PDA

View Full Version : Kage question

taggermike
02-13-2013, 09:49 AM
I have lost yet another gaff. One lost at sea, one stollen, and now one left in mexico. So for the 4th try, and after seeing our Hawain brother's fish landing style, I'm going to build a kage. Did some research, looks simple enough, but 2 details eluded me.

How long should the actual spike be? Long enough to go through the head of the biggest fish in our area obviously, but how much after that?

What is the best diameter for the spike to be? 1/2, 3/8, 5/16?? The larger spike will hold better but take more force to penetrate the fish ad leave a bigger hole(meat damage).

Island anglers, and any so cal kage users, please help me out.

Mike

Redeyejedi
02-13-2013, 12:11 PM
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/34100-Kage-%28kah-geh-%29

and there's a cat from the garden isle on here with some fairly impressive vids, look around, some really cool threads.

Cbad Mike
02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Don't go crazy building one because as history shows, You will probably lose it. :D

maui jim
02-13-2013, 01:38 PM
I am looking to build one, finding the 3/8" Stainless Steel all-thead is a little tough to find so far...
I planning to use 1 1/4" dia. 30" length wood dowl and 18" length of all-thread . Expoxing 4" or so into the dowl ,cork wraped, and grinding that bitch to a nice sharp point..:cool:

taggermike
02-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the link Redeye. That is an impressive looking spear. Jim, I found ss all thread at the home depot, just wasn't sure what size to get. And Cbad, you're probably right. Anything I make could end up swimming. My last gaffs were made from thrift store golf club handles and squidco hooks. Not a big investment. Kage will be the same. Thanks. Mike

Redeyejedi
02-13-2013, 07:06 PM
no problem.
i have an old aluminum spear with a screw in spearhead with a flopper on it. may try to repurpose that into a kage stick.
http://i.imgur.com/ZJaUFCKl.jpg

jorluivil
02-13-2013, 07:50 PM
I've considered making something similar but my fear is what if that fish comes up vertical? How do you spear it?

JarrodMc
02-13-2013, 09:34 PM
If I were you why don't you just use some 3/8 stainless rod or even 1/4 is probably strong enough. You don't need allthread. Just drill a hole in your dowel and epoxy it in there. if you're that worried about it, run a screw into the dowel and halfway into the SS rod. done

taggermike
02-15-2013, 11:40 AM
I think they prefer the all thread because the threads help to hold the fish on to the rod. Redeye, I have a toggle head on a short pole spear that I use for halibut. It would work well, I think, as a kage. I suppose a full break away head would work well but be a PITA to deploy. Maybe a great idea for huge fish like pacific halibut but over kill for local fishing. Mike

bus kid
02-15-2013, 02:43 PM
I am looking to build one, finding the 3/8" Stainless Steel all-thead is a little tough to find so far...
I planning to use 1 1/4" dia. 30" length wood dowl and 18" length of all-thread . Expoxing 4" or so into the dowl ,cork wraped, and grinding that bitch to a nice sharp point..:cool:

"maui jim has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages"
I have about 4 feet of .250 - .375 ss rod your more then welcomed to it, but first pay your damn bill, so you can PM if you need some security tokens let me know I will get them to you!

I've considered making something similar but my fear is what if that fish comes up vertical? How do you spear it?

easy, pull the trigger. :the_finger:

jorluivil
02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
"maui jim has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages"
I have about 4 feet of .250 - .375 ss rod your more then welcomed to it, but first pay your damn bill, so you can PM if you need some security tokens let me know I will get them to you!

easy, pull the trigger. :the_finger:

Duh......I meant vertical.

geez....I must be putting to much thought into this:confused::confused::confused::confused::confu sed::confused:

I'll stick to my gaff:D:D:D:D:D:D

ful-rac
02-15-2013, 03:48 PM
So after you make yourself a kah-geh and you still need a gaff right? I noticed on the dude from kona's video he first spears then gaffs...so looks like you guys need to build both.

surf-bum
02-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Try search the Aquahunters forum for how to make a Kage. Should be helpful.

bus kid
02-15-2013, 09:14 PM
And this is why I don't fish, its just too complicated...