PDA

View Full Version : SD bay evening session

todd one
07-26-2013, 04:10 PM
9820So yesterday evening I took a saltwater rookie out in the SD bay with me. My first objective was to break him in and see to it the he got his First legal Halibut, and boy did he get it. Seeing someone catch their fist big fish, and helping them do it was so gratifying. All in all, we both had a good day. We got two each in about four hours. The Halibut bite is still wide open in SD bay. I was trying to load photos, but it's not working.

Cadillyak
07-26-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm getting out there tomorrow morning. Game on

todd one
07-26-2013, 09:02 PM
That was my plan to get out there in the morning. I just got call to work tomorrow. I still may go for a couple hours.

StinkyMatt
07-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Two bad ass dudes. Laying the wood to the Halis.

Congrats on a great day.

The only bad part is that your rookie friend is ruined now. He is going to think that it's always like this.:D

easyday
07-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Nice catch

todd one
07-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys. It's a long story, but Looking at the picture, would you believe that fish got away. At least he got a picture instead of a fish story. I should have stayed by his side and saw that the fish got in the hatch. Oh well, I not a professional guide. You live and learn.

619-SWIM-DOG
07-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Please tell full story if you can, that how we learn from each other. Great catches.......

DanaPT
07-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks guys. It's a long story, but Looking at the picture, would you believe that fish got away. At least he got a picture instead of a fish story. I should have stayed by his side and saw that the fish got in the hatch. Oh well, I not a professional guide. You live and learn.

oh, the stories of caught and lost hali's. . . the beat goes on. Let me see....

gaff...
reel in free spool...
game clip...
beat their brains in...
bleed...
THEN photograph & celebrate

Amish Ed
07-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Way to get your friend on the fish, and get a couple yourself.

Amish Ed
07-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Way to get your friend on the fish, and get a couple yourself.

todd one
07-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Ok, after I realized he was definitely hook up I coached him through. He got the fish up to the surface twice and the fish went on a run twice. I move in and butted my kayak up against his and handed him the gaff. I told him when he get back up to the surface get the gaff under him and let him have it. He did that beautifully. The fish is on the yak and I give him my pliers. With the gaff still in he removes the hook. As he's removing it, I tell him to keep his legs on the fish just in case he starts flopping. The hooks is out, I figured he's got it from here, so I back off to take pictures before he put it in the hatch. How the fish got of the gaff, I don't know, but he's flopping violently. It sounded like someone beating on a bongo drum. I'm Yelling, hold him down with your legs, put some weight on him. Then the fish slipped through his legs, in the air, off the boat, and into the water. The fish was gone. See Ya! I think I'm going to invest in a couple of game clips. I've struggled holding those slippery thing down myself. Like I said, I should have stayed there and helped get it in the hatch.

makobob
07-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Still a great day, and there is always tomorrow.

todd one
07-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Definitely a good day. He was a good sport. I would have been pissed if I lost my first Hali.

todd one
07-29-2013, 04:06 AM
Thanks Alan. Shoot me a text if you want to go out.