PDA

View Full Version : Setting up PFD fpr Night fishing/Hoop Netting

Comanche
10-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Still working on a few things before I can get in the water...I might have to wait till end of season. Budget is tight but workable.

I wanted to show off my PFD to see what you guys think and what you may suggest that I should and or take off.

Whats have on it right now -Glow stick's front and back. VHF. Knife.Whistle. GPS.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/tunaboss/SAM_0204_zps1f748157.jpg (http://s270.photobucket.com/user/tunaboss/media/SAM_0204_zps1f748157.jpg.html)

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/tunaboss/SAM_0205_zpsd2ea18bb.jpg (http://s270.photobucket.com/user/tunaboss/media/SAM_0205_zpsd2ea18bb.jpg.html)

What do you guys think? Is is good enough for night fishing and lobster hooping?

Cbad Mike
10-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Last night was my first time hooping so I'm not even a beginner but I like that your taking safety seriously. The glow stick on the back is not a bad idea. The glow stick on the front may cut down on your night vision which you will need to see your floats. I think the front one is a good idea if you don't activate it unless you absolutely have to be seen.
I fish a lot in the dark and always use a good headlamp that also has a red light. The red light definitely helped last night.
Good luck.
:cheers1:

jorluivil
10-07-2013, 05:19 PM
You need to get the lights as high as possible.

Imagine this:
4-5 foot swells
Glow sticks at chest level
Boat headed your way
Now he sees you, now he don't
I'm sure you know Where this is going.

As an ex-private boater and now kayaker I'm speaking from experience. Make yourself as visible as possible from as far away as possible.

Comanche
10-07-2013, 05:43 PM
You need to get the lights as high as possible.

Imagine this:
4-5 foot swells
Glow sticks at chest level
Boat headed you way
Now he sees you, now he don't
I'm sure you know Where this is going.

As an ex-private boater and now kayaker I'm speaking from experience. Make yourself as visible as possible from as far away as possible.

Thankyou for suggestion and information on your experience I will put that into use.

Any other ways of making my kayak more visaible besides decking out in SOL tape and Visi Pole?.

Comanche
10-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Last night was my first time hooping so I'm not even a beginner but I like that your taking safety seriously. The glow stick on the back is not a bad idea. The glow stick on the front may cut down on your night vision which you will need to see your floats. I think the front one is a good idea if you don't activate it unless you absolutely have to be seen.
I fish a lot in the dark and always use a good headlamp that also has a red light. The red light definitely helped last night.
Good luck.
:cheers1:

Thankyou...Good to know I'm on the right path of being safe. Later once I get more fit and get gear'd up I come on here to look for a lobster buddy for my area.

easyday
10-08-2013, 09:48 AM
I use reflective strips and my seat has a reflective strip on it, I have the yak attack light pole. I have a headlamp on my head always (not always turned on), and I carry a 170 lumen sure fire flashlight if I really need to get someones attention. The light stick on your vest will definitely affect your night vision.

Comanche
10-08-2013, 04:39 PM
I use reflective strips and my seat has a reflective strip on it, I have the yak attack light pole. I have a headlamp on my head always (not always turned on), and I carry a 170 lumen sure fire flashlight if I really need to get someones attention. The light stick on your vest will definitely affect your night vision.

Thankyou for the great advice!!!

I was thinking about taking a 200 lumen spot light, Pretty small and waterproof... But now I know its a must have.

How do you get stickers to stick to the side of malibu's?

easyday
10-08-2013, 04:43 PM
How do you get stickers to stick to the side of malibu's?

I use the reflective strips from harbor freight they are super sticky and I het em up a bit with a heat gun before I put me on to get the glue nice ant tacky. I've had em on there for about 3 months and they are just not starting to peel off but they are super cheap so its no big deal I fi replace em every 4 months or so.

tacmik
10-08-2013, 08:02 PM
You might try putting an electric lantern inside your hatch. Lights up the whole yak like a glow stick. Also need some blood on your vest.

lobstersoup
10-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Nice setup!

Comanche
10-09-2013, 09:53 PM
I use the reflective strips from harbor freight they are super sticky and I het em up a bit with a heat gun before I put me on to get the glue nice ant tacky. I've had em on there for about 3 months and they are just not starting to peel off but they are super cheap so its no big deal I fi replace em every 4 months or so.

Thanks for the Tip I will have to try this!

Comanche
10-09-2013, 09:55 PM
You might try putting an electric lantern inside your hatch. Lights up the whole yak like a glow stick. Also need some blood on your vest.

Not a bad idea, I'll see how it looks. As for the Blood still working on that...Not with the storm it looks like I'll have to wait till the LA river dumps out and clears before hitting the water.