PDA

View Full Version : Old School fishing tips /advice

Irishman
03-02-2013, 11:39 PM
My Grandfather taught me this...over thirty years ago....when you first get a new fishing rod...grab clear coat nail varnish and paint the top and bottom of where the eyes meet the rod. It was from when he made his own fly rods and it sealed the wrap. I have done it ever since the and it prolongs the life of a rod, plus adding strength. Bet it would be sage advice for kayak fisherfolk.

MITCHELL
03-03-2013, 03:29 AM
Can you strip it off to retie new guides when there worn out I just retied all my rods that were worn out

tacmik
03-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Can you strip it off to retie new eyes when they ware out I just retied all my rods that were worn out

It's finger nail polish. Use nail polish remover or take the rods to the manicurist.

Fiskadoro
03-03-2013, 11:51 AM
My Grandfather taught me this...over thirty years ago....when you first get a new fishing rod...grab clear coat nail varnish and paint the top and bottom of where the eyes meet the rod. It was from when he made his own fly rods and it sealed the wrap. I have done it ever since the and it prolongs the life of a rod, plus adding strength. Bet it would be sage advice for kayak fisherfolk.

Thirty+ years ago most rods were single wrap with a minimal coat of varnish over the wraps. This type of coating was particularly susceptible to cracking especially at the top and bottom of the wrap.

Rod wrapping supplies were also harder to find then today. For instance when I started wrapping my rods my only source for wrapping epoxy was in Port Aransas hundreds of miles from my home.

Since fingernail polish was widely available guys would often paint fingernail polish over flaws or cracks in the varnish over the wraps.

Some guys became like fingernail polish experts. They'd paint it over the whole of the wraps while turning the rod to get a smooth finish, remove it when it started to crack with finger polish remover then re-coat it periodically to keep there rods looking "good".

It's all relative. The Technology has advanced. Wrap epoxy is easy to find now, the finish you can get with epoxy looks better and is also far superior then anything you can get with fingernail polish.