PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Adventure anyone in???

dc1983
02-23-2013, 10:43 AM
So when I first started looking into kayak fishing, I had found a article where some guys had launched from Dana Point and fished to San Onefre State beach. I thought that sounded like a cool trip.

I'm looking at trying this and just curious if anyone else would be down. There are no dates or time as of yet just seeing if anyone else would be interested in doing this.

When I measures out the distance it comes out to approximately 9 miles or so. The idea would be to meet up at baby beach in the Dana point harbor and unload all kayaks and gear. Then shuttle several vehicle to the end point (San Onefre beach) leaving a someone to watch everyone's gear. Once everyone is back fish to the end point. Then have shuttle up to Dana point to pick up any Vehicles left there.

Just seeing if anyone would be interested. If there is enough interest we can look at dates that would work for all.

StinkyMatt
02-23-2013, 01:32 PM
This sounds like fun. Wind in your back...sweet. Maybe wait till it warms up and Wsb or YT possibilities may come up.

Iceman
02-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Dave, I will be there just to see you land your PA 12 at San O :D

This does sound like a fun leg to paddle and fish. I was part of the Aliso Beach to DP paddle and fish years ago

GregAndrew
02-23-2013, 03:06 PM
I would love to fish that stretch when the water warms up a bit. But it would be pretty tough to work out the logistics in that. You can't get in the gate to drop off the return vehicles until 6am. There is a decent chance if you do it on the weekend that you need to be there early in line to get in close to 6. So the guys dropping off their vehicles would have to have left their yaks at Dana pretty early. There is no re-entry so the return vehicles would have to pay twice. Everything but the wind works out better the other direction. Now, if you happen to know someone with a multikayak trailer that wants to go, that could be another story.

DanaPT
02-23-2013, 03:36 PM
multikayak trailer that wants to go

or a boat with multi kayak capabilities!

I'd be in:D

jorluivil
02-23-2013, 03:45 PM
This sounds like fun. Wind in your back...sweet. Maybe wait till it warms up and Wsb or YT possibilities may come up.

I would love to fish that stretch when the water warms up a bit. But it would be pretty tough to work out the logistics in that. You can't get in the gate to drop off the return vehicles until 6am. There is a decent chance if you do it on the weekend that you need to be there early in line to get in close to 6. So the guys dropping off their vehicles would have to have left their yaks at Dana pretty early. There is no re-entry so the return vehicles would have to pay twice. Everything but the wind works out better the other direction. Now, if you happen to know someone with a multikayak trailer that wants to go, that could be another story.

I would never allow Greg and Matt to fish without me, count me in. Hope its on a Sunday:D

ooh, btw. I know someone that can carry multiple kayaks

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af96/jorgelvillegas/BWE%20GANG%202011/LJBWEGang001-1.jpg?t=1318414349

madncrzydm
02-23-2013, 03:47 PM
I would be totally down to do this trip and if you go through from base there's no fee or times

dc1983
02-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Dave, I will be there just to see you land your PA 12 at San O :D

This does sound like a fun leg to paddle and fish. I was part of the Aliso Beach to DP paddle and fish years ago

Forgot about the surf landing. I guess I'll have to go practice a couple time before hand

madncrzydm I would be totally down to do this trip and if you go through from base there's no fee or time

Looking into renting a camping spot on the base maybe once a date is set.

Lots of interest:D when do the WSB stat to show up. Maybe mid April as a tentative time frame? To late/early??

BrokeLoser
02-23-2013, 06:51 PM
I'm in!

Raskal311
02-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Dont think I could do 9 miles :( maybe next year.

dc1983
02-23-2013, 08:04 PM
I think I might beable to do a group day event on the base side of San O beach which would give parking going to call and see what I need to do to make it happen on Monday. I'm going to plan for ten right now and see how it works out. May beable to add more spaces after the fact but going to plan it for 10 as of right now.

PAL
02-23-2013, 08:13 PM
We did this route years ago. Awful weather - go figure. That's about all I remember. Oh yeah, one of the crew lost a hatch cover and nearly sank in the rough conditions. If anyone else has a better memory of how we got it done, I hope they'll chime in. I loved every one of those PFA shuttle trips.

JarrodMc
02-23-2013, 09:18 PM
I've paddled from Torrey Pines to Ponto and that was about 13 i think. 9 miles? You got it

madncrzydm
02-23-2013, 09:27 PM
madncrzydm I would be totally down to do this trip and if you go through from base there's no fee or time

Looking into renting a camping spot on the base maybe once a date is set.

I live on base in Oceanside and its pretty difficult to get a camping spot there at san o and I learned the hard way I tried to do my 1st beach launch at san o. STEEP learning curve.

Amish Ed
02-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Landing at Churches (the surf break on base) would be hard in anything but the smallest conditions. I surf there a lot and the beach to the left of the surf break can get pretty sketchy in terms of kayak landing. You'd be better off figuring out a way to do San O.

MVC
02-24-2013, 01:39 PM
I have a truck with racks that will hold 4 kayaks. If we had a couple of other trucks, we could leave them at Sano and drive the kayaks back to dana point. I would be willing to give it a try. Need to find a weekend with small surf.

T-Rex
02-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Landing at Churches (the surf break on base) would be hard in anything but the smallest conditions. I surf there a lot and the beach to the left of the surf break can get pretty sketchy in terms of kayak landing. You'd be better off figuring out a way to do San O.

X2. Even on relatively small days the shore pound south of Churches can be thumpin. Sano would be a softer landing and shorter paddle.

dc1983
02-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Ok so with all the interest I can go fishing again on 10 March. This would be a test pretty much unless a lot can make this date and are will to give it a try. For the test I think if there are at least 3 willing to come out we can make it work. Perferable that one can transport 3 kayaks.

