PDA

View Full Version : Possibly selling the yak soon

easyday
10-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Im moving out of my hoise on base and into apartment's and im not sure if the garage is going to be big enough to fit a 14 1/2 foot kayak. I may just suck it up and get a storage unit. It will be a sad day if I have to see it go.:thumbdown:

Raskal311
10-12-2013, 08:35 PM
I think its about a buck a day to store it at dana point jet sky.

JohnnyCope
10-12-2013, 09:16 PM
I believe garages are typically at minimum 10x20 to 12x20 for a single car. Having lived in a number of apartments the smallest I had was a 10x20. With the storage unit idea you could be putting from 100 to 200 a month for a 10x15. With the case that it does not fit, you can always down grade to a stealth-12 or upgrade to a hobie outback which is also around 12 feet.

easyday
10-12-2013, 09:31 PM
I was looking at an outback, but the loss on the cash I would take selling and buying an outback would be the issue. Also with this gov shutdown right now im not even sure ill be getting my disability pay so cash will be tight, but hopefully that wont keep me off the water.

JohnnyCope
10-13-2013, 01:12 AM
If you have everything set up with VA before your new EAS date you maybe looking at 2 to 3 months before payment, so expect back pay. Granted this was my case in 2008.

Drake
10-13-2013, 02:02 AM
Disability keeps getting paid

Sdspeed
10-13-2013, 02:59 AM
With the seat and crate off it can ya put it in the center of the garage and stradle it with your Blazer? Garage is most likely to short at the door to lock and store it on top of your new racks on the Blazer. Long shots but worth thinking about.

easyday
10-13-2013, 06:26 AM
Disability keeps getting paid

I looked at the va website and my buddy got a call that basically said as far as I understand that after the 17th the va will be out of money. And on the 27th most of the va will be shut down except for healthcare because those funds are allocated a month in advance. I already know that I will not be receiving advance travel pay for my move and seperation, and I will not be receiving any money for my leave days im selling back until who knows when. I felt compelled to write my congressman about how this shutdown is affecting military members around the globe and got a automated e mail that says he cant respond due to the shutdown.

easyday
10-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Straight off of the va website

Claims processing and payments in the compensation,pension, education,andvocational rehabilitation programs are anticipated to continue through late October . However,in the event of a prolonged shutdown,claims processing and payments in these programs would be suspended when available funding is exhausted. :eek:

Jimmyz123
10-13-2013, 06:48 AM
Trust me, I have sold my Kayaks for many reasons from finances to upgrading, and those times when I didn't have a kayak to get out on were very painful. Logging on and reading post of people catching fish drives you nuts man. Find a buddy, or place that will allow you to store the Kayak, it will do a lot toward keeping your sanity in tact. Trust me, I know. Now that I finally have the Kayak I've been wanting, I won't be selling it.

Sdspeed
10-13-2013, 07:29 AM
If your staying in the Oceanside area here's a garage avaiable on a month to month. Maybe there is another BWE member who'd split the cost to give themselves more room at home. At least it's month to month so you don't have to give the yak away in a panic. Just a thought.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/prk/4118178323.html

bus kid
10-13-2013, 07:37 AM
I always have room in my garage for fellow Jarhead. you can store for free and I will give you a key PM me if you need it.

rossman
10-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Hoist?

William Novotny
10-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Hoist?

Thats what I was thinking.

CKallday71
10-13-2013, 01:08 PM
If you don't mind the drive to riverside you can store it in my garage for free brother.

echo1er
10-13-2013, 01:27 PM
You could leave on base at my house I live by snco

flemdogg
10-13-2013, 02:14 PM
I got out of the corps back in may. Did 4 pumps to both iraq/afghan plus got medevaced on the last one. Still waiting on my disability to take affect. There was a bill passed a few years back that funds the VA one year in advance. Problem is there is no rule book on how to distribute those funds amongst the va departments. Im a full time student now and recieved my gi bill for this past month, called the va center on campus and asked about next month due to the shutdown. Counselors say they dont know if va edu checks will be cut. Point is. There is none, it is a shitty situation for guys like us. As for the kayak, do whatever you can to keep it man, but if it comes down to it, do what you have to do. Definately love seeing all the offers to hold it for you. Have a good sunday erryyyybody

DanaPT
10-13-2013, 02:38 PM
This gov't shut down is an embarrassing portrayal as to how we treat those who have given/sacrificed the most for our country. Our lawmakers ought to be ashamed each time their direct deposit hit's their account.

Despite what's going on... We still live in the best country on the planet.

We should all begin to apply pressure to our representatives and demand they get this worked out.

Easy I can house your yak at my place for a while. At least it would be on your way to/from the DP launch.

Smthtnnr
10-13-2013, 04:00 PM
The government shutdown truly is embarrassing. Really hoping you don't have to give up the yak man!

rieffer
10-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Hey Josh, If you need a place in O.C. let me know! You can't beat the price for a fellow jarhead! S.F.

SirGeorgeKillian
10-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Most apartments have balconies. The guy I bought my Yak from had it covered and stored on his second story balcony.

easyday
10-13-2013, 07:50 PM
The good news is I got hired on full time ay my part time job so at least I wont have to worry on that front. And I went to the apartments today and measured the garage and it looks like it will just squeak by on hanging on the wall. Thanks for all the offers. Im still amazed on how nice everyone on here is and how most will go out of the way to help a guy out. So glad I got into kayak fishing.

Sdspeed
10-13-2013, 08:09 PM
The good news is I got hired on full time ay my part time job so at least I wont have to worry on that front. And I went to the apartments today and measured the garage and it looks like it will just squeak by on hanging on the wall. Thanks for all the offers. Im still amazed on how nice everyone on here is and how most will go out of the way to help a guy out. So glad I got into kayak fishing.

We're glad ya did too.:D
:cheers1:

alanw
10-13-2013, 09:25 PM

So now that you have room, can you store MY yak in your garage? :p
Congrats on the job dude.

easyday
10-13-2013, 10:42 PM
So now that you have room, can you store MY yak in your garage? :p
Congrats on the job dude.

Alan I am moving to the lake forrest area ill hold it for ya haha.

Raskal311
10-14-2013, 05:52 AM
Alan I am moving to the lake forrest area ill hold it for ya haha.

Nice, right in the middle of Dana and NP!