PDA

View Full Version : superman saves the day!

theluckypig
08-03-2013, 06:33 PM
greg andrew is superman.

there are already many documented events that prove his amazing powers, this is just another...

my part of the story goes like this:

i was fishing with the boys last week, 8-10 of us on the water, suddenly one of the new guys flips. i'm close, so i paddle over to assist, but by the time i get there he has righted himself and all is well. well, i start to paddle back to my spot when i hear, splash-ker-plunk... i look over, my new gloomis rod and sealine are in the water! i quickly stab my paddle blade in to try and catch where my reel and rod meet... i miss... my rod, my reel, going... going... gone. i watch my rod sink on the fishfinder. i suddenly think to press "mark" on my gps and plan to bring my stuff back up! i rig up an iron and start trolling. i make a dozen passes... nothing... i resigned myself to the reality of the situation... i've just donated $350 to davey jones's locker... not my first donation, it will not my last... but damn it stung! add to that, i realized that i had lost my wallet in the restroom of 711 in the wee hours of the morning on my way to the spot... double ouch!

of course i did not tell my wife.

well a few days later, i'm texting with the boys, greg is mentioning the benefits of a sensitive rod tip when catching squid, and i chime in with my sulking, "i used to have a rod like that...". greg asks, if i marked the spot. i responded yes and he said, "give me the numbers and he'll take a look the next time i'm in the area..." ok... (he'll never find it... but thanks)

as i'm getting the numbers off my fishfinder, my wife asks, "what are you doing?" !!!think quick!!! "ah... i'm getting the coordinates of my last wsb... greg asked for them..." my wife knows greg... i get a look, i know she's thinking, 'that's BS, if anything, you'd be asking him for the numbers...' but she says nothing.

this morning i get a call from greg, "i have a gloomis rod and sealine reel, that "might" be yours..." superman did it! really! it is amazing! he is amazing!

my wife notices my excitement... now i have to confess about what had happened... she said, "i knew it", something wasn't right!"

well, greg has been extremely generous with me on many occasions (as with most that know him) none more that in this situation.

tech savvy,smarts, generosity, and tenacity... greg you are the "super" man!
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx117/theluckypig/IMG_0103_zps5a3ee870.jpg (http://s747.photobucket.com/user/theluckypig/media/IMG_0103_zps5a3ee870.jpg.html)
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx117/theluckypig/IMG_0105_zpsa9dc1f5a.jpg (http://s747.photobucket.com/user/theluckypig/media/IMG_0105_zpsa9dc1f5a.jpg.html)
(side note: i got my wallet back too... a good guy delivered it to my home...)

damn, i'm a lucky pig

TheBentRod
08-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Greg,

I for one will have your back if you need anything. This was a very unselfish act!

James, Thanks for sharing.

Drake
08-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Thats one of the best stories I have read, well done Greg!

Hobie-Pedaller
08-03-2013, 06:53 PM
just curious, HOW did he get it back ?

is he a scuba diver ?
or did he pull it up with a line & big treble hook, etc ?

wade
08-03-2013, 07:58 PM
just curious, HOW did he get it back ?
did he pull it up with a line & big treble hook, etc ?

Awesome story!
Hail to the Master GA!:notworthy::notworthy::cool:
He probably got it by downsizing to a mosquito hook:reel:

steveooo
08-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Way to help a brother out Greg. What a cool story :luxhello:

GregAndrew
08-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Will go into more detail tomorrow but, it was a GoPro and a glow iron that did the trick. That and a bit of luck.

jorluivil
08-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Can you find my missing sock?

Old Man in the Sea
08-03-2013, 08:45 PM
absolutely amazing!!!

StinkyMatt
08-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Greg is one of the coolest dudes you can meet on the water. Your kayak has a leak, he will loan you his. Your radio dies, he will give you one of his. Not to mention the numerous fishing lessons.

Greg, you are the man.

:you_rock:

Drake
08-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Will go into more detail tomorrow but, it was a GoPro and a glow iron that did the trick. That and a bit of luck.

I'm guessing GoPro Wifi App on your phone with live view?

GregAndrew
08-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Close Drake, but you don't actually get a "Live View" with the app. My thinking, was that the problem was to find out the orientation of the rod on the bottom so that I was dragging my snaggers in the best direction. So I intended to make a few short drifts around the mark that James gave me to spot the rod. After each drift I would check the video with the new app on my phone. When I spotted the rod I would start a pattern perpendicular to the rod over the route. I was going to mark the starting and ending point of each drift to keep the rod orientation relative to something. So, on the first 3 minute drift I get the first 30 seconds of this video (btw: I tied on a Megabait to drag behind the camera, but the hooks were not big enough).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpcINQqQPw

Needless to say, that was pretty damn lucky. So then I start my perfect pattern to cover the ground meticulously.
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu228/GregAndrew/20130804_153047_zpsfdc54322.jpg (http://s650.photobucket.com/user/GregAndrew/media/20130804_153047_zpsfdc54322.jpg.html)

Did I mention that the wind and current were up? lol Anyway, within 30 minutes of spotting the rod my glow iron got the lucky pick, and up came the rod. I had the Megabait on the downrigger, my Squid jig on one side and the Iron on the other. That GoPro App is pretty kewl, and would be even better if I could see my damn phone screen in the sunlight.

