PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Hoop net.

echo1er
07-02-2013, 09:49 PM
no any type of hoop net. But one with small mesh holes. To catch bait fish.

Raskal311
07-03-2013, 06:32 AM
no any type of hoop net. But one with small mesh holes. To catch bait fish.

Those things are only like $12 at Turners.

captnblood34
07-03-2013, 09:48 AM
x2

echo1er
07-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Thank you very much.

echo1er
07-03-2013, 05:29 PM
San Marcos didnt have um. Man I really want this net!

kiyo21
07-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Talk to tin slay, the guy who makes gaffs he also makes custom nets of all sorts and sizes for ever different application.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=17671

maui jim
07-04-2013, 05:15 AM
Jig Stop in Dana Point use to sell them, I have 2 for netting smelt oFf the docks, give them a call, or you can by the bait netting online and buy a metal hoop from a craft store and zip tie to the hoop.
I changed the net a couple of times, mono netting can tear easily at times

vincentek9
07-04-2013, 08:55 AM
do you mean an umbrella net? or a cast net?

kiyo21
07-04-2013, 09:14 AM
do you mean an umbrella net? or a cast net?

Good question x2

bus kid
07-04-2013, 10:41 AM
28.80. DIP NETS AND HAWAIIAN TYPE THROW NETS. Dip nets of any size and baited hoop nets
not greater than 36 inches in diameter may be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shiner
surfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid. Hawaiian type throw nets may be used
north of Point Conception to take such species.
28.85. BEACH NETS. Beach nets not over 20 feet in length with meshes at least 7/8 of an inch in
length may be used to take surf smelt north of Point Conception

echo1er
07-04-2013, 03:27 PM
read that. looking for a hoop net not a deep net. something like a bait motel

maui jim
07-05-2013, 11:04 AM
NO Umbrella!! or throw, Hoop 36" with mono fish netting works much betta than a umbrella

roadx
07-06-2013, 07:22 AM
cheap DIY NET for smelt

this is what i do at the bay to catch smelt. get a bag that oranges come in. then get some bailing wire, you will also need zip-ties, a small float(styro foam works) and a 1/2oz weight.

assembly of the items

run the bailing wire around the opening of the orange bag to keep it open and zip tie it on round different spots. (small tubing used for drip sprinkler systems work too and no rust)
zip tie the weight on into opening ring (this is the bottom of your net)
zip tie the float to the opposite side. top side. and tie your fishing line to the top.
now if you assembled your DIY net right it should float with the mouth of the bag open.

use

get some bread and feed the smelt,( if your around docks or rocks, it wont take long for the smelt to find you)
cast just past the bread or feeding zone (they will scatter but they will resume feeding quickly)
when they are feeding around the net simply reel in fast and trap them in the net, dont stop reeling until they are landed.

works ok and is compact and cheap, also fun "fishing" for them

echo1er
07-06-2013, 12:13 PM
cheap DIY NET for smelt

this is what i do at the bay to catch smelt. get a bag that oranges come in. then get some bailing wire, you will also need zip-ties, a small float(styro foam works) and a 1/2oz weight.

assembly of the items

run the bailing wire around the opening of the orange bag to keep it open and zip tie it on round different spots. (small tubing used for drip sprinkler systems work too and no rust)
zip tie the weight on into opening ring (this is the bottom of your net)
zip tie the float to the opposite side. top side. and tie your fishing line to the top.
now if you assembled your DIY net right it should float with the mouth of the bag open.

use

get some bread and feed the smelt,( if your around docks or rocks, it wont take long for the smelt to find you)
cast just past the bread or feeding zone (they will scatter but they will resume feeding quickly)
when they are feeding around the net simply reel in fast and trap them in the net, dont stop reeling until they are landed.

works ok and is compact and cheap, also fun "fishing" for them

I saw this used yesterday at Carlsbad. Awesome idea thanks for the info.:you_rock: