PDA

View Full Version : Who says PA's can't capsize?

addicted2sp33d
08-21-2013, 02:09 PM
This dude had a bad day.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NKSnRKLJpq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CR Yaker
08-21-2013, 02:15 PM
That vids old. Been examined and talked about for a long time. How about a shot of the Titanic going down if we're going back in time?
If I remember correctly you can read from the author first hand plus discussion over on the Hobie forum. :doh:From his report, sounds like he started getting wind gusts in excess of 50mph (Although I don't see it). Also I think he made a mistake in riding parallel to those breaking waves/wind. Could have happened on any other kayak. Notice how he incorrectly shifts his weight to amplify the turn over.
Funny, when you look at how easy and low he was when he turned over you would think he had a lot of water in his hull from beforehand. Anyways, never heard or seen anyone else with this problem in the years after it was posted and discussed.
Disclaimer: I do not own a Hobie PA.

ful-rac
08-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Yep, that one's old alright....I haven't capsized my PA in open water yet, just in the surf.

Yeah that guy was out there in pretty extreme conditions, with his seat in the high position...he shouldn't have been out there....

Dail14
08-21-2013, 02:21 PM
When the swell makes you feel like you are going to flip its time to secure everything you have and get to shore. I store my rods below the deck of my stealth twelve even when its lake conditions out. Better to prepare for the worst than to possibly lose gear.;)

TJones
08-21-2013, 06:37 PM
But since we are on the subject. Has anyone flipped it in surf? What would happen to chair? Would it end up damaged goods?

salty pirate
08-21-2013, 07:07 PM
But since we are on the subject. Has anyone flipped it in surf? What would happen to chair? Would it end up damaged goods?

only flipped once at lj, it was big for lj maybe 3-4ft tops. went over the falls sideways. came out unscathed except the shades.

Hammerhead_77
08-22-2013, 08:24 PM
I did that my first time out in LJ. Rolled it in the kelp no less.... big swells and i got seasick & vertigo for the first time. Get your head outside the yak and anything can roll.