PDA

View Full Version : example of a low attack angle paddle?

Sdspeed
03-08-2013, 02:38 PM
how do you tell the difference between a low angle and high?
Would a low attack angel be easier on old shoulders?

tacmik
03-08-2013, 06:33 PM
I like to vary and change up my paddle style while I am out there. Using both a high and low angle. My theory is not to keep using the same muscles all the time to help avoid injury. Don't know if that actually works, but I haven't had any problems yet. Just my .02's worth.

MrM
03-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Here's a great link... Werner (http://www.wernerpaddles.com/paddles/design/)

There's some good pictures there. I'm a low angle paddler myself. If i'm really trying to go fast, my style goes to high angle. But 90% of the time, I'm cruising and enjoying the low angle.

As for being easier on the shoulders, I want to say low angle is probably a little easier. As I sit here (and look like an idiot) and pretend to paddle my invisible kayak, I feel like my shoulders don't rotate as much with the low angle.

If you have shoulder issues, grab a mirage drive kayak. Just my opinion.

Sdspeed
03-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the website! Mirage would be nice but budget doesn't allow it right now plus I'm still in the mindset that if I learn proper technique and use the correct paddle I may just improve my overall health.
If I don't get stupid about it, ya can't fix stupid.:D

MrM
03-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the website! Mirage would be nice but budget doesn't allow it right now plus I'm still in the mindset that if I learn proper technique and use the correct paddle I may just improve my overall health.
If I don't get stupid about it, ya can't fix stupid.:D

Hey there, tater salad. You just might be on to something! :luxhello: I had bum shoulders, still kind of do, but paddling helped them a bit for sure. On the flip side, I've seen a few people turn around and upgrade to a hobie pretty quickly because they couldn't get past the shoulder pain though. That was the reasoning behind my advice.

From a fishing standpoint, I wish I had a mirage drive kayak. Just too expensive for me as well!!!

taggermike
03-09-2013, 10:56 AM
High and low angle paddle strokes both have thier place on the water. Most of the time I prefer a low angle for cruising or slow trolling. Its easier on my arms, back, and shoulders. The place I go to high angle is for sprint paddling after fish or through the surf. A high angle stroke keeps the blade closer to the side of the kayak causing less side to side tracking. This stroke can help wider/shorter kayaks stay on course. Longer boats track better and a low angle stroke works fine. Someof the Inuet or Greenland paddling styles use very low angles and more torso rotation to move the paddle through the water. this works well on long thin kayaks. Mike