Drake
08-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Close Drake, but you don't actually get a "Live View" with the app. My thinking, was that the problem was to find out the orientation of the rod on the bottom so that I was dragging my snaggers in the best direction. So I intended to make a few short drifts around the mark that James gave me to spot the rod. After each drift I would check the video with the new app on my phone. When I spotted the rod I would start a pattern perpendicular to the rod over the route. I was going to mark the starting and ending point of each drift to keep the rod orientation relative to something. So, on the first 3 minute drift I get the first 30 seconds of this video (btw: I tied on a Megabait to drag behind the camera, but the hooks were not big enough).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpcINQqQPw

Needless to say, that was pretty damn lucky. So then I start my perfect pattern to cover the ground meticulously.
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu228/GregAndrew/20130804_153047_zpsfdc54322.jpg (http://s650.photobucket.com/user/GregAndrew/media/20130804_153047_zpsfdc54322.jpg.html)

Did I mention that the wind and current were up? lol Anyway, within 30 minutes of spotting the rod my glow iron got the lucky pick, and up came the rod. I had the Megabait on the downrigger, my Squid jig on one side and the Iron on the other. That GoPro App is pretty kewl, and would be even better if I could see my damn phone screen in the sunlight.

Great job! That's a true friend.

On my Android App, I can turn the camera on, and watch it live through my phone screen with about a 3-4 second delay depending on the distance. You can't be recording at the same time though.

makobob
08-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Pretty awesome, Greg how do you get the camera to photo depth and keep it there?

Deamon
08-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Greg Andrews...I am thoroughly impressed. THAT was well done. Jim

CKallday71
08-04-2013, 04:35 PM
I love the fact that I keep running into REALLY cool people the deeper I get into this hobby. The same, unfortunately, is not true of some of my other hobbies.

Way to be a Good Guy Greg!

addicted2sp33d
08-04-2013, 05:06 PM
That's amazing, Greg! :notworthy::notworthy:

GregAndrew
08-04-2013, 06:29 PM
It was more entertaining than most of my recent fishing outings. It also gave me a good push to get the App working correctly. Bob, I use a 4# downrigger ball on a downrigger to keep it at depth. Drake, the delay was what I was talking about. But the WiFi does not work thru water either.

Hobie-Pedaller
08-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Greg,

now that's a fairly advanced use of multiple technologies AND equipment there.

very impressive technical/mechanical achievement !!!
as well as a very cool gesture on your part. :you_rock:

StinkyMatt
08-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Damn Greg......You are a LUCKY SOB!

Take me to VEGAS!

roby
08-05-2013, 05:23 AM
Greg can pretty much damn near catch anything in the ocean....

:reel:

bigbarrels
08-05-2013, 08:01 AM
We need a Catch of the Week section:notworthy:

Raskal311
08-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Just curious but what type of damage should one expect on a reel thats been in the water that long?

GregAndrew
08-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Funny you should ask that Raskal. The hook, while showing signs of rust, was still mostly shiny. So those of you that think a hook is gonna rust out in a few days might need to rethink. There was little to no corrosion apparent on the outside of the reel. But then again, it was a Sealine, and they really are bullet proof.

blitzburgh
08-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Mr. Andrew...:notworthy:

fehays
08-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Damn Greg......You are a LUCKY SOB!

Take me to VEGAS!

True, some luck there for sure. But, dang.... MAD skills Mr. Andrew. Well done sir.

Cattledog
08-05-2013, 12:53 PM
That's an amazing piece of video and quite an accomplishment!

theluckypig
08-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Just curious but what type of damage should one expect on a reel thats been in the water that long?

i soaked the reel in fresh water over night. the next day the reel feels as good as new! i was planning to take it in to be serviced, but now i may just use it... like greg said, "bulletproof"!

RobFish
08-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Superman indeed.
Always willing to teach you something, help with your catch, and now, retrieve your rod from DJL.
Superb.

T Bone
08-07-2013, 06:38 AM
All this talk of luck and Skill...

That is what makes a good fisherman great.

Greg is all of that and also a fantastic human being.Thanks again Greg:)

janines.fishtales@cox.net
08-07-2013, 08:25 AM
What a great story, and a good friend too. Priceless!

:you_rock:

Janine

OutdoorAdvntr
08-07-2013, 10:18 AM
i'm impressed :you_rock:

looks like this is better than a fishfinder, you can actually see at the bottom :D

maui jim
08-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Greg... You best be playing Powerball Lotto tonite...

Well done Greg!! :reel:

Bigfish92084
08-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Wow!!! Awesome, just awesome.
I'm finding out how cool most of the fishing kayakers are.
Looking forward to meeting some of you soon.

Thanks for posting the video... was really neat to see.
How deep was it?

GregAndrew
08-07-2013, 08:32 PM
65 feet

FishNinjaY
08-08-2013, 02:21 AM
i soaked the reel in fresh water over night. the next day the reel feels as good as new! i was planning to take it in to be serviced, but now i may just use it... like greg said, "bulletproof"!

:icon_bs: what? Greg didn't do a complete tear down and service on the reel before returning it to you? Sheeesh.. :rolleyes:

Greg's awesome.. met him on the Islander and saw his GoPro skillz in person. Impressive, to say the least! My son loved his halibut video also!

He targets a specific rod & reel, and gets it! I can barely target lizardfish!

Awesome story!

wiredantz
08-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Greg is one amazing guy

467echo
08-08-2013, 07:52 AM
That is just badass, to see your setup sitting on the ocean floor. Too bad you didn't hook something at the same time. If I ever drop gear in the drink I won't feel bad, I'll just call Greg!!:cheers1:

GregAndrew
08-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Mark the spot first!!