PDA

View Full Version : Fred Hall Show

ful-rac
03-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Just got back from the fred hall show, and it was fun! Really light crowd and easy parking, thats the advantage of going wednesday. Got to BS with iceman for awhile, and a couple potential new kayak fisherman. Even hung out with charles for a bit, remember to get yourself a shirt or two when you get there...awsome designs.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/pksbshp/5345135D-1436-4C53-9CF6-2DC36D860D09-5438-000005258C1FB0F0_zps9e01eba3.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/pksbshp/498CE409-01E5-4D8C-B6F4-E2B2069EE256-5438-0000052597BB6D44_zps84302d10.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/pksbshp/1894C4ED-2913-4D47-8BF2-6DB5C4C7545B-5438-00000525A800045B_zpseb3cc65f.jpg

food4less562
03-06-2013, 11:36 PM
What were the special pricing for fhs hobie kayaks?

Jimmyz123
03-07-2013, 04:40 AM
Opening night of the Fred Hall Show is always the best in terms of light crowds. I love going on opening night, but I also love going on the last day of the show because a lot of the vendors like to drop the prices so they don't have to take much back to there shops. I know many have said there are not a lot of great deals anymore, but that's not correct. Take your time, search them out, and the deals will be there.

tattuna
03-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Good seein ya Tony and thanks for the support!

I hear people say there aren't deals anymore and I have no idea how they can say that. There's deals everywhere! Nobody's givin stuff away but you have to remember they paid a lot of money to be there in the first place. That being said, everyone is there to sell and we all know everyone is looking for a deal so nearly everyone is offering some kind of discount.

This show is an absolute blast! I think I first went in 1986 and I still look forward to it every year.

It was great seeing everyone yesterday and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in the next few days and geeking out on fishing. More good times ahead!

Jimmyz123
03-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Good seein ya Tony and thanks for the support!

I hear people say there aren't deals anymore and I have no idea how they can say that. There's deals everywhere! Nobody's givin stuff away but you have to remember they paid a lot of money to be there in the first place. That being said, everyone is there to sell and we all know everyone is looking for a deal so nearly everyone is offering some kind of discount.

This show is an absolute blast! I think I first went in 1986 and I still look forward to it every year.

It was great seeing everyone yesterday and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in the next few days and geeking out on fishing. More good times ahead!

I have yet to experience the LB show, which I will do next year, but I love the Del Mar version. I get to see people I know, and meet new people, and I always go with a plan of what I am looking for and if I don't walk out with it, then I'm O.K. with that. I love watching my son try to catch a fish and then seeing his joy when he does and he tells everyone about it. If you go there looking for free stuff you will find it, but it really may not be what you're looking for. Sure it's expensive to drive and park, but that's part of it. Go and enjoy the fact that you get to pick the brains of some of the best in the fishing world.

wade
03-07-2013, 08:50 AM
I had a blast in Long Beach yesterday. Plenty of deals & goodies all around.
Stop by the DFG booth and get a free retractable cloth tape measure for those quick releases..
Seaguar is running some sweet specials too.
Stop by the Z-Man booth where they are running a nice deal buy 3 bags get one free!
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/635/zz.jpg

The next time you see this amazing piece of artwork (print), it will be hanging up in the master bedroom at my fishing lodge in Florida.
Thanks again for your incredible works Charles Belñavis!
Stop by the Kelp Clothing booth @ Fred Hall in Long Beach this week and check him out!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/635/charles.jpg

Cbad Mike
03-07-2013, 11:01 AM
I had a great time and got a LOT of good info on whats out there yesterday. As for deals.... it all depends on your budget. I found lead sinkers priced about half of what I usaually pay and Turner's was selling Penn 535s for $65. Remember that it is $10 to park and $15 to get in and you may have to finance something to eat and drink.

TUF Line has a couple of products that were interesting, one being their braided metal leader.

There is an artist there (forgot his name) who paints beautiful water colors of fish. Even if your not in the market for art check out his work.

The seminars are ok and give you a chance to sit down. Tommy Gomes does a good one regarding preparing your catch plus he's a crack up.

OEX has a set up thats definately bigger than I thought it would be. Stop and say hi to Andy.