We would meet up at DP around 5 unload all kayaks and gear one will stay with gear the other two will go to San Onofre and stage one vehicle. Then come back to DP and launch fish to San O. Once back to San O if we have someone that can transport all 3 yaks back to DP we will do that otherwise. We will have to shuttle back and forth.

Biggameaddict
02-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Ok so with all the interest I can go fishing again on 10 March. This would be a test pretty much unless a lot can make this date and are will to give it a try. For the test I think if there are at least 3 willing to come out we can make it work. Perferable that one can transport 3 kayaks.

We would meet up at DP around 5 unload all kayaks and gear one will stay with gear the other two will go to San Onofre and stage one vehicle. Then come back to DP and launch fish to San O. Once back to San O if we have someone that can transport all 3 yaks back to DP we will do that otherwise. We will have to shuttle back and forth.
Then guy buy stuff at the fhs :D

PapaDave
02-25-2013, 07:52 AM
I might be interested in trying this. I just wonder how much fishing there would be in that time. Nine miles of coastline, all the different kelp and beach locations... It would be like trying to fish the southern tip of San Clemente Island from a kayak in one day. I might be late getting back in... :D

dc1983
02-25-2013, 10:25 AM
I might be interested in trying this. I just wonder how much fishing there would be in that time. Nine miles of coastline, all the different kelp and beach locations... It would be like trying to fish the southern tip of San Clemente Island from a kayak in one day. I might be late getting back in... :D

I agree this will definitely be a all day trip. I'm thinking it will be around 7 am launch and get down to San O around 4 or 5. I'm looking to to the test to also see if this is something that might need to be done more towards the summer with a later sunset time

madncrzydm
02-25-2013, 10:46 AM
seeing as i paddle and not peddle it would deff be a trip for me but hey im always up for an adventure Im down for the test. Just let me know when. I would just have the wife drop me off at Dana then have her come pick me up at San o wish i could carry more than one kayak.

dc1983
02-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Come on someone wants to do this on the 10th. If not I will be launching from San Onofre (base side) and fishing the kelp just north of the state beach. Stopped there this morning there is a section where the waves don't break so easy launch.

Amish Ed when you were surfing did you ever see the group of Marines pting on the beach usual on Friday. That was last year though

DanaPT
02-26-2013, 07:07 PM
can you get me onto the base?

jruiz
02-26-2013, 07:27 PM
I'd be down closer to summer time

madncrzydm
02-26-2013, 09:06 PM
can you get me onto the base?

Just tell them your going to go surfing and they will let you on as long as your drivers licen. InInsurance and registration is good and if not I can I live down on base by oside though

PapaDave
02-27-2013, 08:46 AM
I agree this will definitely be a all day trip. I'm thinking it will be around 7 am launch and get down to San O around 4 or 5. I'm looking to to the test to also see if this is something that might need to be done more towards the summer with a later sunset time

That might be a good idea since the time will change up one hour and the sun sets after 8pm then. That gives us time to really fish some spots and take it easy on the way down.

I have a pickup and can carry two kayaks, I also have an Outback fully rigged up if anyone wants to use it for the trip.

I can't do the 10th, how about the 17th?

cabojohn
02-27-2013, 02:17 PM
We did this route years ago. Awful weather - go figure. That's about all I remember. Oh yeah, one of the crew lost a hatch cover and nearly sank in the rough conditions. If anyone else has a better memory of how we got it done, I hope they'll chime in. I loved every one of those PFA shuttle trips.

Good times PAL. Memory Lane...My Brother Loco Pescadores.
Eagle Eye almost sinking, Bing saying F' this and turning around at San Clemente...
Both times we did Dana Point to San'O were BRUTAL. :eek:
Windy, sloppy and nasty...about 12+ miles
Fantastic BBQ @ San'O when we all got there.
btw- the VERY best cerveza I ever had on the water...TWO of your Tecate's!!:notworthy:

I'd do another Dana to San'O Paddle~N~Fish fer sure!

*It worked well for us. Everyone meets up at Doheny EARLY, unloads kayaks & gear, caravan / drive cars to San'O. Carpool back to Doho...THE FUN BEGINS.

Kahouna
02-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Couple additions. They might have Beach Club shut down when/if they start construction at the entrance to the beach. You will only be able to access through the state beach side. Saying you are there to surf without a sponser can result in some interesting comments and a u-turn. You might want to meet at the gate before heading down.

I've launched down there a few times and have the best luck by the blue crappers where the rocks are exposed on a low tide. I recommend a two foot swell or some brass clankers.

madncrzydm
02-27-2013, 04:11 PM
if im not mistaken were launching out of DP and just landing at San O. Ive launched at san o before with 4-5 swells and got destroyed 3x lost a rod and gear then gave up but like i said I am down and boy will my ars be tired after that day....

dc1983
02-28-2013, 05:26 PM
I am in the middle of looking to buy a house and was told today by the boss there is to be no all day fishing trips. So this will have to be put on hold till she finds the house she loves. Lets hope for my sake its sooner than later

Mr hooks
02-28-2013, 08:28 PM
I might be interested pm me details. Live in north OC. Also might be Able to help out with Transpertation. Just for thought. Rich. :reeling:

madncrzydm
03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
I would be down tonrent a trailer to help out carry 5 or 6 yaks

FLORIDA BOY!
03-02-2013, 05:51 PM
How about kings harbor to cabrillo beach and fish the better (and open) areas. I think its 12 miles. Cabrillo beach is usually a soft landing.

Matar
03-02-2013, 05:57 PM
If the dates work I am good for either a steak bed truck or a 22' car trailer.