PDA

View Full Version : shimp as bait

Ggiannig89
03-19-2013, 08:03 PM
So last time i was out fishing la jolla there seemed to be a ton of bait between macs, krill, and shrimp ( in fishes mouth / belly). It was a pretty slow day of catching with small bites and mostly small fish but in one of the fish I caught I managed to pull out a pretty much whole shrimp out of its mouth and used the shrimp as bait to catch 2 of the bigger fish of the day. So my question would be do any of you guys ever use fresh dead shrimp as bait? If so where do you get it? Or better yet does anybody ever use live shrimp as bait? If so where do u get that?

Fiskadoro
03-19-2013, 08:25 PM
......does anybody ever use live shrimp as bait? If so where do u get that?

I rarely bother to use shrimp but it is killer sheephead bait, and almost anything that lives in the kelp will eat them.

In Texas we always were fishing live shrimp for Specks and Small reds, but other then ghost shrimp I don't know of anyone who uses live shrimp out here. Everyone I know (hardcore sheephead guys) uses fresh dead and the get them at Asian markets

sammysamsam
03-20-2013, 10:49 AM
shrimp actually works great for sheeps, calico, sand bass, and scorpion fish. I kill all of them in dana point with dead shrimp from market.

kareem korn
03-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Common garden snails work better for sheephead.

Ggiannig89
03-20-2013, 12:12 PM

Wow garden snails huh? Ill have to give them a shot. Thanks for the anwers guys.

Raskal311
03-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Is there a particular type of shrimp that works well for sheaphead, and should it be used as a whole?

<O:p</O:p
Shell on or off?<O:p</O:p

tacklebox
03-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Is there a particular type of shrimp that works well for sheaphead, and should it be used as a whole?

<O:p</O:p
Shell on or off?<O:p</O:p

Yea on or off? Thats a good tip on a new bait I have never tried.

FishNinjaY
03-20-2013, 02:01 PM
shrimp actually works great for sheeps, calico, sand bass, and scorpion fish. I kill all of them in dana point with dead shrimp from market.

How are you rigging the shrimp? Simple carolina rig? I'm probably going to hit DP this Sunday morning with my son, and I'd like to get him back on the fish.. :reeling: as our last few outings on the float tube have been skunks. I'll try to pick up some shrimp from the grocery store, and I already have some (old) leftover squid!

THanks..
-J

kareem korn
03-20-2013, 03:03 PM
I leave the shell on. Do not let them touch salt water until on the hook and dropping down. You can guess why.

The snail and fizz attract the goats.

Shrimp and fresh squid strips are my close seconds.
Shrimp= fresh the kind you would eat.
Squid= fresh dead or fresh dead frozen. Edible squid are processed and bleached. Bait squid are not fresh dead. They have already started to rot prior to packaging and freezing. This bait attracts rays, sharks, junk fish.

Honcho
03-20-2013, 04:44 PM
How are you rigging the shrimp? Simple carolina rig? I'm probably going to hit DP this Sunday morning with my son, and I'd like to get him back on the fish.. :reeling: as our last few outings on the float tube have been skunks. I'll try to pick up some shrimp from the grocery store, and I already have some (old) leftover squid!

THanks..
-J

when we have time, we pump ghost shrimp and pretty much caught what you can with a swim bait...we had a halibut as well, but it was a short...can't go wrong with Ghost shrimp. rig it like a C-rig with a thin hook, I'll bring some on Friday (hooks)..

FishNinjaY
03-20-2013, 06:48 PM
I'll bring some on Friday (hooks)..

cool.. I can buy some ghosties also, but figured we might also hit the bait barge for some anchovies? (if you bring your livewell)...

BY THE WAY...
Friday is a clandestine op (certain people think I might be working) .. control your woman and no FB posts/pics.. loose lips sink ships (kayaks). I'm off next week, and hope to fish a lot, and I don't want any, ".. didn't you just fish last friday with Honcho?.." from the wifey.

I'm hitting DP again on Sunday morning with Raskal311, around 630-1030am, (before church) .. in case you can join us for Round 2. :boxing_smiley:

Honcho
03-21-2013, 06:37 AM
cool.. I can buy some ghosties also, but figured we might also hit the bait barge for some anchovies? (if you bring your livewell)...

BY THE WAY...
Friday is a clandestine op (certain people think I might be working) .. control your woman and no FB posts/pics.. loose lips sink ships (kayaks). I'm off next week, and hope to fish a lot, and I don't want any, ".. didn't you just fish last friday with Honcho?.." from the wifey.

I'm hitting DP again on Sunday morning with Raskal311, around 630-1030am, (before church) .. in case you can join us for Round 2. :boxing_smiley:

Haha I like it...You know your wife will sniff this out, you suck at lying...see you tomorrow. :leaving::toetap05:

Raskal311
03-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Ohhh I think I just found a solution to my snail problem… The bastards has been taking out my cucumbers, Dell peppers, and tomatoes the last few years.

sammysamsam
03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
i fish shrimp in pieces slightly off the bottom with a dropper loop. Never tried c rig.

Bigfishhunter96
03-21-2013, 05:03 PM
If you are going to use shrimp, make sure they are precooked or you cook them because they will stay on the hook better.

Raskal311
03-21-2013, 05:14 PM
If you are going to use shrimp, make sure they are precooked or you cook them because they will stay on the hook better.

I've never had a problem with them falling off.