PDA

View Full Version : fish finder connection corrosion

Ggiannig89
04-11-2013, 10:00 AM
The power cable to my garmin 300 fish finder corroded away and I no longer am able to use my fish finder until my new one arrives. How do you guys keep your connections from corroding away? Mine corroded away really fast even when rinsed with fresh water. Now my transducer cable is getting eating up pretty bad.

Dannowar
04-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Contact cleaner and dielectric grease

jruiz
04-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Dielectric grease is your friend.

ful-rac
04-11-2013, 11:22 AM
I suggest you should follow these guidelines, they should mitigate your corrosion problem.

1. Make sure connection is clean and dry, use dielectric grease don't over due it.
2. Always connect fishfinder first.
3. Connect battery
4. Disconnect battery.
5. Disconnect plug/s from fishfinder.

Don't ever let your connections come in contact with seawater with the battery connected! If you do rinse it immediately with fresh water.

jorluivil
04-11-2013, 11:39 AM
I suggest you should follow these guidelines, they should mitigate your corrosion problem.

1. Make sure connection is clean and dry, use dielectric grease don't over due it.
2. Always connect fishfinder first.
3. Connect battery
4. Disconnect battery.
5. Disconnect plug/s from fishfinder.

Don't ever let your connections come in contact with seawater with the battery connected! If you do rinse it immediately with fresh water.

All of the above along with a protection plan :D

Baja_Traveler
04-11-2013, 11:40 AM
I use a small art brush to get the dielectric grease into the pins and sockets in a nice thin coat. That way all surfaces are coated without over-doing it. The stuff is expensive for how little you get, but you actually hardly use any to get the job done.
If the surf looks iffy coming back in, I do pull the finder outside the surf line and put it under the hatch - that leaves the connectors on deck open to get wet if I yard sale - but the expensive finder is safe. I have a container of fresh water in the truck to rinse them down when I load up. I just have pictures in my mind of the kayak getting washed onto the beach upside down, grinding the finder into the sand the whole way in... The worst that can happen is the connection shorts in the surf and the fuse blows protecting the battery - I't hasn't happened yet, but I carry spares of those as well.

Oh - and I also sprung for the protection plan as well ;)

mattlovefishing
04-11-2013, 06:01 PM
You must alway keep it clean and dry after using it.

FlyFishinYakr
04-11-2013, 06:52 PM
The power cable to my garmin 300 fish finder corroded away and I no longer am able to use my fish finder until my new one arrives. How do you guys keep your connections from corroding away? Mine corroded away really fast even when rinsed with fresh water. Now my transducer cable is getting eating up pretty bad.

I bought 3-16oz. Spray bottles of Corrosion X to spray on before every launch, 1 bottle I'm keeping in my Kayak accessory tote box with all the accessories I have to mount before launching (I.e. rod extenders, fishfinder, seat RAM & Scotty rod holders, dry bags etc.). I also have a bottle of Fluid film and "Break Free" to apply after rinse down. :)
FFY.