PDA

View Full Version : HB harbor?

t-$money bussard
07-11-2013, 03:17 PM
does anyone have any history/knowledge of that harbor? i plan on going next weekend. any reccomendationss ive been viewing the goolge photos and it seems good always have lived down the street from it but always went to newport instead, now that the MLPA's have destroyed alot of my spots for me ive been looking into huntington i mainly fish spottys is there any eel grass? and can you launch next to OEX sunset beach? orr any other launch spots that arent the boat launch there would be helpful thanks guys

bus kid
07-11-2013, 07:28 PM
does anyone have any history/knowledge of that harbor? i plan on going next weekend. any reccomendationss ive been viewing the goolge photos and it seems good always have lived down the street from it but always went to newport instead, now that the MLPA's have destroyed alot of my spots for me ive been looking into huntington i mainly fish spottys is there any eel grass? and can you launch next to OEX sunset beach? orr any other launch spots that arent the boat launch there would be helpful thanks guys

lots of eel grass fish the north end and around the fuel dock. 3/8 lead heads with zoom white flukes, luckycrafts, and reebs blades have been working pretty good lately. launch from sea bridge park, unless you want to see all the paddle board girls.

FishNinjaY
07-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I'd launch at Seabridge park, off the sand side. On the other side of the parking lot, there's a muddy slope, which I'd avoid. Lots of eel grass, and on your way out, there's a ripping current... but shouldn't be an issue with a kayak. I used to float tube fish here, and that current was a brutal treadmill. I seemed to have some better luck with the weedless Owner sled heads. Plenty of parking usually at Seabridge.. unlike OEX-SB. Look forward to your report!

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Y08ExvDSLu0?hd=1" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

jruiz
07-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Weird way to use a net

alanw
07-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Weird way to use a net

I thought it, then you said it ;)

t-$money bussard
07-11-2013, 09:13 PM
thanks guys will now have to figure out where seabridge park is at. and if anyone wants to come along youre more than welcome to. ill post what day im going nxt weekend most likely going to be saturday around 7 am. ill keep everyone posted on this thread.

FishNinjaY
07-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Weird way to use a net
I thought it, then you said it ;)

well, I'm just a noob.. :farmer:
but I'm always eager to learn from a master .. what was wrong with using a net? :bigear:

FishNinjaY
07-11-2013, 09:19 PM
thanks guys will now have to figure out where seabridge park is at. and if anyone wants to come along youre more than welcome to. ill post what day im going nxt weekend most likely going to be saturday around 7 am. ill keep everyone posted on this thread.

Pretty easy.. search Google Maps "Sea Bridge Park, Huntington Harbor, CA" or just get to Edinger and Bolsa Chica, and you'll be close. Take Edinger, and right before the small bridge, turn left. I don't recall the street name, but if you go over a bridge and water, you've just passed it. The street ends at the Sea Bridge Park parking lot. The side that has the bathrooms is the sandy launch area. Have fun.. I don't know my schedule that Saturday, but I'll keep an eye on this thread. :cool:

FishNinjaY
07-11-2013, 09:30 PM
hey money, got your PM..
I'll let you know about that Saturday. I might be in dance recital purgatory.. but if I'm free, I'd love to join you.

Here's a pic.. the yellow lines are pretty obvious.. that area of current you were asking about are the light green lines. But, like I said, it shouldn't be an issue in a kayak, but enough to notice the effort! :paddleersmilie:

kobra
07-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Can you launch from the boat ramp?

alanw
07-11-2013, 10:12 PM
well, I'm just a noob.. :farmer:
but I'm always eager to learn from a master .. what was wrong with using a net? :bigear:

Nothing wrong with using a net... it's just that the net usually goes in the water and the fish is led into it, making for a nice C&R without harming the fish, or to land a fish too heavy to lift out. I've never used one to catch flying fish :)

bus kid
07-12-2013, 04:41 AM
Can you launch from the boat ramp?

Yes but you pay the parking fee. You coming up?

FishNinjaY
07-12-2013, 06:07 AM
Nothing wrong with using a net... it's just that the net usually goes in the water and the fish is led into it, making for a nice C&R without harming the fish, or to land a fish too heavy to lift out. I've never used one to catch flying fish :)

makes sense.. I used to just haul the fish up onto my my landing skirt. Someone told me to get one of these sof-nets by Frabill that are less traumatic than the mesh landing skirt. Plus, I used to have a habit of overwinding :reel: and leaving my line too short.. making the "flying fish" lol.. :rolleyes:

bus kid
07-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Night session tomorrow night(7-13-13) launching at 5:00pm sea bridge park.

kobra
07-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Yes but you pay the parking fee. You coming up?

Just wondering about the launch ramp. I've always launched from the beach. I need to get my but up there soon for one of those Team Sewer adventures.

t-$money bussard
07-15-2013, 08:23 PM
i wanted to find other places besides a launch ramp its 12 bucks to launch at hb harbor let alone its 20 somthing at newport. to me thats tackle money and besides i dont have a boat or trailer its a yak i should get to launch free all the guys down in mission bay have it wayyyy too easy.....

bus kid
07-16-2013, 04:36 AM
i wanted to find other places besides a launch ramp its 12 bucks to launch at hb harbor let alone its 20 somthing at newport. to me thats tackle money and besides i dont have a boat or trailer its a yak i should get to launch free all the guys down in mission bay have it wayyyy too easy.....

Why are you paying to launch at HB? Seabridge park has plenty free parking.
for newport launch at the coast guard station , kid beach or some of the numerious spots listed on this forum.

CheapPelican
07-16-2013, 05:41 AM
^ Are there any restrictions on parking or landing at seabridge park late at night/early morning?

bus kid
07-16-2013, 06:17 AM
^ Are there any restrictions on parking or landing at seabridge park late at night/early morning?

I usually park in the triangle shaped lot across the street, (unless we are meeting for a BBW) I know for sure no trailers, but I have been there as early as 3:00am, I and stayed until midnight last Sat. night and my truck was still there with no ticket. :luxhello:

t-$money bussard
07-18-2013, 09:47 PM
ive paid to launch there because i have friends with boats and they have to pay to launch so i know the fees for the launches at both harbors.

anyways heading out sunday morning 7-730time frame let me know if anyone wants to meetup ill be out all day.

FishNinjaY
07-19-2013, 10:35 AM
I might be able to join you.. it's actually be my first time in the kayak. I've float tubed the docks for bass a lot, but not sure what other critters to hunt farther out by the buoy line? I have to get back in early to make it to church, so we'd probably launch at greylight.. like 6am or maybe 630am. I'll let you know. Mobile phone should work, or I can bring my VHF.