PDA

View Full Version : Painted the YAK

madncrzydm
02-13-2013, 10:22 PM
So i was really tired of my kayak being a really ugly green the guy that had it before me had painted it and it was chipping off and you could see the yellow showing through just didnt look very appealing to the eye. Well i painted it a camo color i came up with. Hope you like.

Cbad Mike
02-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Looks awesome. Right on! Probably the best home paint job that Ive seen. I just hope you used waterproof paint.:)

Mike

Scorch
02-13-2013, 11:06 PM
So i was really tired of my kayak being a really ugly green the guy that had it before me had painted it and it was chipping off and you could see the yellow showing through just didnt look very appealing to the eye. Well i painted it a camo color i came up with. Hope you like.

I like your kayak cart real boss !:jig::wsb::reel:

madncrzydm
02-13-2013, 11:33 PM
I used tough gloss enamal paint and I still have to do the underside the top took more cans of grey than I thought it would. When im done im hitting it with a really tough matte clear coat and ill do probably 4 coats of that. Its the same clear coat I use to clear all my military stuff when I camo it out. Also thanks ive never done a camo paint job on this large of a scale before. I have painted alot of things camo in my life just never with this color combo. I covered the whole thing in camo netting spraid all the colors on then blended free hand. And the kayak cart I can not take credit for I purchased it off of someone. Works really great and would be super easy to build though.

PapaDave
02-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Very nice.

I've been wanting to do a camo paint on my PA for awhile now.

Questions...

- What is the camo netting and where can one find it?
- Can you give a little more detail of how you used the netting in the process?

GR6RR
02-14-2013, 09:06 AM
dope job you did there! glad it worked out, looks really cool. we might lose site of you while you're fishing. if you plan to sell it, make sure to increase the price for it's uniqueness. ain't no other yak like this one!:cheers1:

madncrzydm
02-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Very nice.

I've been wanting to do a camo paint on my PA for awhile now.

Questions...

- What is the camo netting and where can one find it?
- Can you give a little more detail of how you used the netting in the process?

I bought some camouflage netting a while ago and had never used it so why not use it to paint and I can always spray paint it back to other "natural" colors later. Camo netting the size I have can get a little pricey but I would be more than willing to let some one use it of they had big job to paint. I basically sanded the old stuff down and painted a base coat of grey then let it dry for 5 hours or so then layed the netting over the kayak and sprayed it with all the colors (black, white, blue) in random places and on top of eachother and the holes in the camo netting make the pattern and its completly random then you just pull it off and blend the spots wirh blothes or by lightly Dusting it or with stripes. So many options. If you have any more questions you can pm me

blitzburgh
02-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Looks good!

DanaPT
02-14-2013, 05:42 PM
stealth. the fish will never see you coming. Looks good.

jaws197
02-14-2013, 06:07 PM
That is just plain SICK!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Bad to the bone man!

bus kid
02-14-2013, 07:00 PM
I bought some camouflage netting a while ago and had never used it so why not use it to paint and I can always spray paint it back to other "natural" colors later. Camo netting the size I have can get a little pricey

Yeah sure! you "bought" yours at the same s1 I "bought" mine from.:D

looks good but did you replace the cork yet.

madncrzydm
02-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Lol no didn't get tjis one from s1 haha thats the other one my good one. And no still haven't replaced the cork haha.

maui jim
02-15-2013, 06:00 AM
Nice to see another cobra tandem in the herd...:cool:

RobFish
02-15-2013, 06:12 AM
That looks very cool indeed.

ful-rac
02-15-2013, 07:08 AM
very nice job indeed! You just have to wear your blaze orange hunting vest, so the boats don't run your ass over! :eek:

madncrzydm
02-15-2013, 07:38 AM
I made a flag pole for itnforbmy light at night and it will soon have a kcco flag attached to it ill be visible just waiting for the bottom to dry so I can clear coat the thing. Had all the paint on the bottom like shrivel up when I tried to clear it last night. Never had that happen with clear coat before so im letting it dry the full 48 hours and will see what happens.

tagyak
02-15-2013, 10:53 AM
that looks real nice. much better job than the previous owners. now you can take this out to duck hunting too

Matar
02-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Show a close up of the paint job, it looks good,

KCCO

madncrzydm
02-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Its all done....finally

FlyFishinYakr
02-16-2013, 03:01 AM
That is just plain SICK!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Bad to the bone man!

What he said! Cool job!
Are you using a UV CLEAR COAT?
FFY.

madncrzydm
02-16-2013, 09:33 AM
No not using a uv clear coat but the pain a nd clear I used are a pain to work with.