

Aloha, KG

carbonbass
02-20-2013, 09:00 PM
tiger sharks? :confused: is it typically pretty sharky when you go out? Have you ever had close encounters with them or had them nudge your kayak? :X

Kau grown
02-24-2013, 09:54 PM
tiger sharks? :confused: is it typically pretty sharky when you go out? Have you ever had close encounters with them or had them nudge your kayak? :X

It's almost pretty common to see a tiger on every trip I go out on, we see them so much that it doesn't really phase us anymore! Most of them are just cruising by and aren't aggressive, but some of the smaller tigers are curious and will get too close for my comfort! Lol I did have a big boy almost hit me broadside at full speed when it was chasing the bait I was trying to reel up as fast as I could! It dove down a few feet before impact and caused a huge wake, that was crazy! But other than that no big threat yet, they are a big part of fishing here that we accept and are very beautiful creatures that We have much respect for.

Kau grown
02-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Thank you guys! Here's some recent action of a 75# yellow fin tuna using PENN rods and reels!

http://youtu.be/rbDHKTJYUZQ

blitzburgh
02-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Thank you guys! Here's some recent action of a 75# yellow fin tuna using PENN rods and reels!

http://youtu.be/rbDHKTJYUZQ

Holy crap! You Sir, are the man. :luxhello:

619-SWIM-DOG
02-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Hey KG.....nice video as always. Killer job on day one of the Makahiki...

Kau grown
03-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Aloha my bradah's, Big Mahalo for the replys, I have been slacking on my video editing lately! It's starting to pile up on my comp. I worked on one yesterday really quick and I hope I have the time and patience to bang out a few more this week. Mahalo for watching!

http://youtu.be/8vdLYp-jMv0

Oxbeast1210
03-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Nice vids what kayak is that?

Kau grown
03-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Nice vids what kayak is that?

Thanks! It's a Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game.