If you really want to talk kayak fishing then stop by Jim Sammons booth. Both entertaining and informative. I spent a while hanging out and talking to him and the best part is that he isnt trying to sell you anything so you can just bullshit about the sport.

Probably the best thing I saw all day was while I was out at the pond where the reel demos are and you can cast some of the more popular models.
There was a kid about 12 years old who was being a real dick to a guy I figure was his grandfather. The kid was acting like a spoiled bratt. He kept bugging a guy by asking if he was done with the rod he was demoing because he wanted to try it. The boys grandfather told him to stop and that the rod was wayto big for him and the brat actually told his grandfather that he doesnt know anything and to leave him alone. Everyone heard it and the grandfather was pissed. When the brat finally did try to cast the rod he ended up falling face first into the 2 foot water because the rod was to heavy for him. He did a complete belly flop and went completely under the water. He was really embarassed and started screaming for for his grandfather to help. The grandfather just stood there smiling and everyone around started laughing at the brat. He started to cry while he was getting out of the water and told his grandfather that he wanted to go home. The grandfather said "We just got here and since you didnt listen to me you now get to walk through the show wet, we will leave when your dry".
I did see the soaking wet brat back inside walking around. It was pretty funny.
Grandfather 1, Brat 0

ful-rac
03-07-2013, 11:46 AM
I finally bought one of those rockfish decenders...I tried experimenting with making my own..but it was more trouble than it was worth. I first saw the "roklees" decender last year at the show, so this year I decided to buy one and try it out... If you guys are going to the show check it out they have thier own booth. Can't say if it's any good at the moment, cause I haven't tried it yet... but from what I've heard they seem to work pretty well.

$25 + tax...little pricey but to save rockfish that would otherwise be wasted....worth it to me. Check'em out

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/pksbshp/1F299548-F970-4CB4-917F-413CDEE42F69-5714-00000538D29D6F5C_zps1f92f6f2.jpg

Biggameaddict
03-07-2013, 01:35 PM
The show was great but i couldnt find the kelp clothing booth where were you at? Alot of nice people working the booths everyone was helpful and nice. I might have to take a second trip to get what i didnt yesterday.

tattuna
03-08-2013, 06:54 AM
The show was great but i couldnt find the kelp clothing booth where were you at? Alot of nice people working the booths everyone was helpful and nice. I might have to take a second trip to get what i didnt yesterday.

We're easy to find. Right next to the restrooms and concession stands. Booth #9055. Sorry I missed ya.

RobFish
03-08-2013, 07:06 AM
I'll be buying one of those rockfish releasers at the Del Mar show for sure.
Normally those things are twice that price, and I too don't like to see a rockfish just float. Do you recall who was selling them? Will it be obvious to see them when I walk by their booth or was that one of a hundred products being sold?
Thanks for the lead on that.

ful-rac
03-08-2013, 10:12 AM
I'll be buying one of those rockfish releasers at the Del Mar show for sure.
Normally those things are twice that price, and I too don't like to see a rockfish just float. Do you recall who was selling them? Will it be obvious to see them when I walk by their booth or was that one of a hundred products being sold?
Thanks for the lead on that.

Yeah Rob pretty obvious, that's all they were selling. Hopefully they'll be at the del mar show.

RobFish
03-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the info Tony. Hopefully they'll be at DM. Enjoy the weekend.

Biggameaddict
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
We're easy to find. Right next to the restrooms and concession stands. Booth #9055. Sorry I missed ya.

Man if i had seen your booth then i wouldve bought a couple shirts. I think i need another trip.

Sdspeed
03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Man if i had seen your booth then i wouldve bought a couple shirts. I think i need another trip.

Well there's your reason to go to the Del Mar Show on the 21st:D

tattuna
03-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Well there's your reason to go to the Del Mar Show on the 21st:D

I won't be at Del Mar, but I will be at Day atthe Docks. Inventory is getting depleted fast at the show but everything will be restocked by the end of the month.

finyak
03-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Dosen't look like I'll make the LB show but I'am glad your gonna be at Day at the docks:luxhello:.

Frank

Sdspeed
03-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I won't be at Del Mar, but I will be at Day atthe Docks. Inventory is getting depleted fast at the show but everything will be restocked by the end of the month.

I'll look for ya at the Docks, sound's like things are going well if your not totting inventory home, excellent !:luxhello: